Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Shabbos Afternoon with Babies

Emmett

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:06 pm
Hi all, I have three kids in diapers, prefer not to use the eiruv, and sometimes Shabbos afternoon, especially in the spring and summer, is just awful. Do you have tips to make it easier for me and the kids, who deserve better than a worn-out mother who is desperate to get out for a bit?

busydev

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:32 pm
make a deal with your husband. the afternoon is x hours long (lets say meal is over at 1 and mincha is at 5 so 4 hours) both of you get 2 hours on and 2 hours off. during your off you go visit neighbor/friends or even take the older kids that can walk.

b"h I live in an apt building filled with only jews so we dont have issues with shabbos afternoons- tho dh and I still do the splitting the afternoons for naps- my nap usually includes that baby's nap tho... so he can technically nap then too. Confused

Emmett

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:43 pm
Thanks! Right now my neighbor (not Jewish, but also has babies and is usually home Shabbos afternoon with them) will come over or I'll take the kids to her apartment, but the Shabbosim when she and her boyfriend take their babies on trips and I'm home alone with the kids all day are not fun. I'm going to talk to DH about sharing the afternoon so I can see people who live outside of my building and get fresh air.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:45 pm
DH and I split the afternoon when shabbos is long, so we can each get 2-3 hours to read/nap in peace. In the winter, however, we take turns by week. If he gets one shabbos afternoon off, then I get the next one off. Sometimes we switch it up when one of us is especially tired or not feeling well.

imaima

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 12:56 pm
The options are usually

1) put everyone to sleep after the meal and then enjoy relaxed time in the evening, or
2) don't put anyone to sleep except for the youngest and have them go to sleep early and enjoy your me-time.

If you do 2 split time between you and dh.

Emmett

Post Wed, Mar 06 2013, 1:01 pm
imaima wrote:
The options are usually

1) put everyone to sleep after the meal and then enjoy relaxed time in the evening, or
2) don't put anyone to sleep except for the youngest and have them go to sleep early and enjoy your me-time.

If you do 2 split time between you and dh.

My kids are awful nappers. They catnap only, even at night :-( It's completely exhausting. DH and I share childcare duties at night. Shabbos afternoon has always been just me and the babies, but I'm nearing the end of my rope and we need a new system. I'm going to talk to DH about sharing the afternoon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics