Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Whats type of storage containers do you use in your kitchen?

happymother4

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 10:45 pm
im trying to organize my kitchen cabinet and have seen pictures of some that look sooo organized with everything in containers. everytime I organize this cabinet after a few days everything is flying again Sad was wondering if any of you have any advice as to where to buy these containers and if it makes sense to use them??? thanks!!

zaq

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 11:15 pm
No, it doesn't, because there will never be an end to it. Companies change their products every so often to encourage people to buy more. The matched sets come out to be very expensive. Unless you're prepared to replace all your containers every now and then, you will eventually end up with a hodegepodge, anyway. And no one company will have exactly all the sizes and shapes you need or want.

furthermore, if you're not a neat person, having a nice collection of matching containers won't make you so. you'll just have a messy set of matching containers.

I happen to like rectangular or square containers with rounded edges, finding them the most space-efficient while still being easy to clean. I also love glass gefilte fish and coffee jars, my only complaint being that they contain a maximum of 24 fluid ounces, which is OK for some leftovers and things like one-pound sacks of dried beans and peas, but not for storing food in great quantity.

I have a few large wide-mouth screw-cap plastic canisters for bulk items like flour and sugar, each capable of holding an entire sackful. I got them in dollar stores or cheapie housewares stores.

most of my storage containers go in the fridge. I love wide-mouth glass screw-cap jars saved from things like jam and salsa. Glass jars are getting more and more rare, though. Sometimes I buy something in glass more for the jar than for the product.

If you buy several jars of gefilte fish for Pesach, you have the beginnings of a great collection right there. Perfect for peas, beans, barley, kasha, salt, rice as well as small salads, the liquid you drain from canned veggies and are saving for soup, bits of leftover pasta and countless other things. In a pinch you can cover them with paper and use as a flower vase, too.

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:51 am
I use rubbermaid containers, it's easy to find extra pieces in different sizes at pretty much any supermarket or Target or wherever. The plain red lids are for milchig, the snap-down ones are for fleishig. Because they stack so neatly, it helps keep both the cabinets and the fridge neater. I have big glass jars for flours, and a few other plastic ones that I use for chocolate chips and raisins and stuff. I want some new ones some day, for all the little bags of nuts and things like cornmeal that I keep around.

Are you thinking of Snapware? I have a friend who loves them.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 12:59 am
My eitzah is more shelves/racks/bins/drawers. I think mess happens from not having enough separate places for everything. If your shelves are far apart causing you to have slipping sliding piles and heaps, install more or get under-shelf hanging things or mini-shelves (I got the first from container store and the latter from Ikea) and instantly double your shelves' usefulness. Compartmentalize with boxes or baskets or bins of any type.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:25 am
We use snapware and are very happy with them. THey come in a variety of sizes and work well.

I disagree with Zaq - I am not a "neat and organized" person by nature, but having the containers have definitely helped minimize mess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics