Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to "tzinius-ize" a baby toy?
1  2  Next

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:45 pm
I got this plush cloth chair for my daughter as as present. The picture of Ariel (the mermaid) shows shoulders and cleavage, as well as blowing flaming red hair. How would I fix this? Marker would come off...

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:47 pm
Permanent black marker won't come off plush fabric - go for it Exclamation

shoy18

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:47 pm
do yourself a favor and just return it, why would you deface it. and more so why did you buy it, if you thought it was inappropriate

amother

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:53 pm
Shoy reread Exclamation she said she got it as a gift/present.
I would also just use a permannat marker not nessecarily black though

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:55 pm
But this could turn into a learning experience for her daughter. Mommastuff could ask her daughter to help her make Ariel more tznius and do a mitzvah, and they could very carefully draw a nice shirt with colored permanent or black marker. The daughter would learn and would take pride in whole thing.

anuta

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:16 pm
I would make a slipcover.
How big is a picture of Ariel? If its not too big, you can cover it with a sticker/stickers.

Boys"R"Us

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:18 pm
You could use fabric paint. You can get it in little applicator bottles at craft stores, and even the dollar store sometimes!

Depending on how old your daughter is, you might NOT want her to watch you "drawing on furniture"!! It might give her some new ideas Wink

mumoo

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:20 pm
slipcover-like a small pillowcase, tacked/sewed in the corners- that's an excellent idea, anuta

just putting clothing on the girl still leaves her image. do you want her in your house at all?

we bought a book once- a big picture book with different scenes and the words/names. apparently one scene was 'at the beach.' I found my then 10 year dd markering in clothes on all the bathers

GAMZu

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:31 pm
If you want to leave Ariel there, this is what you can do: cut a shirt from scrap fabric to fit the shape of her body. Then hand stitch it around the edges.

If you want to get rid of the whole image, find an old shirt with a cute picture on it. Even something on a big sale- you can get it especially for this purpose. Cut the picture out with enough fabric around it to cover the entire image and sew it on.

Coloring with marker just makes it look junky.

dr pepper

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:38 pm
What's wrong with flaming red hair?

mumoo

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:42 pm
nothing, if it covers the bare shoulders and cleavage

dr pepper

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:44 pm
LOL, but from the post she made it seem like the hair itself was a problem and would have to be fixed...

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:55 pm
this post reminds me of a doll my dd had when she was little "Jammy Pie" the bottoms would fall down and the nakete tush" was just there - we thought it was funny!

brooklyn

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:25 am
I think the whole post is rediculous. If the item is not tznua enough for you then return it or give it away.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:30 am
Put a strip of black electical tape over her cleavage.

Isn't she a mermaid? Why does she have to be tzanua? Aren't women allowed to see other women in bathing suits?

Why would a MERMAID wear a long sleeve top? That wouldn't be so practical for swimming. Too much friction and drag against the water.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:46 am
Finally, a response worth reading.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:52 am
broklyn and defy, right on. I couldnt agree with you more!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 6:05 am
Is somebody actually getting "turned-on" by this mermaid - cause they really need help.

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 6:50 am
Brooklyn, Defy, Greenfire and Shabbat:
Have you guys never heard of the concept of trying to surround your children with only kosher/ tznius toys?
It's not about anyone getting turned on (LOL), but it's an ideal that many people try to aspire to, to keep their children's toys free of immodest icons and treif animals.

Personally, I was looking for a little chair for my daughter and I had to skip the cartoon characters because they were all untznius. I got her a wooden chair instead.
If you could slipcover it, that would be great...But if it will look like trash after you color all over it, I would just give it away to someone who can use it.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 7:04 am
That is why I said to just get rid of it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics