Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Has anyone ever homeschooled ?
Previous  1  2

NechamaF

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 10:29 am
I would be very interested in networking with parents who homeschool. I have not done it yet, but I am strongly considering homeschooling my older child next year. She is currently in 6th grade. Has anyone successfully homeschooled a middle school child? I am considering taking this step mainly for a couple of reasons. The main reason is based on financial considerations. I am trying to get out of past debt, mostly from past medical expenses and credit card debt and simply can no long confront the cost of tuition until this past situation is rectified. The other reason has to do with curriculum. Our local Yeshiva teaches a half day secular studies and half day limudei kodesh. They are inherently limited by the number of hours in the day and leave a lot out. Homeschooling, by nature, would seem eliminate hours spent on busy work and homework. My husband and I are teachers by profession, so I have worked out a good curriculum. There are also a couple of other homeschoolers in our small community, so I have some support. I would like to network with other parents of children of a similar age and to know if they have been accepted and supported by their Yeshiva schooled peers socially. I am also interested in the idea of creating a network of online Chevrusas for middle school homeschoolers, either in secular or Jewish studies. I wondered if there would be any interest in this?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 10:42 am
I am also seriously considering homeschooling next year. Mayne I'll pm u when I have more time.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 10:52 am
I heard a guest speaker named Rebbitzen Shani Katzman from Omaha Nebraska speak on that topic. She is a Lubavitcher shlucha and she homeschools. She was saying that it does not pay to obcess over covering every topic that a school would cover. The children learn a lot by spending the day helping the parents in their shlichis. They still spend hours a day learning and the age closest siblings are chavursas. She makes use of the resources that are available and there are tons of educational materials. See if there are any homeschoolers that you can make a book exchange with. When your children finish something trade with them. I also think that it is just a matter of time before money issues keep children from attending day schools. At least with homeschooling there is not the assimilation that occurs in public school. With day school tuition skyrocketing, it may cost less for one parent to stay home and homeschool, than for both to work and pay the enormous tuition.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 4:20 pm
We homeschooled for several years, but this year our kids are all in school. The oldest we homeschooled was through 5th grade, but we'll probably hs her again when she gets to the high school level.

marineparkimma

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 11:01 pm
hi nechamaf... we are homeschooling and we all love it... I am also an experienced teacher by profession so that helps a lot... there is a fantastic website called torch-d at shamash.org that is geared specifically for the frum crowd who hs and who's moderators I believe are from baltimore but they have members all over the world and they could help you resource wise and so forth... however, I would caution you to discuss your decisions with your daughter including her pros and cons regarding this matter before you commit to any final choice...

Hatzlacha Rabah...

NechamaF

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 9:27 am
Thanks so much for the website. As for taking into account my daughter's preferences, she is on board and interested in homeschooling. We are still deliberating and exploring curriculum resources. My biggest concern is what effect homeschooling may have on her socially. Middle school is a time when peer relationships take on a great deal of emphasis. Any thoughts?
Thanks

tziviakayla

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 9:53 am
At one point when my husband was in kollel, I considered homeschooling. It is a great alternative for school. We ended up not choosing to homeschool because I became pregnant with my 4th and did not feel I could handle being a a full-time teacher with a newborn, a toddler, a preschooler, and a kindergartener!
I have heard that there are groups of homeschooling parents who get their kids together for field trips, social activities and other group events. Check out what is available in your area. I have read many articles that say children who are homeschooled do not feel as though they are missing out on anything socially! It's great if you can do this!

marineparkimma

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 1:01 am
nechamaf, social skills is an issue that your daughter can answer for you- who are her current friends? has she discussed with them her plans for hsing? is she willing to work at maintaing those friendships outside of the daily school interaction? Are there any sunday youth groups or extra-curricular activities that she may be interested in that she may now have more time explore and broaden her social circles in? Is she interested in organizing shabbat afternoon "play dates" or perhaps melave malka slumber parties? Would you allow her to penpal via email with other frum hsers her age? Depending on how you define social skills and what you feel your daughter will be lacking in and thereof will help you determine what she needs... Hatzlacha...

amother

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 1:10 am
NechamaF wrote:
My biggest concern is what effect homeschooling may have on her socially. Middle school is a time when peer relationships take on a great deal of emphasis. Any thoughts?

My cousins were home schooled. My aunt took it very seriously but as an outsider, we were not impressed. Firsly- some of the kids have had a hard time integrating back in social circles with their peers. Secondly, it wasn't for all kids, and not all the kids were happy with the situation.

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 10:21 am
NechamaF - in case you didn't notice, a moderator apparently merged your thread with a previous thread on the same subject, so go back and see previous posts for more comments!

here's a comment I read that was posted to an article:

Quote:
I am French and I will try to express my self as best as I can in your language)

I am a father of four boys. They are now aged between 21 and 15. Raising four boys was a beautiful challenge for my wife and me. I can express my opinion on this subject because of our experiences. I can tell you that the best of the best way of raising children is home schooling. I could write pages of advantages, but let me give you a few;

1- Teaching G_d’s way, the right way
2- Children are raised by an adult, not by children (school yard, were they learn garbage from the world)
3- Children are tutored by an adult (one on one)
4- You choose the best material for you child
5- They are loved every day (they are with you from 0 to 16 years of age, it is very precious for you and you child)
6- School is done in the morning (calculate the time they are in class?) In the afternoon you have everything available for you (theatre, museum, concert, gym, skiing, skating)
7- You can have your vacations any time you want, you do not need to wait for March break…
8- It is cheaper to home school then sending your children to public school.
9- Etc.

Oh yes, I know what your thinking, every one that I talk to about home schooling told me the same thing and you are wrong. “How about there social life?” Ha! Do you remember the school yard? The bullies, the fighters, the other one that tells you are ugly, stupid, no good and so on and so on… You learn quickly to retreat, you become anti-social. At home they are not attacked by those situations, so they are not afraid to be social.

Oh another thing, career, well let me tell you how proud I am of the choice my made of her career. She his a wife, a home manager and a teacher. A career most wanted and to be very proud of when you see the fruit of it, your children…

My boys are more then happy to being home schooled. And today they are searching for there love mate and one of there criteria is to home school there on children.

It was the best of the best investment in our children’s life and very beautiful experience and the best souvenir of our life, but the best of all is planting the fear of the Lord G_d in there life.

When I was in first grade, my first teacher, she was old and wise, told me;
“A child is like a tree, if he starts growing crooked he will stay crooked, but if he starts strait he will stay strait”. I will add to this; if the roots are well planted nothing will make him fall…

Pierre

carrot

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 6:44 pm
Maybe those four boys formed a peer group for each other and that was OK, but in general kids NEED a peer group in order to develop normally and be able to manage life as an adult.

Yes, bullies are bad and can damage a kid for life - but having NO peers is also harmful.

elisecohen

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 7:28 am
But who says no peers? Many homeschooled children live a much more "natural" life in that sense; they spend time with other children in homeschooling groups, coop classes, clubs, and other organizations, and spend time interacting with adults in libraries, shops, gardens and the rest of the world much more than schooled children who are segregated strictly by age and intellect.

A family who homeschools and intentionally, unnecessarily isolates their child(ren) probably does not do so because of an inherent failure of homeschooling, but an inherent problem within the family. Just as there are successful and unsuccessful school programs, there are great and poor homeschooling situations. In my experience, though, the good homeschooling can far outshine the good school situations. For some families, given dynamics, academics, social needs, financial realities, and other reasons, homeschooling can definitely be a superior choice. It certainly isn't the best choice for everyone though.

carrot

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 7:56 am
Elise, I was responding to the article that Motek posted where it seems that the boys were totally isolated and only interacted with each other and Mommy and Daddy. Doesn't sound so beautiful to me. Sounds kind of scary, in fact.

In cases where there is other peer interaction, I agree - homeschooling can be great for kids and there is no reason they need to be so strictly segregated according to age.

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 5:50 pm
I hope this is helpful to any homeschoolers on board:
http://x.webring.com/hub?ring=homeschooling

happyone

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 7:18 pm
I give credit to the moms that homeschool. I can barely deal with homework...
I'm glad to leave the educational part to the school system, while I focus on my childrens chinuch, emotional and physical well being b'ruchnius and gashmius,

deedee

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 1:03 am
if u homeschooled there wouldn't be homework Wink

Anonymous

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 5:46 pm
The "socialization" issue is probably one of the biggest red herrings in the lexicon of homeschool vs. non-homeschool.

Kids who socialize too much in school are penalized for doing so. There are a lot of negative influences that peers have on each other -- even in yeshiva. My daughter who is now in school in pre-1A in an all girls' yeshiva is already coming home with mannerisms and vocabulary about which I am aghast and really displeased.

We are seriously considering homeschooling for a number of reasons. Primarily, I don't like the length of the yeshiva day -- I don't want my 6 year old (or 10 year old for that matter) in school for 8 or more hours a day. I think the expectation that a child can learn productively for that long, even with a recess and lunch, is totally absurd, not to mention counterproductive to the learning process and development of a love for learning. My daughter already says she "misses me" in school for such a long day -- she is there 9-3. As a kindergartner I went to school half a day (and later went on to get a Ph.D.). The fact that some kids can handle it doesn't mean it's appropriate for all kids.

Having a little one in school that long of a day means that I'd only get to see my kid in the early a.m. -- when everything is rushed -- and in the late afternoon/early evening -- when everyone is kind of crabby and dinner and bedtime are rushed. I don't want to look back on my kids' childhood and wonder, did I miss the whole thing?!

Another strong reason for us is the cost of yeshiva tuition. We also have student debt we're trying to pay off, and next year first grade is going to cost almost $11K. I know that's not outrageous in comparison to other private schools or even other yeshivas, but for us it's a major hardship.

If I wasn't religious, homeschooling would be a no-brainer. Having gone to public school myself, there is NO WAY I would ever even remotely entertain the idea of sending my kids to public school -- regardless of my level of religiosity. The fact that I am now frum is what is keeping me "on the fence." It's hard enough to be a ba'alat teshuva without then further going against the grain by choosing to do something so off-beat like homeschooling. So it's a tough choice, but still one that I do think is in our near future.

By the way, Elise, remember me from Silver Spring? (Nicole)

roza

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 8:11 pm
for (3-8 grades) limudei chol - I strongly recommend http://www.studyisland.com/

This online based program is standard in many schools and homeschools, has self pacing lessons on all major areas, testing, progress report. A child can do it all by himself with little help from parent. It's basically online school.

marineparkimma

Post Wed, Mar 29 2006, 7:04 pm
hi all... in order to be seriously considering homeschooling and/or continue homeschooling there are two major factors that must be met:
1. a supremely huge and willing amount of patience
2. a supremely huge and willing desire to be with your kids all the time

All other social, financial and psychological impacts will all revolve around the ramifications of the supportive, loving, nurturing and positive daily interaction your child should receive from you (and any other siblings who may be around) in order to make a successful homeschool experience.[/u]
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics