Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
"Upgrade" on your wedding ring?
Previous  1  2

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:57 am
I did upgrade my engagement ring for our 25th anniversary. The new marquis-shaped stone and new setting are still very much in line with what people in my community wear (pebbles, not rocks). After a few years the original diamond found a new home as the center of wonderful DDIL's engagement ring.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 11:33 am
After reading a few of these posts, I just have to say I'm picturing some orange bands with a green leafy center.

Shuly

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:01 pm
I know someone who upgraded her engagement ring. She got a new setting with a large center stone and 2 smaller stones on either side. One of the side stones is her original diamond.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:12 pm
This is so much a first world problem. I've heard of people changing the setting but keeping stone, but not buying a new stone. Me, I'm sentimental, so I'd want to keep the stone. Maybe do Shuly's idea.

shoshana11

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 1:57 pm
My DH got me a beautiful stone in a very simple setting and over the years I have asked him to change the setting and we have. I am very happy with my ring now, I personally wouldn't change the stone he originally gave you unless you are not happy with it, of course. on the other hand, if he's initiating it, I think it's a nice and romantic act on his side and so go for it, enjoy yourself. Don't worry about what's too big or too small, just pick something that you both like and feel happy wearing and you can afford.

bbmom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 3:02 pm
My diamond ring actually isn't that sentimental to me. In Lubavitch we receive the diamond ring after the chuppah in the yichud room (so it doesnt symbolize my engagement) and my ring was picked out by my MIL without mine or DH's opinion or involvement at all. If DH offered to replace it for me I would do it in a heartbeat and the new ring would be much more sentimental to me. I

nyer1

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 3:07 pm
my in laws bought me a beautiful ring when we got married... the stone is gorgeous... but the setting is a very simple solitaire. my mother gave me my grandmother's eternity band... which is gorgeous... so one day I hope to put the engagement stone in a nicer setting to match my wedding band that I wear with it

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:09 pm
We would never change our rings to match our friends' rings. Why does your jewelry need to match theirs?? We picked out our rings together and they have sentimental value to us.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
After reading a few of these posts, I just have to say I'm picturing some orange bands with a green leafy center.

Yes.
PSA: It's spelled carat, NOT carrot! Smile

mommyhood

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:32 pm
My in laws bought my diamond without dh's or my involvement and I picked out the setting and when it was ready dh gave it to me in a parking lot. So while I love my ring it doesn't have that much sentimental value so I would have no problem changing it (assuming dh was ok with it).
The gifts that dh picked out and bought for me after marriage have much more value to me even though they are no where the price of a diamond.
I don't necessarily agree with the need to keep up with the Jones's aspect of OP's question as it's a slippery slope but I do think it's fine to change your ring.

cm

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 4:44 pm
yingsthings wrote:
It's a very US-centric thing but I have to ask as it's come up several times with DH (he works for a large company with non-drums); would you consider or even ask for an "upgrade" on your wedding rings?

When we got married he bought me a very lovely set (1.25 carat diamond and a platinum band).

Now that he's doing better at work he wants to buy me something "bigger" in-line with what the rest of our friends are wearing.

Would you be comfortable with this?

I would not be comfortable, but if that is what "everyone" is doing, perhaps I would feel differently.

As far as the sentimental value, that is a very personal thing. I wear a plain wedding ring, the same one I was married with. Some people make a big deal out of proposing with a diamond; we didn't. You can't go by other people.

1.25 carat is not small. Three carat is huge. If I saw a diamond that large, I might (if I noticed) assume it to be fake. Once again, if "everyone" in my community wore huge - and real - gems, I might feel otherwise.

If it's helpful for your husband's business, and he really wants you to have something pretty, and you don't mind wearing it - why not?

By the way - what's a "non-drum?"

nechami1

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 7:28 pm
I have never been happy with my wedding and engagement ring- as because they are gold dipped to white gold they constantly need redipping and look cheap. I got a smallish engagement ring which I did choose at the time (although not the size of the diamond).
Last year I lost my wedding ring..... but yes, My dh says one day he will replace them both - with something I truly like and a better quality.
If you can replace them- why not?
Unless you are too sentimental of course..

wifey

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 9:19 pm
I would do it! Find a way to keep your old ring sentimental, but its very sweet your DH wants to! And as long as you wont be the only person with 3ct. you'll be fine. Some cuts look bigger than others (e.g. emerald looks smaller than round even if they are the same ct size).

CPenzias

Post Mon, Mar 18 2013, 10:03 pm
1.25 is small?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics