Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did WIC (NY) stop giving kosher meat for babies?
Previous  1  2

chavamom

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 4:39 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The juice thing is NUTS. Both of my kids were 'high risk' between 2 and 3 bc they were off the charts in weight. I told them - it's your own fault, why are you giving me so much money for juice? Of course my kid drinks tons of apple juice!

Wait. So who exactly "made you" pour apple juice down their throats instead of water?

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 4:56 pm
Nobody did. But if they pay for it, then you end up buying it, and you end up using it! If they would only give that $$$ equivalent for fruits and veggies instead.

bnm

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 5:00 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Nobody did. But if they pay for it, then you end up buying it, and you end up using it! If they would only give that $$$ equivalent for fruits and veggies instead.

I bought the juices once to use in a recipe and we didn't like the outcome (orange chicken in the crockpot from pintrest) I just don't buy it. I mainly use my wic checks for formula, veggies, brown rice etc.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Feb 15 2013, 5:10 pm
When I was on wic we didn't use all the checks. Whatever wouldn't be used wasn't bought.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 12:18 pm
seeker wrote:
And lol, I fixed the title but that was a good one embarrassed

thanks!

ntm1

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:
I never knew WIC offered meat. Been getting it for a few years, and while pregnant, and was never even given meat as a choice. In NY.

Same Here!!

Alef Bais

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 9:37 pm
My baby just started solids last month and we're getting the meats.
They give a whole lot!
My other kids took a liking to them so at least I don't have a problem with what to do with them because my baby doesn't eat that much.

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 10:57 pm
They give enough for one a day.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 11:09 pm
The grocery stores dont like when you dont buy everything that's on the check...

bnm

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 11:11 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The grocery stores dont like when you dont buy everything that's on the check...

of course not because then they don't make the full amount. you can tell your wic worker not to even put it on your check. they don't put milk products or baby cereal on mine.

yidishmamma

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 11:28 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Maybe try a different wic office - in wmsbg you probably wouldnt have any trouble.
I use wmbg wic office and I actually didn't get it... I didn't ask cuz I forgot about it and my last baby didn't like it... I just give my own chicken

seeker

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 11:30 pm
bnm wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

of course not because then they don't make the full amount. you can tell your wic worker not to even put it on your check. they don't put milk products or baby cereal on mine.

I have no idea what either of you are talking about... the store gets whatever amount of money the sale was worth; if they don't sell juice to you they'll sell it to someone else, they don't lose anything. They just write down how much money your stuff cost.

Nobody's forcing anyone to buy juice, but the point of WIC is to encourage people to eat more healthy foods by giving them free, so I think juice is a silly choice. I do avail myself of the juice checks because DD likes juice. So does DH. But if it weren't on the checks, I would definitely be buying less of it and conserving it for Shabbos or maybe once a day instead of more often. I'd push water harder instead of just at bedtime. This makes it just too easy. I think the program really works; we definitely eat more whole wheat bread and drink more milk because of them being on WIC. But we do not eat more fruits and vegetables because of it; the WIC allowance covers maybe a fourth of my general fruit and veggie spending. Maybe less, I don't keep track so well. They say juice is like a fruit serving but FRUIT is a much better fruit serving, why not just give that? Silly. They also allow some cereals that are pretty nutritionally cheap but not some healthier ones that we like better. So we end up eating lots of Cheerios - unless DH does the shopping, in which case it's Life, and please explain to me how or why that's better than, say, Kashi? Corn Bran? It's pretty sweet, artificially.

yidishmamma

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 11:57 pm
Wic is silly cuz if someone is not exactly as the charts say its no good... My baby is now "high risk" cuz his weight is too low but his height is too tall... So he's not on chart... Soooo annoyed

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 4:49 am
I've been told the store will only take rhe check if I buy everything on it.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 8:01 am
amother wrote:

They have to.
WIC says that you need to take everything on the check.
If there is something that you don't want , you are supposed to have WIC pull ito off your check.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 9:50 am
Cookies n Cream wrote:
amother wrote:

They have to.
WIC says that you need to take everything on the check.
If there is something that you don't want , you are supposed to have WIC pull ito off your check.

There is one store that I shop in that doesn't make me take everything on the checks. I don't give my kids juice so I don't take the juice unless I need it for a recipe.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics