Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Homemade Yogurt?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 1:00 pm
Does anyone here know how to make homemade yogurt? Would I be able to make yogurt from Soy Milk?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 3:10 pm
I have had Jofus before, they are soy based, but haven't seen them in years.

You need a starter.

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 6:56 pm
Yogurt from milk (or goats milk) is essential for our digestive system,. It helps the colon heal if there is an y indigestion and it’s just a great thing to get into a diet. For people with digestive diseases (crohn’s disease, IBS, colitis, autism, etc.), yogurt becomes a dietary staple, as many as 8 cups a day to heal and satisfy.

The Donvier yogurt machine is the best of the best, and Mrs. Weiss sells it on her website at http://www.digestivewellness.c......html and she gives ideas such as flavoring it with jam and granola. Send them an email info@... If it works with soy. Good Luck!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 10:22 pm
withhumor, thanks for all the info. I was told to stay off milk (casein). So I don't think regular milk would work. Have you ever made homemade yogurt?

cheerios

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 11:41 pm
Where can you get a starter? Are there soy starters?

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 9:31 am
I’m not sure exactly how the process works because I never used the machine or made my own yogurt. However on the front page of their website it says that all their products are casein free, and I’m pretty sure if you email them info@digestivewellness.com they will be able to tell you where to get the starters, and soy ones if available. Make sure to include your zip code or something. Good luck!

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 9:37 am
withhumor wrote:
I’m pretty sure if you email them info@digestivewellness.com

If u do email them, canyou post their response???

amother

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 11:01 am
I emailed them and I'll post their response.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 2:04 pm
OP-

I found this recipe online for soy yogurt. Anyone know how I can make it using a yogurt machine?

Soy Yogurt

Ingredients:

4 cups soymilk either commercial or home made soy milk by INTSOY method
(see http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/faq/f.....d=132 for soymilk recipe)
2 to 3 tablespoons plain commercial yogurt (Dannon Plain Yogurt, etc)
5 tablespoons cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla flavor or other flavor as desired
Fruit preserves (Optional)

Method:

1. Heat the pasteurized soy milk to 194°F (90°C) .

2. Add sugar to the heated soymilk base and keep the temperature at 194°F (90°C), heating only long enough to dissolve the sugar. Add flavor.

3. Cool the milk to 122°F (50°C). Add the commercial yogurt, gently mix the contents thoroughly and avoid the formation of foam. Pour the milk into cups and then seal with a cap.

4. Immediately place the cups into an incubator, or an oven at 106°F (41°C) for approximately 5 hours. After 4-1/2 hours of incubation, closely monitor the pH of the yogurt. When the pH reaches 4.3 or desired sourness, transfer the yogurt to a refrigerator at 36°F (2°C).

5. After 12 hours of refrigeration, the yogurt can be served.

Option: To make yogurt with fruit on bottom, place 2 to 3 teaspoons fruit preserve into the bottom of each of the yogurt cups. Gently fill the mixture from step 3 into yogurt cups to near the top and then seal with a cap. Soy yogurt can be made by a yogurt maker following the instruction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information is provided by:
Karl E. Weingartner, Ph. D.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 4:36 pm
OP here again.

So this is what I did. I ended up purchasing the Donvier Yogurt Maker. I called Donvier and they told me that I could use Soy Milk! I'll let you know how the yogurt comes out!! I am so excited, finally a solution--what to take for lunch Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:17 am
I got my Donvier Yogurt maker and I just finished a second batch of yogurt. I did not end up making yogurt from soy. I followed Mrs. Weiss' instructions and I used regular milk and made it for 24 hours, Its very easy to make. Its fresh and I save some money too. I eat it with strawberry jam or vanilla extract, The yogurt is delicous.

shoy18

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
OP-

Sorry to be mean, but why does a homemade yogurt recipe call for stare bought yogurt??????

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:02 pm
Good for you. If a batch didn't turn out, I was out the starter plus the milk and in the end I decided it wasn't worth it.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:05 pm
shoy18 wrote:
amother wrote:
OP-

Sorry to be mean, but why does a homemade yogurt recipe call for stare bought yogurt??????

shoy, the store bought has the starter in it. making yougurt is a process where you useyogurt to make yogurt. whatever ingredient it is, its easiest to get from the ready made yogurt. once u do your first batch, you can use some of that yogurt to make the next and the next etc.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 2:09 pm
but it gets thinner and thinner and eventually doen't work.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 4:52 pm
shoy18 wrote:
amother wrote:
OP-

Maybe because of the live culures it has in it?

withhumor

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 5:56 pm
Quote:
I followed Mrs. Weiss' instructions

Aren’t they the nicest people in the word? Ladies if you know anyone who has digestive issues or Ch”V a digestive illness, please contact Mrs. Weiss, she’s a shaliach from Hashem.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:12 pm
withhumor wrote:
Quote:
I followed Mrs. Weiss' instructions

Aren’t they the nicest people in the word? Ladies if you know anyone who has digestive issues or Ch”V a digestive illness, please contact Mrs. Weiss, she’s a shaliach from Hashem.

I am sure they are wonderful people. I actually got her recipe and instructions from her website.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:39 am
We just got a yogurt maker, but we got the yogourmet. You need the culture from the starter to make yogurt. There are nonkosher starters that are just a powder. I would looooooove it if there was a kosher starter that has a couple of different types of bacteria strains. I plan on using Danon. You can use your yogurt as a starter once or twice, but then the concentration of bacteria goes down.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:23 pm
You should email the weiss’s and give them your zip code, they will tell you if you can buy kosher ones nearby.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals