Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Can you recommend a minivan or car?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 17 2013, 6:56 pm
DH and I are looking to purchase a new car - one that would preferably hold more than 3 kids in the bacl (I.e. minivan) Ideally we're looking for a vehicle that has two back rows but are NOT minivans (like a Toyota Highlander, I think)? Any ideas or recommendations?

oodlesofnoodles

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:47 pm
Chevrolet Traverse or GMC Acadia

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:49 pm
If you want something really big, how about a Suburban?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 2:18 pm
Can I ask you why not a minivan? Is it for looks? You need AWD? (Some minivans have this option.)

My experience is that most people who end up getting larger SUVs with a few children prefer minivans because it's just so much more practical.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 2:34 pm
We're very happy with our Honda Odyssey.

When we needed to upgrade from a car to a larger vehicle, we were not so excited about getting a minivan. We checked out a lot of SUV's, but they're not as good as a minivan if you have younger kids. Minivans just work better with car seats and boosters and trying to buckle multiple kids in quickly when you are doing carpool. An SUV may be a better fit for a family with older children.

bbmom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 3:49 pm
I drive a Honda Pilot and I'm very happy with it however if I did not absolutely need to have 4WD I would drive a Honda Odyssey (2011 or newer) in a heartbeat.

Other good options in the crossover SUV category are- Toyota Highlander, GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse (same car), Acura MDX and Ford Explorer.

All of those cars fit 7 and have captain seats in the middle row (easy access to third row). The Pilot seats 8 and has two bench seats so to get to the back a seat has to mover forward or get folded down.

If you have the back row up crossover SUV's offer very little cargo space. I can fit triple the amount of stuff in the trunk of DH's Camry.

nycgal

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:36 pm
Mazda cx9

busydev

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 5:50 pm
nycgal wrote:
Mazda cx9

my parents have that and the back seat and storage area are tiny. (back seat officially seats three but it gets squishy with just 2 children under 10)

OP- what are you looking for in a car other then seats? I would recommend either a minivan or a large SUV. Minivans are easier if you are dealing with car seats, getting in to help kids buckle etc. (dont have to lift a 20+ lb car seat up to the seat.)

SUVS are fine if you are not dealing with such little kids. However unless you get a huge one like a suburban (2 full back rows and lots of storage space) you wont have much storage space and the 3rd row space will depend on the model. They can be very squishy. Additionally the bigger the SUV the less miles it gets per a gallon. That is not to say that minivans get great mileage either, but bigger SUVs are way worse.

mfb

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 6:44 pm
bbmom wrote:
I drive a Honda Pilot and I'm very happy with it however if I did not absolutely need to have 4WD I would drive a Honda Odyssey (2011 or newer) in a heartbeat.

Other good options in the crossover SUV category are- Toyota Highlander, GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse (same car), Acura MDX and Ford Explorer.

All of those cars fit 7 and have captain seats in the middle row (easy access to third row). The Pilot seats 8 and has two bench seats so to get to the back a seat has to mover forward or get folded down.

If you have the back row up crossover SUV's offer very little cargo space. I can fit triple the amount of stuff in the trunk of DH's Camry.

The Honda pilot does not have comfortable leg space in the third row for adults

cs1

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 8:42 pm
The honda oddesey is $279 a month now at most leasing places

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 8:49 pm
bbmom wrote:

The Acadia and Traverse are the same car? How is that possible? Is the Acadia discontinued and replaced with the Traverse?

The Traverse is so big that there is decent cargo space even with the back row up. The Highlander has zero cargo space when the back seat is up.

wifey

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 8:53 pm
If its in the budget I know a few people that recently got th new infiniti jx

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 9:06 pm
wifey wrote:
If its in the budget I know a few people that recently got th new infiniti jx

Is that more like a minivan or an SUV?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:14 pm
OP here - thanks everyone! We just like the look of an SUV (my hub is a huge Jeep lover) We do have 2 little ones, though and I wanted a bigger car for car pool. Why is a minivan easier with boosters and car seats versus an SUV type vehicle?

MommytoB

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:37 pm
I have a Toyota sienna and always thought I would hate minivans. I love it.

Pros:

more storage space then almost any full size SUV. Just compared to the Toyota sequoia and land cruiser, both of which are wider/longer but have less storage space. I never have an issue with packing for trips or grocery runs. Crossover SUVs like the highlander have almost no storage space with third row up.

Doors - With little ones I cannot over emphasize how amazing the sliding door is. Really. I don't need to worry about banging into other parked cars to get babies and kids in and out. Older kids can climb in themselves

Captains chairs - my model has an aisle in the second row to walk back to third row. No need to fold down chairs

Third row - pretty full size esp compared to highlander which I used to have. I can fit two boosters and a car seat in the third row (I do have to slide one of the boosters side to side somewhat to access buckles). Make sure to bring carset/boosters to see if they fit before getting new car.

Easy to drive and easy to park. I've been accused of driving it like a sports car. It's built on a car platform which gives it a very smoother drive. It's smaller than a lot of full size SUVs so parking is no problem.

AWD option.

Cons:
It's a minivan
The run flat tires. While I can drive on them it's a flat - and have done so, they stink in snow/ice. Easily reminded by having a set of snow tires for winter.

Just drove a Toyota sequoia and I did like it. I liked being high up in a full SUV and it felt nice and spacious. But its bigger (harder to park) with less storage space and the doors don't slide open. I'm not sure that I can switch away from the minivan yet!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:37 pm
Cs1, where did you find an Odessy for $279 a month? We're looking into one now and I keep coming up at around $600. I'm really curious because that could make a huge difference for us.

mommy of boys

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 11:18 pm
Are you looking to buy it new? cuz if not then we have one to sell.
Its a 2011 black Toyota sienna LE , power doors, backup camera, bluetooth, 8 seater and GORGEOUS!

pm me for more details if ur interested.
ps I'm in NY

bbmom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 11:29 pm
Maya wrote:
bbmom wrote:

The Acadia and Traverse are the same car? How is that possible? Is the Acadia discontinued and replaced with the Traverse?

The Traverse is so big that there is decent cargo space even with the back row up. The Highlander has zero cargo space when the back seat is up.

GMC, Chevrolet and Buick are all GM brands. Generally GM produces the mechanics for one type of car and then creates various differences, especially in looks and features and markets the car as different cars from different companies. So mechanically the GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave are basically the same car. Aesthetically there are differences.

OP- the Acadia is probably the roomiest crossover SUV out there and does come with a middle row bench seat option that would give you 8 seats if you wanted that.

bbmom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 11:33 pm
mommyfrombrooklyn wrote:
bbmom wrote:

The Honda pilot does not have comfortable leg space in the third row for adults

Actually I've sat in the back seat of my Pilot and I was very comfortable. Either way OP is probably not planning on putting adults back there on a regular basis.

busydev

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
OP here - thanks everyone! We just like the look of an SUV (my hub is a huge Jeep lover) We do have 2 little ones, though and I wanted a bigger car for car pool. Why is a minivan easier with boosters and car seats versus an SUV type vehicle?

well first SUV's are higher up so instead of having to lift an infant seat only a bit to get it into the base you have to LIFT the infant seat UP. Its also easier to buckle kids into boosters and car seats when you are able to stand/lean over them from the sidewalk or from inside the car instead of having to sit down in the seat next to them like you would with a SUV (less head room I think)

the smaller SUVS also have no storage room- even for a stroller sometimes. or you can fit a stroller and thats it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics