Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use sabbath mode oven on shabbos?

granolamom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 5:15 am
does anyone use the sabbath mode on shabbos?

I will check with my LOR regarding the halacha and my specific oven, but I'm wondering if I can, from a practical standpoint, leave my cholent in the oven and if so, at what temp?

scrltfr

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 5:19 am
I do. I first put it on the stove do its already cooked and keep it in the oven at 200.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 6:28 am
I have an oven with shabbat mode but to be honest I prefer to use the good ol' plata more because I'm accustomed to and I can set it on a timer. For cholent I usually use a clockpot.

For shabbat oven, I usually leave at 90C. No problem leaving cholent, but make sure you cover them tight with double foil so liquid doesn't evaporate too much. Also you need to precook beans at boiling temperature for something like 30min-1hr before placing them in a shabbat mode oven.

granolamom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 8:54 am
thanks so much.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 9:19 am
There are various halachic opinions regarding this.

If you put food into the oven before Shabbos, you are absolutely allowed to leave it until you are ready to take it out. (at least according to everyone I know)

If you want to put food in AFTER Shabbos has started, this is way more complex. We don't do that at the moment because I haven't had a chance to discuss this in detail with my Rabbi.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 9:24 am
Was OP asking about putting it in after Shabbos?

(Very complex issue to put food in oven on Shabbos. Most poskim don't permit this and one needs to ask her rav to find out the halachic intricacies.)

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Fri, Mar 22 2013, 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 9:25 am
HY, I know people who do put food in the oven after Shabbos has started, per their Rabbi.

There are some restrictions (I think it has to go in a pot inside something else?) but there are valid shittos about this. I just wanted to clarify in case someone misunderstands.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 9:37 am
I edited my post.
I still never heard of a posek who permitted it but ok Smile

mommyhood

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 10:33 am
We made a kiddush recently and asked this sheila. There are a few issues with leaving your chulent in the oven
1) you can't put any food in for Friday night becasue once you open the oven you have to take everything out. So if you want hot food for Friday night you have to leave on a blech or some other option.
2) It could be problematic to open and close the oven on Shabbos because you may be causing the fire to turn on or off.
We were told that if we must leave something in the oven for Shabbos morning we should take it out as quickly as possible so the door is open as short a time as possible to minimize the chance of turning on the fire.

granolamom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 12:29 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Was OP asking about putting it in after Shabbos?

(Very complex issue to put food in oven on Shabbos. Most poskim don't permit this and one needs to ask her rav to find out the halachic intricacies.)

OP, here

I was not asking about putting food in the oven on shabbos. afaik, you can't.
I was just asking about the cooking logistics (will the cholent burn, what temp do you leave it at, etc). I know that halachic issues like these are not for imamother Smile

ROFL

Post Fri, Mar 22 2013, 12:54 pm
I use it for Friday nights. Keeps food nice and hot.
for shabat lunch I put cholent at about 200 double wrap the cholent in aluminum foil and I also put in on another tray so if it does drip out my oven is not dirty.
Enjoy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen