Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did WIC (NY) stop giving kosher meat for babies?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 12:19 am
Just wondering if something changed or if my rep didn't know what she was talking about. She said there is no kosher meat on the acceptable foods chart, so it isn't on WIC anymore. But the chart she was looking at said 2010, and she said that was the most recent version, and my first child was definitely getting the Tuv Taam baby meats in 2011! Don't know if I'd miss it all that much, we had tons of leftovers, but it probably came in handy some. And maybe my current baby will like it better and then I can feed her protein more easily.

I have three months to figure this out, because she was just forecasting towards my next appointment - we aren't up to baby food yet.

Last edited by seeker on Fri, Feb 15 2013, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

imasoftov

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 7:06 am
Please change the title to something that does not imply cannibalism. Thank you.

AlwaysThinking

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 8:55 am
imasoftov wrote:
Please change the title to something that does not imply cannibalism. Thank you.

LOL

bnm

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 11:00 am
are you fully nursing? only fully nursing get meat/chicken.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 11:31 am
Someone in the grocery asked me just yesterday what she should do with so much meat she's getting on WIC. so it's still being given.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 12:49 pm
bnm wrote:
are you fully nursing? only fully nursing get meat/chicken.

First of all, yes I'm fully nursing. Secondly, I have never heard of nursing people getting any meat or chicken, only the babies get it once they're on to baby food instead of full-time nursing. ?

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 12:51 pm
And lol, I fixed the title but that was a good one embarrassed

Mamabear, thanks. Would love to have more details from someone on wic who could help explain how to get it. Last kid got it automatically but now the wic office (same place!) seems to have no clue about this Confused

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 12:52 pm
I've gotten baby meats in the past three months.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 1:49 pm
I never knew WIC offered meat. Been getting it for a few years, and while pregnant, and was never even given meat as a choice. In NY.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 1:55 pm
For exclusively nursing mothers they give jars of baby chicken and meat (tuv taam) in addition to fruit and veggie jars.

Someone from imamother once had an overflow from hers and helped me out by giving them to me. I was very grateful.

bnm

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:19 pm
seeker wrote:
And lol, I fixed the title but that was a good one embarrassed

Mamabear, thanks. Would love to have more details from someone on wic who could help explain how to get it. Last kid got it automatically but now the wic office (same place!) seems to have no clue about this Confused

if your baby is listed as getting formula or even partially formula you aren't eligible for the meat/chicken or at least that's what I was told by my baby. I fully nursed the first, fully formula fed the second. formula is iron fortified, apparently they think breastmilk isn't

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:26 pm
Maybe try a different wic office - in wmsbg you probably wouldnt have any trouble.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:27 pm
I am fully nursing and eligible for meat but they said they don't give the kosher brand. Sounds like that caseworker just didn't know. Hope we get a better one next time.

Also annoying: Baby will be 7 months when we go back. They generally start food at 6 months. Why couldn't they just give us baby food for our May checks already? They insist on doing all 3 months the same. I could really use it already! For DD#1 I made food purees myself but I had fewer kids and more time back then...

bnm

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:35 pm
seeker wrote:
I am fully nursing and eligible for meat but they said they don't give the kosher brand. Sounds like that caseworker just didn't know. Hope we get a better one next time.

Also annoying: Baby will be 7 months when we go back. They generally start food at 6 months. Why couldn't they just give us baby food for our May checks already? They insist on doing all 3 months the same. I could really use it already! For DD#1 I made food purees myself but I had fewer kids and more time back then...

that's weird. we definitely had different stuff on different checks at the same time. she would even ask if we prefer beans or bread and she alternated months. sounds like your worker is lazy or just doesn't know.

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:37 pm
Dang. Well, that's good to know for the future... I think now that our checks are printed for the next 3 months it's too late to change anything.

I also don't understand why they're so into juice. So much extra sugar and calories. They should give more fruit money instead.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:38 pm
seeker wrote:

If your kid would've been turning 5 yrs old in April, they wouldn't insist on all checks being the same. They wouldnt give you checks for that kid for the month of May.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 2:52 pm
The juice thing is NUTS. Both of my kids were 'high risk' between 2 and 3 bc they were off the charts in weight. I told them - it's your own fault, why are you giving me so much money for juice? Of course my kid drinks tons of apple juice!

bnm

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 3:07 pm
seeker wrote:
Dang. Well, that's good to know for the future... I think now that our checks are printed for the next 3 months it's too late to change anything.

I also don't understand why they're so into juice. So much extra sugar and calories. They should give more fruit money instead.
I have gotten checks changed after printing. they gave us for formula and we had to switch formulas

amother

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 3:38 pm
I used to work at WIC until relatively recently ( I was there when the baby meat thing started) If you are in the system as exclusively nursing, which means you have NEVER gotten any formula for this baby, you are entitled to baby meats in addition to the fruit and vegetable jars when the baby turns 6 months old. What is the begin date on your third month of checks? If the date is before the date of your babys b-day, even if it is in the month that the baby will turn 6 months old, the foods will begin the next month of checks.
In any case, if your babys bday is before the date on the ckecks, and you are EXCLUSIVELY nursing in the system as I said above, you can call and tell them you need to change your checks

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 3:47 pm
Thanks for explaining. The check date is ONE DAY before baby's bday. Bummer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics