Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus Question

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:24 pm
How long do I wait before milchigs if I just ate a pareve lunch in a fleish pot (fleish cooked in it over the last 24 hours)?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:32 pm
I'm not going to tell you what to do - but if you didn't eat fleish how exactly did you become fleishig

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:35 pm
That's what I need to know. Am I fleish if I ate food cooked in a fleish pot, where chicken was cooked last night? Rav is not available.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:42 pm
I beleive that if nothing was cooked for past 24 hours then your not, but you cooked the chicken last night which means you might be, if you did not cook the chicken last night and the meat pot was not used for meat cooking for 24 hours then your not.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:44 pm
I think you're right, but isn't it a different waiting period?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:47 pm
I'm not sure.....if the pot was clean..........
try 845-HALACHA

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:48 pm
I think it has to be 6 hours because I think it would be considered as tho you ate meat.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 2:56 pm
Please, ask a rav to make sure. However, as I understand the halachos:
-If food was NOT cooked in the pot in the last 24 hours, then the food is considered perfectly parve and bedieved could even be eaten with milchigs (not recommended, but in case of need).
-if the pot was used in last 24 hours, the food is parve but cannot be eaten with milchigs.
Both cases assume that the pot is clean.
Let us know what the rav said.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 3:00 pm
from the book " the kosher kitchen"

parve foods which are cooked in meat ben yomo pots, without meat, may not be eaten together with dairy products(ashkenazic), however, it is permitted to eat dairy foods immediatley afterwords.

ben yomo- a pot or other utensil which has been cooked with within the last 24 hours.

if it was 24 hours later since you cooked the chicken then your not meat, you can eat dairy products. if it is less then 24 hours then you might be meat.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 3:00 pm
I think it's hard enough to wait 6 hrs when we are fleishig let alone if we just ate something parve...if you wanna be fleishig forever heck I'll just eat your ice cream

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 3:23 pm
okay now I have a question - my kids were eating "beef pot pie" and suddenly started talking about brains (good way to kill my appetite) are brains kosher?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 3:50 pm
we put something called brains in the cholent, when we make it.

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 5:46 pm
Brains from the cow are kosher, sure. Also the livers…
It’s supposedly a delicatessen, sautéed in small pieces with peas and red pepper and onions, served over rice.

In Yiddish, it’s called ‘GRA-sha-tza’

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 2:28 pm
OP, did you end up getting through to a rov? got an answer? we'd love to hear if so. or did you just wait 6 hrs just in case?

Hannah!

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 3:13 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 3:24 pm
Sweetbread is the name of a dish made of the pancreas (belly/stomach/heart sweetbread) or thymus gland (neck/throat/gullet sweetbread) of an animal younger than one year old
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen