Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Palm Pilots, Video Games etc.
1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 4:09 pm
The following was printed in the 33rd issue of Horizons magazine. It's a letter that an 8th grade Rebbe sent to the parents of his talmidim.

<<I, as your son's Rebbe, spend a significant part of his school day observing and interacting with him. Please permit me to share with you an emerging problem that I have observed.

First, I ask you to consider the following suggestion: permit your son to bring a portable television to school. He would be permitted to view it only during breakfast, midmorning break, and lunchtime, but certainly not during classtime. Of course he wouldn't view anything inappropriate. It would provide an opportunity for harmless recreation during his "off" time, and would function as an ever-present safety valve to relieve any pressure the school day might produce. It's just the right solution for bad weather, when outdoor playing isn't feasible.

You are probably not comfortable with this suggestion. You realize the distraction of his pocket TV would make it difficult for him to concentrate in class. During his lessons he would be counting the minutes until his next opportunity to get back to his recreation. Throughout the class he would daydream about what he saw up until he had to open his Gemara or textbook and anticipate what he will see as soon as recess begins. His mind would be more involved with his TV than his studies.

Please take all the aforementioned and multiply it many times until you arrive at the degree of distraction your son's Palm Pilot pocket computer causes him. The fact that a Palm Pilot involves his personal interaction only compounds and intensifies the level and problem of distraction.

Whether it is the interactive games or the graphics and artwork he does on his Palm, you can predict with fair accuracy where his mind will be throughout the day. You can be sure that his excitement and avid enthusiasm at the opportunity to download and trade data with his classmate's Palm only whets his appetite for the upcoming break. Can you imagine his temptation throughout class time to just turn on his Palm and put it to its exciting uses?

You have heard of cyber addicts - the consequence of obsession with the computer and its abuse. One need not be glued to his computer desk to fall victim to this scourge. You're invited to see the damaging effect the pocket version has on your son's davening and concentration during class. Observe (as I have) the impatience he deals with until his "boring" tefillos or lessons end so that he can get back to his favorite pastime that he conveniently has sitting so temptingly and handily in his pocket.>>

he goes on to ask parents to control the use of the Palm and not allow it to be sent to school.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 2:41 pm
Things to think about re Kosher Videos and Computer Games:

1) many people can tell you about how kosher led to non-kosher ...

2) videos and computer games use up time that children used to use on reading, homework, and interacting with others

3) videos and computer games stimulate children in a way that reading and exercising do not, prolonging the time it takes them to fall asleep.

4) videos and computer games reduce impulse control by shortening the viewer's attention span. The more time someone spends watching videos, the more his attention span deteriorates, making it painful if not impossible to concentrate in class (hence medical diagnoses of ADD and medicating our kids)

5) videos and computer games impede imagination, depressing creativity test scores even after watching "educational" videos

6) the moving images act directly on the brain to suppress mental activity. Harvard U. researchers demonstrated that someone watching even the most exciting video slipped into brainwave patterns typical of someone asleep!

7)the odds of a child becoming obese rise 12-20% for each daily hour spent in front of a video display

8 ) videos are oftentimes used as an electronic babysitter, for little children sit transfixed in front of the screen

although helpful and not a problem once in a while, many mothers will admit to using it far more often than they would like

-------------------------------
what I do? I don't have videos at my house, but they're something that can be watched at Bubby's house (and Bubby accomodatingly buys Jewish videos we recommend)

this way, it's a treat that can be indulged in occasionally (we don't go to Bubby very regularly), but it doesn't become part of our life at home

amother

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 5:58 pm
And what's the difference between this and a book? I used to wait anxiously for the class to finish so I can go back to my book.

The problem is not the pilot, ANYTHING can act as a distraction. The problem lies elsewhere.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 7:50 pm
true, anything can be distracting, but the studies show that videos/computer games impact differently on us than books, and that impact is negative

some differences:

unless children are not doing their chores or homework or getting to bed, generally speaking, parents are happy when their children read; this is because there's a corollary between good students and good readers

books do not shorten the readers' attention span; on the contrary

good readers are generally not the ones diagnosed as ADD

reading increases imagination and creativity, doesn't decrease it, and reading increases mental activity

reading has not been implicated as a factor in obesity

I had two parents make similar points to me about TV/videos - and mind you, they were not talking from the "frum" aspect, but just the educational one:

one said she doesn't let her kids watch videos bec. how exciting will the Gemara on the page be to her son after he watches exciting images on the screen?

the other one (making sure to tell me that her reasons were not religious ones, as though there's something wrong with having religious reasons for doing something Rolling Eyes ) also gave educational reasons for not having the screen, saying that she wanted her children to read, not watch

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 12:25 pm
I just thought of another negative factor. That as kids before computers and computer games, I don't remember eagerly waiting for Shabbos to be over so that I could play with them. And I don't remember feeling bored on Shabbos because the only thing I liked doing was playing computer games.

We played board games and ball and red light green light etc. etc. weekdays and then on Shabbos too. And today's kids? Confused

shayna82

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 12:32 pm
motek, that was you then, when you were younger. Today there is so much bad that our kids can get into. a palm pilot with some games on it is not the worst thing I can think of, nor is some pbs educational games on the computer as a treat for good behavior. If we strip our kids of innocent activity, what are they gonna get themselves into next?

Yes, I agree - none of these kinds of entertainment should be permited at school, but when they are home as a treat, or after supper/homework, I have no problem with. surfing the net is one thing, a site with clean games- another.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 12:47 pm
shayna82 wrote:
a palm pilot with some games on it is not the worst thing I can think of, nor is some pbs educational games on the computer as a treat for good behavior.

True, it's not the worst, but that's not how I would pick an activity for children! Did you see the earlier post that lists numerous reasons why computer games are not recommended?

Quote:
If we strip our kids of innocent activity, what are they gonna get themselves into next?

Huh? You make it sound like without computer games they will have nothing to do! Are you serious????

shayna82

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 12:59 pm
I wasnt refering to only computer games.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 9:21 am
I have to admit that I am totally addicted to my Palm. I wait for Shabbos to be over so I can play.
Before I had the Palm, I had a Game Boy. (just as addicting)
Solitaire on computer is also very addicting.

I have Game boys for my kids but I only take them out on Chol Hamoed, or on a fast day when there is nothing else to do.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 4:04 pm
Don't your kids see you play and want to play too?

MOM222

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 4:44 pm
Motek wrote:
I just thought of another negative factor. That as kids before computers and computer games, I don't remember eagerly waiting for Shabbos to be over so that I could play with them. And I don't remember feeling bored on Shabbos because the only thing I liked doing was playing computer games.

We played board games and ball and red light green light etc. etc. weekdays and then on Shabbos too. And today's kids? Confused

I agree about everything but this.

My brothers - age 8 and above, play computer games all week. On shabbos you can't get them to go to mincha they are so busy playing. They play board games and build towers, cities. They never want to leave the playroom.

I was the same way.
The problem may be in the parents. It is easier to teach your children that computer games are fun then board games. My parents always played with us games on snowy days, chanukah... they taught us that its fun to play othello, chess, monopoly etc....

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 5:05 pm
Motek, I agree with your post, but not so much because of brain power and what we did when we were younger.
What kind of Chinuch are we imparting to our children when we buy them machines like palm pilots and Ipods? And then we let them take them to school? I live in Brooklyn and cannot tell you how many times I hear of kids getting mugged for their electronic devices. In fact, I was once on a subway and saw a guy grab a womans iPod as he exited the subway. Child safety aside, why are we spoiling them this way? I dont even own a palm pilot, why should a 12 year old?
I know its not just palm pilots, its gameboys, and before then it was Tamogochis (if anyone remembers that) etc. I understand these 'toys' for home use, but they do not belong in school. Parents should be more on top of that.

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 8:46 pm
I sincerely hope none of my children ever own a gameboy.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:42 pm
GR wrote:
I sincerely hope none of my children ever own a gameboy.

You'll either let them or you won't Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:45 pm
Imho well chosen video games can't hurt if used with moderation, so with parental supervision.

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:50 pm
Motek Very Happy , I was going to write "my kids are never going to have a gameboy!" and then it struck me that what if a well-meaning relative gives one as a present or something???
what would I do with it?
maybe save it for long driving trips. Confused

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:13 pm
GR wrote:
what if a well-meaning relative gives one as a present or something???
what would I do with it?
maybe save it for long driving trips. Confused

And what if that's the prize that the teacher or camp gives?

Well, what if a well-meaning relative gave your boys toy guns - would you let them play with it?

You can tell them, I so appreciate it but we don't allow our children to play with this.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:15 pm
GR, don't you ever get gifts with treif animals? What do you do then?

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:20 pm
of course I wouldnt let them play with toy guns. but after the fact, I just dont feel comfortable telling people that I dont like their gift. so either it goes in the garbage or the top shelf in the closet or the donation box, depending on what the gift is.

a prize is different, if its being given out by school or camp. thats not exactly a gift that a nice relative specifically shopped for and spent her own money on all for my child. I would have no problems whatsoever saying "No thanx," to a prize, or making a deal with my child that instead of a gameboy he gets something else he would really want.

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:21 pm
Quote:
what if a well-meaning relative gave your boys toy guns - would you let them play with it?

I would do exactly as you said, I would tell them my children are NOT allowed to play with these. I have seen kids playing with guns, knives, swords, pens that look like syringes filled with blood, etc. I am horrified. Who buys this stuff for their children? I once mentioned something to my SIL about swords, and she bashfully but defiantly told me her son has a sword. I was quiet after that, but I am very unimpressed that she bought it for him. My parents didnt allow water guns into my house.
My DD has no clue that the word "gun" exists, she calls it a "shooter" because of things she has heard around her, but doesnt know that word.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics