Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Very sad abt pesach clothes shopping
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:40 pm
I usually try to find something new to buy for Pesach. I went to a couple of frum stores and could not find anything tznius for me. I dress very tzniusly with my skirts well below my knee. Every skirt was either a bright color, tight, short, or a style I would not wear. I am so sad and frustrated that I didn't find anything. I wish Jewish stores could stock tznius clothing - it is an unfortunate reflection on everyone who dresses untzniusly since the stores carry what sells and what everyone wears. If I can't shop in Jewish stores for tznius clothing, it is pretty bad - I have nowhere else to shop.
For those who are extra careful with tznius, where do you buy your clothes?????????????

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:42 pm
I usually buy jewelry for Pesach and start well in advance. Once I found something on chol hamoed Succos and saved it for 6 mos

MimiMommy

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:42 pm
Macy's, eBay, Burlington. And tops can be layered with shells. I agree about the frum stores.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:43 pm
I buy my clothes from non-jewish stores.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:44 pm
I went to burlington, and I did very well.

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:54 pm
The internet is your friend.

OOTforlife

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:56 pm
sequoia wrote:
The internet is your friend.
This. +10000000. Coldwater Creek has a lot of midi skirts. I think someone posted Woolrich earier.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:57 pm
100% agreed about the level of Tznius in the Frum stores! What geographgic area are you in? I would go to places if you can where Chassidim tend to shop... they usually have things that are okay, but they may be pricey! Hatzlacha! Just know that you are getting lots of Schar for your efforts to dress B'Tznius!

Last edited by out-of-towner on Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

cm

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 9:57 pm
It is next to impossible to buy clothing. Some catalogs and websites geared towards "older" women have more conservative styles. If you go with the shell-underneath look, any department store will have plenty of tops. Below-knee skirts are rare, unless you are unusually short. I haven't bought new clothes for YT this year, but in recent years I have been able to get dressy suits on clearance from department stores. Not the latest fashion, but a classic look.

rachelli613

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:10 pm
totally with you on that one. jewish stores should carry tznius clothes right? skirts that actually cover the knee.

ok, dont get me started Smile

you can find on jjill.com, coldwatercreek.com, garnethill.com, talbots sometimes, there are talbots outlets. you can do the seamstress thing, buy shorter skirts, and add a panet to lengthen from top. or a long skirt and shorten.

hannahandersson had a nice skirt in the winter in black and blue, kinda bright, kinda thin, but not that super clingy material, that covers knees well. jcpenney.

I heard bontons has tznius stuff, but I was never there.

then there is vintage stuff on etsy, rustyzipper, ebay.

marshalls, tjmaxx, century 21 if your in the tristate area, loehmanns...consignment, second hand shops...

make a clothing swap with neighbors...

also sometimes an outfit can be super simple, but if you accesorize well, scarf, jewelry...or if what youre wearing is the right color that compliment your skin tone, hair, eye color, it can look amazingly good.

it takes creativity, patience, but well worth it.
(its super frustrating and ironic not to find tznius clothes in tznius clothing stores...)

you're protecting your families brachos by being careful about hilchos tznius.

yashar kochachech? (is that the fem. version of yasher koach?)

rachelli613

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:14 pm
and I dont think following halacha is called being extra careful with tznius.

extra careful would be like only wearing long sleeves and not three quarter. ummm, something EXTRA.

graphixmom

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:19 pm
OMG do I totally agree with you!!!!!! I went maternity shopping to Frum Maternity stores and had a VERY VERY hard time finding 'maternity' tops! everything was TIGHT! and mind you, I'm not the largest person out there and I'm hardly showing yet but plan to put maternity on for pesach and could not find anything that wasnt tight! I was really disappointed!!! I told my husband, all these speakers are busy saying pregnant ladies have to be careful with how tight their tops are etc, they should speak to the stores first!!

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:29 pm
rachelli613 wrote:
and I dont think following halacha is called being extra careful with tznius.

extra careful would be like only wearing long sleeves and not three quarter. ummm, something EXTRA.

Glad there are other people who feel the same way as me! I just can't muster up the courage to say so outright for fear of arrows being thrown at me Very Happy

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:32 pm
Also, the sky won't fall if you buy a long skirt. MO girls and women wear them and look very modest and wholesome. Your skirts don't HAVE to be mid-length.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 10:45 pm
sequoia wrote:
Also, the sky won't fall if you buy a long skirt. MO girls and women wear them and look very modest and wholesome. Your skirts don't HAVE to be mid-length.

Of course, no one besides MO girls and women wear them, unless Sequoia will succeed in her plot to subvert the rest of us Wink

amother

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 9:08 am
Im not sure where you live but if you are in NY, I was recently in Junee on 18th ave where they have a huge . selection of skirts that are well below the knee. Or at least on me and im 5'7". All of the skirts that are JUNEE brand at least. Even if you don't like the newest fashions like lets say colored skirts they have all of the basics in black, white, ivory, grey...They do carry a few other skirts of other brands/designers that might be too short depending on your height. They even have a section with some of the same skirts in extra long length of 27" though Im not sure what the length of the basic ones were. Anyway im not talking about the tznius level of the tops bc you have the same issue there with layering using shells or cardigans but they are very pretty and stylish if that's your thing.

Lilkingdom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 10:26 am
graphixmom wrote:
OMG do I totally agree with you!!!!!! I went maternity shopping to Frum Maternity stores and had a VERY VERY hard time finding 'maternity' tops! everything was TIGHT! and mind you, I'm not the largest person out there and I'm hardly showing yet but plan to put maternity on for pesach and could not find anything that wasnt tight! I was really disappointed!!! I told my husband, all these speakers are busy saying pregnant ladies have to be careful with how tight their tops are etc, they should speak to the stores first!!

Tight? This season??? Everything now is very full and vintage. We will all look pregnant until theres a fitted top to be found!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Im not sure where you live but if you are in NY, I was recently in Junee on 18th ave where they have a huge . selection of skirts that are well below the knee. Or at least on me and im 5'7". All of the skirts that are JUNEE brand at least. Even if you don't like the newest fashions like lets say colored skirts they have all of the basics in black, white, ivory, grey...They do carry a few other skirts of other brands/designers that might be too short depending on your height. They even have a section with some of the same skirts in extra long length of 27" though Im not sure what the length of the basic ones were. Anyway im not talking about the tznius level of the tops bc you have the same issue there with layering using shells or cardigans but they are very pretty and stylish if that's your thing.

Junee produced or found a special line. I was in their store and they had a whole display of JUST midcalf skirts.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 12:46 pm
You might look at Chadwick's website. They give all the dimensions in inches.

You might search "riding skirt".

When you find a good one, get about four of the same. It might not be available at a later date, so move fast to stock up.

Washable is good and washable microfiber is very good.

Of course an ankle length skirt can be shortened, if you want that.

tzfatisha

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:36 pm
the british store ... marks and spencers have great clothes...not all are tznuit of course.. but they have plenty of choice...
u can look at their website and buy online.. they even have little video clips so u can see someone walking in the clothes so u can make a proper choice.
they also offer a lot of clothes in different lengths....
it's a well known store and is considered a bit 'old fashioned' by some people.. the prices aren't so cheap..but the quality is generally v good..
I got a couple of great skirts last time I was in england... and I could've bought a lot more if I'dv had the money... they also have great knits, dresses, kids stuff, stuff for guys etc..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics