Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Palm Pilots, Video Games etc.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:22 pm
Crayon, im having this exact problem!
why do people who dont have treif animals in their own house Exclamation keep buying me gifts with trief animals on it!!!!????!!!!

(I know for a fact that they went shopping for it, theyre not just passing on to me gifts they received and dont want.)

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:23 pm
I can see allowing a sword for a Purim costume. Once a year or even one week a year is okay, I think.

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:25 pm
no way, not me!
ive seen what kids do with their Purim costume swords shock

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:27 pm
GR, I completely agree. My own DD has been terrorized by sword wielding little boys in the neighborhood while the parents laugh at their darling soldier boy.
Motek, do you really think a child will just hand over his sword to you so he can only use it once a year? And even if he does, why allow a tool of voilence into your home?

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:29 pm
yoyosma wrote:
Motek, do you really think a child will just hand over his sword to you so he can only use it once a year?

Uh, if the parent makes it clear that the sword is just for Purim and the child knows that when the parent says something, they mean it? Yes, of course!

Quote:
And even if he does, why allow a tool of voilence into your home?

Are you also opposed to bows and arrows on Lag B'Omer?

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:31 pm
I am sorry, but even if he understands its only for Purim, I would still not allow a sword. I am sorry but the USE of the sword doesnt change because its part of a costume.
As for bows and arrows, on Lag Baomer, that isnt something the kids around here generally play with. I know I didnt.
There are either bonfires or carnivals, not target practice.

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:32 pm
Bows and arrows are traditonally played with on Lag B'Omer. Are you saying you reject that tradition?

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:34 pm
Motek, did I say a WORD about rejecting tradition? I know just as well as you do that bows and arrows are part of Lag Baomer.
What I am saying is, in my neighborhood and growing up, kids arent running around with bows and arrows. They are either at carnivals, or bonfires. I am not going to take my DD out of school activities so I can teach her how to draw a bow. I think I am entitled to that choice.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 12:40 pm
yoyosma wrote:
why allow a tool of voilence into your home?

I agree little boys don't need that and violent toys and video games are not a good idea for children.
But teaching all tools of violence are always bad is not useful imho, because the Bible isn't all peaceful, and sometimes unfortunately even as a civilian you have to be able to defend yourself with the same weapons that you are attacked with - I wish more Jews had known how to do it during WW2, and so does my father who decided he would rather teach me how to shoot than c'v one day regretting he didn't.

Now, I agree that machine guns, crazy doc syringes and other horrors are bad ideas.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 12:43 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I wish more Jews had known how to do it during WW2,

You think that's why the Jews suffered during the war? shock

Quote:
and so does my father who decided he would rather teach me how to shoot than c'v one day regretting he didn't.

Did you know that it's assur for a woman to carry a weapon?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 1:41 pm
Quote:
You think that's why the Jews suffered during the war?

Only one of the reasons. Many Jews who knew how to fight managed to save their lives, at least for a moment. It's something I have noticed in my own family and my father told me many times.

Quote:
Did you know that it's assur for a woman to carry a weapon?

No. I don't even own one though, not legal in France unless you're officially trained. But honestly if one day I needed to defend myself, I wouldn't say "oy I can't" and leave it at that. I am proud of my female cousins who were Resistance heroines.

By the way, I think I remember hearing that Dolce of Worms defended herself and her daughters against thiefs disguised as crusaders with a sword?

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 2:03 pm
Women and weapons are a question for a rav.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 2:07 pm
if someone came to attack me cv in my kitchen or sometihng, I wuld hit them with a rolling pin. woudl I have to call my rav before knocking them out? Rolling Laughter

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 2:46 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Women and weapons are a question for a rav.

Ok, I'll make sure to ask before buying a gun if I ever plan to (I sure hope not). But I wonder what kind of rav will say it's not ok to defend yourself...

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:06 pm
ok I never heard of a woman not being allowed to own a gun. crayon can you explain it more, please.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:11 pm
LOL Shayna.

The halacha about a woman bearing arms is learned from "kli gever".

If someone is CHV in a dangerous situation (not the one Shayna described, but let's say lives in a bad neighborhood), a rav must be consulted about carrying a weapon.

Ruchel, it's not so simple as "I can't imagine a rav wouldn't allow a woman to defend herself."

This is one of many issues with women serving in the army.

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:17 pm
r u saying that a gun is a mans thing, meaning like in dress men cant wear womens things and vice versa?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:21 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

Ruchel, it's not so simple as "I can't imagine a rav wouldn't allow a woman to defend herself."

This is one of many issues with women serving in the army.

I can understand the army thing because traditionally it's a male thing, but I was talking about c'v a woman who is attacked and I just can't imagine a rav saying "even if you manage to take the gun from the aggressor who has a second one you can't use it to save your life".

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:23 pm
Yes.

spangled

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 5:35 pm
GR wrote:
Crayon, im having this exact problem!
why do people who dont have treif animals in their own house :!: keep buying me gifts with trief animals on it!!!!????!!!!

(I know for a fact that they went shopping for it, theyre not just passing on to me gifts they received and dont want.)

Sorry to interrupt this fabulous discussion about women dying because they're not allowed to use a gun, but can I just digress for a moment and ask: what's up with this? What do you mean by "gifts with treif animals on them"? You mean if you wont use a baby blanket with a cartoon of the Three Pigs? (Or am I totally not getting this?)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics