Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Keeping the house clean... WITHOUT a cleaning lady!
1  2  Next

debsters1101

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:29 pm
I work full time and have 3 kids. I just had to fire my cleaning lady :-( I am feeling very sorry for myself!!! Lol. It made financial sense to get a full time babysitter instead of farming the kids out all over, but that meant we had to get rid of the cleaning lady. The babysitter does tidy up but I am wondering how I am going to keep on top of washing the floors, bathrooms, linen, folding laundry. Those are the 4 hardest things for me that take the most time and make me wanna pull my hair out!!! When I get home from work it's all I can do to get the kids fed/ homework/bath/bed before I totally collapse in exhaustion on the couch. Where I sit and read imamother all night ;-) ok maybe I watch a show or 2 too. But seriously, scrub floors and toilets at 8 PM??? I can't!! I'm hoping someone here will have "cheating" shortcut tips or some sort of schedule to make the burden seem lighter. Also commiseraton will be welcomed :-)I

bookworm10

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:31 pm
I hear you Sad Sorry!!

Think of the time you save from having to drive kids all over.

Now try to divide the jobs into the exact amount of time it takes you- and split them throughout the week. Maybe do one on friday, one in the mornings before you leave, and the other two either right when you get home or after kids are asleep. I feel like once you have a set schedule, it becomes managable.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:34 pm
Wash it once a week!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:39 pm
Hugs, hugs!

Floors: purchase products that make it easiest for you to clean. Like the scotch brite mop that is fun to use and the attachment goes into the washing machine. (I have 3 attachments so I can wash up to 3x a week and wash once a week with the rags)
If you can't seem to swing in with something like that, purchase the disposable swiffer

Laundry: keep a section of 3-4 hampers and make sure that everyone deposits their dirty laundry in the correct one. Decide how you like your laundry sorted and washed. (Ie. whites, darks, towels, etc.)
That will make it easier for you to just throw in an already sorted load.
Do 1-2 loads every day- only as much as you can manage to put away that same day.
Place clean folded laundry on children's beds and have them put it away themselves. Older children should get their clean laundry on their beds but they should fold themselves before putting away.

Linen: make a rotating system. Each room on a different day and/or week. Have children strip beds in the morning. Drop in to washing machine to wash. Come home and dry the linen. Then put it straight onto the beds so there is no folding or putting away.

Bathroom: keep an all purpose cleaner and paper towels near the sink. Wipe down after you brush your teeth at night. Do a quick wipe over toilet seat. Use ready disinfectant wipes if that helps you.
Then pour some mr clean into the toilet bowl. Allow to sit overnight. Swish in the morning with brush. Then flush.
After each bath and shower in the house, each person should be require to spray a scrub free shower cleaner that doesn't have to be rinsed.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

jaysmom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:42 pm
Clorox wipes, swifter...

chatouli

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:50 pm
I put the laundry in the washing machine in the morning and transfer it to the dryer when I get home. When the kids are asleep, I fold. I watch tv while folding, which makes it more or less bearable. If its the kids' laundry, my babysitter puts it away. If it is mine, I put it away when I'm done. I do the sheets once a week, usually on Sunday.

Bathrooms get done when I notice they are looking dingy. I use seventh generation wipes which clean the surfaces including toilets nicely. I try to wipe the sinks down before I go to bed but it doesn't always happen.

My standards may be lower than yours but between my babysitter tidying up and my actual cleaning, I feel like my house is usually fairly presentable. Maybe you could ask your babysitter to clean a bit if there's a downtime while kids are sleeping? It would probably be cheaper than hiring a separate cleaning lady. My babysitter isn't into it but she's so good with the kids that it's ok. Like I said...lower standards Smile

marina

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:52 pm
Lower your standards. I wash the floors and vacuum on the weekends. I clean the bathrooms once a week tops, tops. Laundry once a week.

It's fine. No, my house doesn't sparkle. But at least I clean up my own ****.

debsters1101

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:55 pm
Thanks guys. Ra_mom what kind of shower spray doesn't need to be rinsed? Will it work well for the tub too?
I do have a swiffer wet jet which is good for spills and stuff but I don't see that it works so well to mop the whole house with...

debsters1101

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 6:57 pm
Oh trust me ladies my standards are the lowest of the low lol I would be thrilled if each room was cleaned once a week tops

jaysmom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:01 pm
I agree that swifter doesn't always do a great job. Can you crank up the music, give the kids some baby wipes, put some Clorox wipes under your shoes and do the twist? It won't be perfect, but maybe better than swifter. Floor might not sparkle, but it might be faster than mopping. Just an idea.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:17 pm
we never had cleaning help BUT everyone pitches in, dh too. divvy up the work and be happy

Simple1

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:24 pm
Refrigerator can be done one shelf or small section at a time when you get a chance - rather than making it a major job. Actually it would be better to clean up spills as they happen - but it's not always possible because some spills go unnoticed.

Marina, I always wondered if you can get the same sparkly look without the cleaning lady.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:32 pm
I also hate housework and I am usually too tired to tackle it. When I don't have cleaning help I only make sure to straighten up kitchen each night (I leave dishes soaking till I'm good and ready!!), take out the garbage and do the laundry. Then ONCE and week and ONLY once a week I set aside 2 hours to clean the whole house. Guess what? I have a big house ... so usually only the downstairs got done. Almost no one sees the upstairs bedrooms and bathroom anyway! One very helpful thing was to buy a laundry basket for each bedroom . This way I don't have this overwhelming mountain of dirty laundry - instead just a few neat baskets in each room. When they are full (every 2-3 days I wash). ONLY take the laundry out of the dryer if you can fold each piece right away and put in the drawers - otherwise you will end up with a mountain of clean laundry which can be VERY overwhelming if there is no cleaning lady to come fold. Use your once a week cleaning hours instead of exercising - what a work out - shlepping arounnd the vacuum cleaner and mopping! see ... now you're saving money on the gym too!!

mommyhood

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:35 pm
Can you get your babysitter to do the laundry, or at least fold it. My babysitter won't clean but she will fold and put away laundry which is a big help.
I do my cleaning on motzei Shabbos and Sundays, it's the only way I can do it.

mommyhood

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hugs, hugs!

Floors: purchase products that make it easiest for you to clean. Like the scotch brite mop that is fun to use and the attachment goes into the washing machine. (I have 3 attachments so I can wash up to 3x a week and wash once a week with the rags)
If you can't seem to swing in with something like that, purchase the disposable swiffer

Laundry: keep a section of 3-4 hampers and make sure that everyone deposits their dirty laundry in the correct one. Decide how you like your laundry sorted and washed. (Ie. whites, darks, towels, etc.)
Do 1-2 loads every day- only as much as you can manage to put away that same day.
Place clean folded laundry on children's beds and have them put it away themselves. Older children should get their clean laundry on their beds but they should fold themselves before putting away.

Linen: make a rotating system. Each room on a different day and/or week. Have children strip beds in the morning. Drop in to washing machine to wash. Come home and dry the linen. Then put it straight onto the beds so there is no folding or putting away.

Bathroom: keep an all purpose cleaner and paper towels near the sink. Wipe down after you brush your teeth at night. Do a quick wipe over toilet seat. Use ready disinfectant wipes if that helps you.
Then pour some mr clean into the toilet bowl. Allow to sit overnight. Swish in the morning with brush. Then flush.
After each bath and shower in the house, each person should be require to spray a scrub free shower cleaner that doesn't have to be rinsed.

ra-mom can you show a link for the mop, I only see one for hardwood floors?

debsters1101

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 7:40 pm
I'm considering asking the babysitter to take charge of the kids laundry. They have their own hamper so its already separated anyway. And perhaps I only need to mop mop the dining room and kitchen and can get away with swiffering the rest of the house (I have mostly hardwood floors)....
Ideas are forming, thanks!
And whoever made the comment about the fridge, thanks for the giggle :-) even my cleaning lady didn't do my fridge more than maybe twice a year.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 8:05 pm
I love the scotch brite mop, bought at costco.
There are many similar mops on the market. The main thing is that it has a washable towel like material that goes over it, so that you can wash it out in the washing machine. It comes with one extra or you can buy refills. The mop can break, but the towel pieces so far have held up quite well. I use a floor cleaner with very hot water, and it always comes out clean. It's quick and easy.

debsters1101

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 8:07 pm
I will have to look into that thanks!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 8:39 pm
debsters1101 wrote:
Thanks guys. Ra_mom what kind of shower spray doesn't need to be rinsed? Will it work well for the tub too?
I do have a swiffer wet jet which is good for spills and stuff but I don't see that it works so well to mop the whole house with...
yes, it's meant for the tub. Everyone has to spray the tub once they're done using it.
It can be hard to find. Last time I purchased it at Duane Reade, I believe it's their own brand.
Keep looking for a rinse free spray in the cleaning aisle of every store you go to.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 8:43 pm
mommyhood wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Hugs, hugs!

ra-mom can you show a link for the mop, I only see one for hardwood floors?
iirc, it says it's for hardwood floors, but really it's good for all. Read the reviews.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics