Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Anxiety about submitting final grades

ruth

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 2:15 am
I'm a new teacher. I've been anxious about submitting this semester's final grades.

In my 12th grade Lit class, many of my students are so preoccupied with "Halleli" so they haven't turned in their assignments. They aren't motivated to do their work.

My dilemma is how to handle issuing the low grade and possibly losing the student's inclination to bother trying.

I've conjoled them repeatedly and one student told me I should just let them get the grade they deserve. (She's an "A" student whose grade declined to a B because of missed assignments.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 4:44 am
Why should you reward them for not doing the work?

My daughter is having a different problem with one of her teachers. She does the work, she participates in class, she does all the assignments (and is often the only one who does), does well on tests and the teacher still grades her report card on the low side. For my daughter, her motivation is going out the window because of this teacher's strict grading practice.

If you're girls are already unmotivated, maybe a low grade is the kick in the pants they need.

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 5:26 am
I agree with Kmelion. These aren't 3rd graders you're talking about; they're 12th graders who should be aware by now that if they don't hand in assignments they fail the course. And if they don't know by now, then you'll be doing them a favour by teaching them that there are consequences for failing to fulfill one's responsibilities.

You don't need to have rachmonus on them, and definitely don't worry about their motivation! By the 2nd half of 12th grade, whatever you do is not going to have much of an effect on motivation.

Nomad

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 11:39 am
I had this with college kids the first semester I taught - I felt really bad to give them a low grade - especially if I knew their situation.
buuut... I gave them what they deserved anyway - because how could I justify it otherwise? no one complained because they knew what they got on their tests, assignments...so that is the grade they were expecting.

grades have to reflect their work...dont feel bad!

ps - by the 12th grade, many girls dont really care about grades as much anymore anyway - especially if they know what seminary or college theyre going to already

good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics