Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff I grew up Satmar amother enabled
  1  2  3  41  42  43  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 6:38 pm
this is the op from the I grew up Satmar ask me any question thread. I came on now to answer any questions that people may have had only to find that the entire thread has been moved to a different section of imamother that does not have the amother feature. I ask that the mods move it back to a section that has amother enabled so that I can answer the questions as promised. If that is not possible then I ask people to repost their questions here so that I can answer them. thanks.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 6:45 pm
Mods: any reason why that thread was moved to a section where amother is disabled?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 7:13 pm
I have one question.

Is getting drunk on Simchas Torah a minhag or only some individuals choose to get drunk on simchas torah?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
I have one question.

Is getting drunk on Simchas Torah a minhag or only some individuals choose to get drunk on simchas torah?

op here, I have never seen anyone get drunk on simchas torah. However, I remember going to a certain shul on simchas torah where we got a bag full of candy that we all ate so we must have gotten high from all the sugar. thanks for asking.

forever21

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 8:56 pm
Why arent satmar men and women allowed to go to the kotel?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:14 pm
forever21 wrote:
Why arent satmar men and women allowed to go to the kotel?

op here. Satmar Rebbe, R' Yoel Teitelbaum was very anti-zionist who believed that Jews should not have a state/country of their own until Moshiach comes. He based this on three vows which says that if Jews have their own country then said country will be destroyed.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the three vows so I cant discuss this on a deeper level. I will do some research on it and get back to you asap. Thanks for asking.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:18 pm
Why do many Satmar girls look more provocative in seams then regular hosiery

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:23 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

op here. Thanks for asking. I am not sure if you are serious with this question but I can tell you that I never felt s-xy with my seams on. I always wished I can take it off and eventually I did.
I will however say that I find the Bais Yakov girls very provocative in their black tights as I think that black is s-xy. In fact, Satmar thought black was s-xy and provocative as well since we werent even allowed to wear black tights on Shabbos (before we reached the age of seamed stockings) and only white tights was allowed.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

op again. Have you actually ever seen Satmar girls in regular hosiery??

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:25 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

If Satmer(or any) girls look provocative, it is because of their clothing, hair , makeup or a combination.
It is definitely not due to their seams..

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

op here. Thanks for asking. I am not sure if you are serious with this question but I can tell you that I never felt s-xy with my seams on. I always wished I can take it off and eventually I did.
I will however say that I find the Bais Yakov girls very provocative in their black tights as I think that black is s-xy. In fact, Satmar thought black was s-xy and provocative as well since we werent even allowed to wear black tights on Shabbos (before we reached the age of seamed stockings) and only white tights was allowed.

white tights was for kavud hashabbos.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

op here. that is a matter of opinion. some girls preferred black as it was fancier (and felt more shabbosdig) but they werent allowed to do so.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

op here. that is a matter of opinion. some girls preferred black as it was fancier (and felt more shabbosdig) but they werent allowed to do so.

but not because black is s -xy

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:04 pm
which minhogim did u & do u find the most difficult to keep?
do u still identify with satmer? if not have u joined another frum sect?
are u married? how do u plan on raising ur kids?
sorry for being a nosy body, but u offered!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:10 pm
OP... ..I guess it's what you're used to . I always found black to be ugly and blah..
But many non jews have told me ther seams is exciting and tantalizing and were very surprised to hear that some religious girls wear it for modesty rather than fashion sense

Sahmom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:27 pm
How did your parents accept your changes?
Are they upset with you or accepting the change nicely?

tissues

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 10:29 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
OP... ..I guess it's what you're used to . I always found black to be ugly and blah..
But many non jews have told me ther seams is exciting and tantalizing and were very surprised to hear that some religious girls wear it for modesty rather than fashion sense

There's a big difference between seams on Palm tights which is what satmar girls are supposed to wear and seams sewn onto regular hosiery. The former is barely visible, the latter looks like a real seam. Also, there's a difference if the seam is worn inside toward the leg, or outside towards the outside.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 11:04 pm
tissues wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:

There's a big difference between seams on Palm tights which is what satmar girls are supposed to wear and seams sewn onto regular hosiery. The former is barely visible, the latter looks like a real seam. Also, there's a difference if the seam is worn inside toward the leg, or outside towards the outside.

Right. Have you actually seen the seamed stockings satmar girls wear? They arent s-xy by anyone's standards, including those who are into seams. Except maybe some weird satmar fetishists. The stockings themselves are a thick, ugly beige. And the women wearing them make a point of dressing decidedly UNsexy overall.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
which minhogim did u & do u find the most difficult to keep?
do u still identify with satmer? if not have u joined another frum sect?
are u married? how do u plan on raising ur kids?
sorry for being a nosy body, but u offered!

Op here. Thanks for your questions.
Minhagim that were difficult to keep-- the seamed stockings, the shaved hair, the whole b'show process, not being able to see my chason during our engagement, I absolutely hated cleaning for Pesach (we turned everything upside down, inside out even things that we wouldnt be touching on Pesach), wearing a shvimkleid, these are the ones I can think of right now.

I do not currently identify with Satmar but you know what they say--you can take a girl out of Satmar but you cant take Satmar out of the girl. yup, true for me. I have been so conditioned in so many ways that its hard to live life outside of the community.

I'd rather not answer any questions in regard to marriage or children as I think it would be identifiable and there are a lot of people on here who want to chop my head off right now so I'd rather play it safe for now. I'm sorry I have to do that but I hope you understand why.

Thanks again and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 16 2013, 11:22 pm
Sahmom wrote:
How did your parents accept your changes?
Are they upset with you or accepting the change nicely?

op here. It was and still is complicated. lots of conflicts and pain involved. they supported some things but not everything and our relationship is still a work in progress.
Page 1 of 43   1  2  3  41  42  43  Next Recent Topics