Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is Azamra a name?
1  2  Next

ah1017

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 5:15 pm
My husband and I both randomly thought of Azamra as the name for a baby girl, but neither of us actually knows or has heard anyone with this name. We were thinking about the name 'Azamra Tahara' which has a beautiful meaning and sounds nice (I will sing purity/purely). I was wondering if 'Azamra' was TOO out there, like..is it actually a name? We are kind of natural crunchy hippie types anyways so nothing would be looked at too weird in our community but I wanted to know if this was TOTALLY out there or not... thoughts?

Cookies n Cream

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 5:43 pm
Never heard of it, but I did hear of a couple of people named Ashira.

gold21

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 7:07 pm
I dunno. I never heard of the name Azamra, but it sounds pretty. My suggestion would be to pair a funky-hippie type of name like Azamra with a more classic name like Tova, Esther, etc., so that if your daughter dislikes the funky-hippie name she has something more classic to fall back on.

cookiejar

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 7:59 pm
gold21 wrote:
I dunno. I never heard of the name Azamra, but it sounds pretty. My suggestion would be to pair a funky-hippie type of name like Azamra with a more classic name like Tova, Esther, etc., so that if your daughter dislikes the funky-hippie name she has something more classic to fall back on.

This. I think Azamra sounds pretty, but together with the second name, to me, it is a little too poetic, song-y, like you're trying to tell a story with your child's name? (Not sure if I'm kaing sense to anyone else but me!) I also think I would put it with a more lassic, simple name, that doesn't necessarily mean something as DEEP as Tahara - you don't need the name to scream "we are crunchy hippies!" AND you don't want your daughter to always feel weird, in case she doesn't love it like you do...

amother

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 8:02 pm
I love it! My daughter's name is ashira, and my father sometimes calls her azamra as a nickname. I was recently thinking it would be such a pretty name..

ally

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 10:53 pm
ah1017 wrote:
My husband and I both randomly thought of Azamra as the name for a baby girl, but neither of us actually knows or has heard anyone with this name. We were thinking about the name 'Azamra Tahara' which has a beautiful meaning and sounds nice (I will sing purity/purely). I was wondering if 'Azamra' was TOO out there, like..is it actually a name? We are kind of natural crunchy hippie types anyways so nothing would be looked at too weird in our community but I wanted to know if this was TOTALLY out there or not... thoughts?

It's not a name but you could probably get away with it as long as you don't live in a very conservative community. It does have a pretty ring to it.
I do have to say that Tahara makes me think of the Chevra kadisha.

chanchy123

Post Sat, Mar 23 2013, 10:56 pm
I've never heard of it, but if it totally can be a name. Our forefathers in the TaNaCh chose names that expressed their inner feelings and deep ideas, there is no reason you can't do this too.
Anyway - sounds great to me, go for it.

carpediem

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 3:14 am
It's actually the name of a chassidish seminary in Israel. I think it's pretty, but ashiras definitely more common Smile

amother

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 5:55 am
I haven't heard of Azamra, but I did know someone called Zimratya (as in "azi v'zimratya").

amother

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 6:48 am
I'm walking around with a very uncommon name which my parents adore!
This much I did, My three daughters have the most common names: Rachel Yudit, Sarah and Chana.

It's up to you, but think about her feelings. Every time I have to say my name to a stranger, I wonder what they think.
Imagine if my parents would like a different name better! Or at least a name that people heard of! doesn't have be the most common one but neither too uncommon.

Mazel Tov to your new daughter and may she bring you much joy and nachat!

agreer

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 8:29 am
Azamra sounds pretty... Tahara, not so much. I have never heard of either as a name bing I think u have a better chance with azamra.

I dont think ashira was a real name till ppl stared using it. Start something new!

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
I haven't heard of Azamra, but I did know someone called Zimratya (as in "azi v'zimratya").

isnt that two separate words, "azi v'zimras kah"

Isramom8

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 8:58 am
Azamra isn't totally out there, but I think people may always compare it to Ashira.

Tahara is unfortunately like what we do to a deceased body.

Zimratya is two words, but lots of names are combos of two words, like Bentzion, Batya, Batsheva, etc.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 9:03 am
Never heard of it.

I personally am very against naming kids things that might embarrass them.. If I really needed to name after an unconventional name, I would do a middle name that is more typical.

I have seen so many kids embarassed of their Jewish name and end either making up a nickname totally separate than their name or only using their legal name.

chani8

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 9:19 am
Sounds african to me, not jewish.

Also, no way on the name Tahara.

spring13

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 9:30 am
Azamra, ok - its pretty, be prepared to explain that you made it up. Tahara, not so much. I do know a girl named Tohar, but if you're using a very inventive first name, stick with a more solid middle. What about Miriam or Devorah, women from Tanach who sang?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 11:37 am
Temimah (perfect) is kind of similar to tahara ( purity)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 11:41 am
How would you pronounce it: a-ZAHM-ra? a-zahm-RAH? I guess the only think that counts is your opinion, but the name and the combo are... eh. It sounds like thrilled first time parents trying to convey the message that they are thrilled with having a baby. I guess it would go well with a Carlebach-type crowd maybe. The Tahara part, as mentioned, connotes death rather than life.

chani8

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 12:28 pm
My oldest DD (19) just informed me that she knows a religious(DL) girl named:

Zimrat (zim rraht)

It's unusual, but sounds nice in hebrew.

DD says that Zimratya would be even nicer.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 24 2013, 1:10 pm
I have a cousin named Zimra, and one named Toar. Both in Israel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names