Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Soy Formula Alert

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:17 pm
http://www.westonaprice.org/br.....d.pdf

mumoo

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:30 pm
oy vey! we use soy milk, soy burgers and soy sauce Smile

it sounds very ominous-and I can't find an ulterior motive for promoting this information, but I have learned that there are usually two sides and some groups are sensationalist. Anyone ever heard this information or another point of view?

as an example, there was a pamphlet recently about brissim. sounded very scary, it said most mohelim use an unkosher clamp. it was very provocative. while I don't doubt the sincerity of the group who published it, Rabbi Fuerst said I could ignore it.

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 11:55 pm
I'm also the biggest skeptic of all time. One point that I'll mention is that soy isoflavones have been used therapeutically in menopausal women to raise levels of estrogen. Mainstream medicine backs this, I believe. It's food for thought. Study

I'm not giving any mussar here, just raising the questions and hoping you'll also ask the questions and look for answers.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:37 am
Is soybean (vegetable) oil okay?

MMEC123

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:03 am
I was just at the doctor with my baby boy yesterday and he recommends specifically using soy-based formula so babies don't develop milk allergies. Yikes, now I'm getting nervous. I guess I'll call the doctor again and ask him. Oy.

mannyzmom

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:23 am
MMEC123 wrote:
I was just at the doctor with my baby boy yesterday and he recommends specifically using soy-based formula so babies don't develop milk allergies. Yikes, now I'm getting nervous. I guess I'll call the doctor again and ask him. Oy.

I also heard soy is bad for you. thats funny, bc I was told the opp. that its better to give milk formula bc they may dev allergies if theyre given soy formula.

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:27 am
soy and milk are both very common allergens in babies.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:44 am
AFAIK, soy is junk food, but dont kid yourself, you know what kind of junk is in the milk formula too? Nursing is best for a reason, but if you cant do it, dont let sensationalists drive you up the wall.

Emuna

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:18 pm
I agree 100% that breasfeeding is best. Milk formula isn't perfect either, of course. But the issue I'm bringing up here is very serious, because it's involving the hormones of boys especially. Soy isoflavones raise the levels of estrogen. This is why menopausal women take soy. Do you really want to give this as the ONLY sourse of food to an infant - boy especially?

Please don't think this is just quackery. Soy foods have lots of estrogen in them. Breastmilk does not. Even milk formula does not. How could I be making this up? Please research EXTENSIVELY before using it.

Emuna

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:21 pm
PS - Torah sources mention that if one can't breasfeed, goat's milk could be used (second to a wet nurse). This tells me that milk from other animals is not completely off. But SOY is never mentioned as a possibility. PLEASE RECONSIDER USING IT.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 2:17 pm
I'm not saying it shouldn't be considered, but really milk formula is nowhere near to animals milk.

Emuna

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:07 pm
That's true. But many women can't breastfeed for whatever reason (my friend had a hormonal issue) and in that case milk formula should be used. You can't say soy formula and milk formula is the same difference. And price should NEVER be an issue when this is the ONLY sustenance your baby will receive for a year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics