Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can I Put Water In A Vase Of Fake Flowers?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 3:03 am
I really hate to sound stupid, but I'm completely clueless here.

I bought an expensive bouquet of fake flowers yesterday. They look completely real. The lady in the store said I can certain put water in the vase to make sure it looks realistic but now that I did, I can't imagine this is okay. If it sits in water for days, weeks, months, wont it eat away at the stems?

Does anyone know? Can I put water in a fake vase? If not, what can I do? It definitely looks fake in a vase with no water!

Thanks!

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:15 am
I don't know what it's called, but they sell something that looks like water when it hardens.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:18 am
You should probably change the water every once in a while so it doesn't start getting scummy. Why would water eat away at the stems? If they are plastic, I din't see why that would be an issue. Are they silk?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:44 am
Thank you so much for your replies.

I apologize for being Anon, I had just asked a few people in real life and facebook so I didn't want it under my own screen name.

The fake stuff that hardens is acrylic I believe, but then isn't it difficult to remove the flowers down the line?

Dr. Mom, thank you for the reply, I do plan on changing the water, the stems appear to be plastic with a hard wiring inside. I just thought that anything soaking in water for long enough will start to corrode, no?

rowo

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:50 am
If you don't want to use water, you could maybe try pretty marbles or shells

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:56 am
Maybe you can paint a blob of clear nail polish on any exposed parts of the wire so it won't rust?

I think if you pour acrylic into a vase and let it harden, it will be permament. You won't be able to remove it or rearrange the flowers or clean it very easily.

I like the idea of clear colorless glass marbles.

Liba

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 4:58 am
I would either put in clear marbles or use a darker/colored vase.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 8:19 am
Don't put wire-stemmed flowers in water. The wire will rust. Self-hardening acrylic will result in a permanent arrangement and make it impossible to reuse both the flowers and the vase--which is fine if that's your intent and you're not afraid of commitment.

Forgive me, but why in the world would you bother? The flowers are fake, so what? You want the look of real, buy real.

Glass marbles or gravel sold for fish tanks enhance the overall look by hiding and anchoring the stems, not by making it look as if there's water in the vase.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 12:05 pm
whilst I would never buy fake flowers; iSdo believe they are for convenience. So why, pray tell, would you ever dream of watering them?!?!

[p.s. they'll get ruined - I should think]

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 12:08 pm
I would only put them in water for specific things that you want them to look real for. (for shabbos or here and there but I wouldnt leave them in water.

they have these glass balls that I dont know exactly how they work- but they kind of disappear and look like water. see if you can find those?

did some googling seems like they disappear when you add water. I would just go with glass marbles and a colored/tinted vase.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 12:42 pm
No matter how real they look if they dont smell real then its obvious they are fake.
I would put in clear marbles or put the flowers in a fancy opaque vase.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 18 2016, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 1:01 pm
OP here. To explain-

I've never bought fake flowers before.

The problem is, my young son decided to start buying flowers for me. Every week. He saves up all his pennies and buys me the biggest bouquet he can afford. Every week I tell he's so sweet but he should rather save his money, I really don't need or want flowers (which I don't) and ever week he keeps at it.

So I bought fake flowers. Now I told him, "See? Mommy got flowers so you don't have to spend your money any more." (Yes, I know it's something he enjoys doing for me and we had a long discussion about what would make Mommy happy and proud of him that's absolutely free, and he was very happy with that.)

The thing is, once I spent a crazy fortune for things that look so real, they look ridiculous in an empty vase, especially where they are positioned in my home, right straight ahead when you walk through the front door. You can't tell that they're fake from such a distance. They look absolutely real from that far. But it's very obvious, even from that distance, that they are sitting in an empty vase which looks ridiculous.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 1:18 pm
sonny boy sounds adorably charming Flower King

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 2:26 pm
get a porcelain vase
maybe something like this http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....sults

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 18 2016, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Merrymom

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 2:32 pm
There's a product that you can find in craft stores, I think it's called Everlasting Elegance that is a gel that appears just like water, with the bubbles and all. It's very realistic looking.

healthywoman

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 2:53 pm
lol I read your post and was waiting for someone to jump in and say "are you allowed to halachically do that"? or "isnt that maras ayin or gineyvas daas"? lol guess I still have time

penguin

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 3:07 pm
I would think that the water would get moldy, unless you put in a drop of bleach, which, of course, might not be good for the flowers.

I vote for a vase that's not see-through (though I have one on my table right now, and I may get some marbles, except that I am afraid that the kids will decide to play mancala with them. But you can get them in the dollar stores in several colors!)

wereafamily

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 3:34 pm
Sure! Sure! It makes it look "real" you can also mix some real and fake flowers.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 9:09 pm
Acrylic Water

OutATowner

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 10:08 pm
AC Moore/Michaels has fake water- you shake it (or was it heat it?), pour it, and it becomes a gel that looks like water. It's great. I've had fake stems in there for about 2 years now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics