Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tearing books

Yael

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 4:23 pm
Why do kids do strange things that they know they will lose out from?

My son tore out every single page from 4 of his favorite books this morning. I cant imagine why in the world he'd do that. I explained to him that now the books are broken and we have to put them in the garbage and he cant have them anymore, and he understood and I know he felt bad about it. of course being the optimist that he is, he insisted that I would be able to fix it and if not me then maybe aba or someone else. but I told him no its not possible.
my dillema is the following: I didnt throw out the pages even though I told him I did. b/c I cant bear to do it. I know that it is fixable if I feel like spending 3 hrs taping it back together, should I do it? or should I let him learn from his mistake and now he wont have those books anymore. I feel bad though b/c he really loves those books. besides I like them too. I didnt spend money on 3 of them and the 4th was only $5 so money is not an issue here.

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 4:55 pm
If you really feel bad then tape them, but put them away. In a long while when he forgets about them you can bring them out.

yehudis

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 5:10 pm
Yael wrote:
Why do kids do strange things that they know they will lose out from?

That's what I always want to know. They just love destroying, no matter what it is. Why???

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 5:22 pm
For attention. Because they are bored. Curiosity, to see what happens what it feels like to do an action.

Mod2

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 5:23 pm
Yael I bet you were no better at his age 8)
Anyway Sunshines idea doea sound good!

stem

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 5:52 pm
Kids are just curious and exploring. I would keep all books out of his reach till he's old enough to know not to tear them.

supermom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 5:17 am
that is what I did with my kids took them all away till now and now thank goodness they don't tear them up anymore. I think it is more their age. but do try to fix them up and put them away and when they pass the age of tearing them up bring them back out to them.

raizy

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 8:56 pm
my son did that also 3 yrs ago to his fav book. I spent over one hr taping it and believe me he never did that again. he saw what happened to a torn book. and never wanted to try it again I guess he was just trying to experiment on your expense.

also I learned to hide the books that I don't want destroyed. I take it out only when I can watch them . the other books I don't care and they can do whatever they want with them
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics