Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Milchig/ parev dinners
Previous  1  2

hisorerus

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 6:08 pm
Tofu can be made into a great stir-fry, either crumbled or diced. You can also bread it and bake it.

RedVines

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 1:00 am
I am not sure where you can find kosher refried beans, I found them once here at the health food store, kind of like whole foods.

The way I make Burritos: cheese,rice,avocado,salsa
help at all?

I cut up tofu, mix in a bag of frozen mixed veges, saute and serve over rice....If you close your eyes you might think its chicken.

Sunshine

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 6:48 pm
RG I asked my sister and she said her small oven is also a Magic Mill.

gryp

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 9:31 pm
thanx, Sunshine.

lucy

Post Wed, May 11 2005, 11:15 pm
RG: I have a toastmaster mini convection oven. Can fit a 9x13 pan. I bake in it (muffins & Cheesecake came out amazing) and I'll make a lasagna so there is a meal your not straving after eating. Got it in Eagle too, but that was a few yrs back

gryp

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 11:12 am
thanx Lucy. im almost ready to buy a new milchig oven now.. Smile

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 12:06 pm
I have a really really big magic mill for milchigs but don't use it cause my son is hoghly allergic to dairy.

But I got a toastmaster convection oven for pesach and was very happy with it. BTW I loved having an oven for pesach which the year before I didn't have. I got my toastmaster oven online for 100 including shipping.

for pareve recipes I know I got a friend a cook book that was called perfectly pareve it seemed to be a good book for pareve recipes that didn't use fish. I have been wanting to do more with tofu in my house since I found out my son isn't allergic to soy. I think I read somewhere that I can make puddings with it and shakes.

hindyandrafi

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 2:23 pm
How about vegetarian tacos.. use soy meat/crumbles, add taco sauce, lettuce,tomatoes and cheese sour cream.. yummy

sarahd

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 3:07 pm
Sunshine wrote:
What do you make with tofu? How do you make creamed mushrooms over toast? Why is it quicker to make the eggplant lasagne rather then eggplant parmesan? Sounds the same except you fry instead of bake and that saves washing some dishes. How high of a flame or electric(which I have) do you cook it on and arround how long does it take to melt the cheese and cook the food?

AAAHHHHH!!! I answered this post in detail and then someone shut my computer off right before I clicked "submit"!!!!!!!!! Mad Mad Mad Exploding anger Exploding anger

I will beli neder post the answers to your questions when I recover my equanimity somewhat.

IM-MA

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 1:02 pm
1 block tofu
spinach
green and red peppers
1 carrot
1 tomato
1 onion
1 Tablespoon oil
spices (Mrs. Dash), to taste

Cut up and combine tofu and vegetables. Add oil and spices.
Bake in greased pan at 375 for 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.

sarahd

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 4:22 pm
Okay, I am now calm and collected and will try to reconstruct my previous post.

Sunshine wrote:
What do you make with tofu?

Tofu burgers: crumble the tofu and mix with ground oatmeal (2 c. oatmeal to 1 lb. tofu), ketchup, soy sauce, s&p, mustard and a minced onion. Or else I cube the tofu, marinate in soy sauce, fry until crisp and golden and sprinkle with s%p (makes a great snack at this point). Then I quickly saute minced lemongrass and garlic with hot pepper flakes, add sliced onion and mushrooms and diced red pepper, saute till softened, add soy sauce and sugar (and lemon juice if I didn't have lemongrass on hand to use) then add the tofu and heat through.

Quote:
How do you make creamed mushrooms over toast?

Saute lots of onions till clear and soft, but not browned. Add canned mushrooms and cook. Dissolve flour in cold milk and add to mushrooms, add more milk and cook till thickened. Pour over toast squares or triangles. Being lazy, I often sprinkle flour right on the mushrooms and then add milk, but you sometimes get lumps that way. Don't forget s&p, btw.

Quote:
Why is it quicker to make the eggplant lasagne rather then eggplant parmesan? Sounds the same except you fry instead of bake and that saves washing some dishes.

Right, besides you save not having to remove the eggplant and put it in a pan, and also till the cheese melts and the sauce bubbles takes not more than five minutes.

Quote:

How high of a flame or electric(which I have) do you cook it on

I usually try a low heat but when I fry the eggplant I use medium and since I also use electric, by the time the stove is down to low, the stuff is already cooked.

elisecohen

Post Mon, May 16 2005, 4:33 pm
I just bought "The Lowfat Jewish Vegetarian Cookbook," by Debra Wasserman. It is terrific and I can't wait to use all the recipes! All are vegan, and all seem to be pretty much regular ingredients--I hate cookbooks that are full of recipes of things no one in my family would eat, or things that you can't buy kosher, or that you just can't find! Lots of things seem to revolve around chickpeas, rice, spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, and various beans. As a bonus, I just picked up my CSA's first box of the season and it is full of onions, garlic, spinach, mushrooms, and radishes--all things I needed to try some of these recipes! I hope dh and kids get as excited as I am.

daisy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 9:38 am
My kids (husband and I) love this easy tofu recipe:

Squeeze moisture from tofu and cut up in cubes
Saute tofu cubes in oil until golden(we prefer Eden toasted sesame oil plus a little hot pepper toasted sesame oil that you can get in a health food store, but it's not necessary)
Beat 4 eggs in a bowl and add some soy sauce (sorry I don't measure amount)
Add egg mixture to tofu in frying pan and cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are fully scrambled
Serve with rice (we prefer brown) and additional soy sauce

lifeisgood

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 10:14 pm
Quote:
I can't find refried beans in any of the supper markets do you know any kosher brands?

hey sunshine, I know its not as QUICK.. but you could make your OWN refried beans.. its really not that hard I do it all the time...
here's the basic recipe but its not an exact science so work with whatever is convenient.
basically you use pinto beans (those are the spotted ones) however many you want. if I remember I think we use 1 cup and ts just enough for the two of us. But maybe we eat more at a time..??)
anyway, rinse them.. soak them overnight or at least for an hour (longer soaking= quicker cooking)
put them in a pot .. add water and an onion and piece or so of garlic and salt, bring to a boil and let simmer for an hour (or more depending on how long u soaked it for) until soft when pressed. thenu can mash it with afork or blend it (smoother and easier!)
and ur ready to eat! if u have leftovers u can give it new life by putting it in a pan witha drop of oil and REFRY it next time.
I know this is long but it really is easy.

while im at it.. how to make ur own chips (like nacho chips)
slice corn tortillas into triangles and fry them on both sides till light brown and crispy. sprinkle cheese, eat with ur beans.. salsa, whatever u want... Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals