Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Pulling teeth for orthodontic treatment

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:34 pm
My daughter's orthodontist is recommending pulling THREE baby teeth (molars) at a time, so that the new ones come in straight. One is already coming through in the wrong place, becasue the old tooth refuses to move. He says the same will happen with the next two.

But: I'm worried that maybe the back one isn't really a baby tooth, yeah paranoid I guess... Also, how will she eat with so many teeth missing? And although they will all come out at once, I will not allow general anesthesia on her. Will it be traumatic for her, more so bec. of three at a time? (they are all in a row, so same shots will numb the entire area.).

Does this sound right to anyone?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:37 pm
I had four permanent teeth pulled out before I had braces put on, it wasn't traumatic at all and completely painless. Don't worry, her eating isn't going to be impaired!

I'm sure the doctor knows if he's pulling out baby teeth or not, they appear completely different in x-rays.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:43 pm
I also got 4 teeth pulled before braces. I can't remember if they were permanent or baby teeth, I think baby teeth.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:48 pm
my son got 4 teeth pulled 2 were loose one was 1/2 and the last was so strong that my son was screaming on the top of his lungs - just make sure when you do it the dr knows what to do - I had a student who was apprehensive so I had to bribe my son and tell the guy to grab and make sure it comes out this time while another dentist helped me hold my son and calm him down.

yersp

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:51 pm
I had my 2 pointy teeth on the bottom plus back teeth ( I don't remember how many) pulled. I felt like an alteh babbeh but hey, my teeth are straight now!!!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:53 pm
Why didn't your doctor use novacaine?

My doc gave me laughing gas and novacaine. It was great!

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:56 pm
By the way TR go to an oral surgeon cause they know what they are doing
My sons teeth are nice now too
My dd we actually thought he was going to pull - but miraculously (still in the making) he put a spring to pull 2 teeth apart in front side so that a tooth which grew behind can now come to the front. It is so kool to see what they can do now

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:14 pm
My old dentist pulled a whopping 13 baby teeth in total - generally, it was 2 or 3 at a time, and this went on for a few years.

I still had braces. The dentist was convinced that I'd need to get 4 permanent teeth pulled as well as he said there was no room. At that point, my parents took me to various orthodontists for second opinions. We went with the ortho who said that pulling the permanent teeth shouldn't be necessary - and it wasn't.

I can't know what would have happened if we hadn't agreed to having the baby teeth pulled, but I do know that I was really, really scared to go to the dentist for a long time. That feeling may have contributed to my reluctance to have my impacted wisdom teeth removed (which was a bad move, b/c I ended up having an emergency extraction on Rosh Hashana while 8 mos preg., when one tooth got so badly infected that I couldn't open my mouth properly or eat).

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:17 pm
wow - scary JRK - I think these days they just start so young that some people end up pulling too many teeth and having braces for 6 years instead of 2

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:26 pm
Thanks everyone, I was wondering how common this is, I guess it's pretty common. We are being sent to an oral surgeon. But that practice is so busy, I hope they pay attention and pull the right teeth. Being paranoid again... Rolling Eyes

Did you hear the one about the guy who comes to the dentist in terrible pain, but refuses to tell the dentist which tooth it is, and says: You're the dentist, you're getting paid; you should know! So the dentist guesses and pulls one, but the old guy shakes his head and says that's not it. he pulls another, and another, and the guy keeps saying that's not it! Finally the fellow has only one tooth left in his mouth shock He says to the dentist: HaHa, the joke's on you. You never guessed which one!

Another fellow used to curse an anti-Semite that he knew. "All of his teeth should fall out, only one should be left, for toothache! Wink

JRK, did the other dentists feel that the baby teeth extraction was also unnecessary?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:30 pm
TR you can always ask to look at the x-ray cause you will inevitably see the baby tooth and the big tooth right under ... that ought to pacify your paranoia

rachel

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 2:07 pm
It's always good to go for a second opinion. From my personal experience: My dh was told by an oral surgeon that he needs all 4 wisdom teeth pulled plus one other. He went for a 2-nd opinion and in the end only one was pulled and on one regular he had a root canal done. That saved him 4 teeth. But maybe baby teeth are different.

withhumor

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 3:21 pm
If I would’ve pulled my 4 wisdom teeth when I was 19, I would’ have this one popping tooth now. After 7 years of orthodontic treatment, it’s sad that we didn’t pull it out in time. The pressure from the wisdom teeth made everything snap back into it’s old crooked position, all that money in the garbage. Now that the wisdom teeth are out (was no big deal, did it in a few minutes, local anesthesia) I have to redo the whole braces thing for about 12 months.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 6:19 pm
Get other opinions before pulling teeth! I was supposed to have 4 pulled out, bh we saw other docs and I had no tooth pulled!

shoy18

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 7:04 pm
I had three baby teeth pulled, the new ones came in and the old ones never got loose they just shifted. Just make sure the dentist uses enough laughing gas, I woke up as the were pulling my tooth, IT HURT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics