Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Piercing ears - what's the right age?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 5:52 pm
Anyone, at what age do you pierce your daughters ears? And if you don't believe in it why not?

Motek

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:06 pm
my father didn't like the idea (though he's not the type to forbid it)

his reason: you're making a mum (a blemish)

I pierced my ears when I was married bec. the clip-on earrings HURT me!

happyduck

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:27 pm
When she is old enough to take care of them herself, and IF she wants them, I ill agree. In the meantime, why put holes in her that she is not born with? I did mine around my Bat Mitzvah becuase I wanted to. My sister never wanted it so never did. This way I leave something that can affect her indaviduality up to her.

Rivk

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:41 pm
One of my pet peeves is seeing tiny babies with pierced ears. My parents had me wait until my bas mitzvah and I remember counting down the years as a kid!

technic

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 6:47 pm
lol I have been arguing this one for yrs w my oldest daughter!!!..I claim that if Hashem wanted us 2 have holes in our ears we would have been born with them (but thats only bcos im a wimp and dont look 4 unnecessary pain - isnt childbirth enough shock )...so we agreed that she could have them done 4 her batmitzva iyh( which seemed a long way away at the time) and were almost THERE!!!!..so b careful what u promise ur kids in the future cos the future COMES Exclamation

mother of 2 princess's

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 7:03 pm
well actually I wanted to have my daughters peirced when she was about 6 months but we didnt in the end!!! I did it when she was 5 I actually did it myself as im trained to!! eventhough she was my 2nd person id ever peirced. I was so nervos. I was worried id peirce one and then she wouldnt let me peirce the other. but I was amazed she said och let me look in the mirror and see what it looks like and then said quickly do the other ear!!!!
I gave her the choice when she wanted to have it done and by me or someone else.

it was so cute I told my neighbour I did it myself and she said have you got your own gun and I replied yes

the next day she said mummy have you got a gun???

she dosnt really like changing her earings often. but shes gettng better at doing it now.

her ears were a bit sore last week so I left her earings out for one day and it nearly closed up as kids heal so quickly. I peirced them over a year ago by the way. so even though they say 6 - 8 weeks with kids they need longer.

a kid in my community lost her earing on shabbos and her dad asked me if I could put her earing in after shabbos and it had closed up!!!

Ozmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 7:50 pm
I got another question
just to be annoying Twisted Evil
If Rivka Imeinu was given nose rings and stuff then why is it not acceptable to have nose rings now, and whats wrong with having 2 holes in one ear

When I say non acceptable I mean in the circles of which is it unacceptable, I understand that not everyone holds by that.

Sunshine

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:23 pm
I would do it arround age 7. I think if they are mature and will take care of it maybe at 6. But no later than 7. I had mine done at the same time as my older sis (we are close in age) and I was 7. The place didn't really want to do it to children under 8 but when they saw how good I was LOL they agreed! I took very good care of them and cleaned them every night. I think if you wait too long it is scarier for the child. If I would have had to wait till 12 I would be scared of the pain too much and would not want to get it done, but a younger child doesn't think as much about pain.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:30 pm
I ditto HappyDuck 100%!

Ozmom, Twisted Evil !

technic, so why are the boys born w/ foreskin?

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:32 pm
So now you are probably wondering why is this thread in chinuch and education as opposed to other threads.

You see and no I don't want to open a whole can of worms, maybe only half a can. Smile
But The Lubavitcher Rebbe in answer to someones question on this, said Bas Mitzvah is the right age or over, not b/4!

It is in a book that Chaim Dalfin, who is quite reliable and has sources for everything put together.

So how come most lubavitch babies, children have their ears pierced early. And how come I've never heard of this till I read it? Has anyoneelse read or heard of this, what does it mean Confused

Rose

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:51 pm
I did pierced my daughters ears when they were newborns. It was the best thing. They don't touch it because they dont know what it is. By the time they discover there ears they are so used to the earings it doesnt bother them.

Ozmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:01 pm
freilich I thought the L Rebbe said when they are at an age they can choose.

FY I was gonna ask about belly rings but thought I'd be pushing it too far

Rose did they cry? did it hurt at that age?

Ozmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:05 pm
still waiting for an answer to my original question

If I don't get an answer soon I'm off to the chemist for a second hole in my ear.

oh yeah and one in my belly. I was thinking of one of those sleepers in the belly and a tiny stud as my second earing in my ear, what do you think?

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:06 pm
I can't stand the idea of poking anyting into my tiny little baby.
When she want's it, I'll let her have it, Bli Neder

Oz, lol

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:10 pm
Oz, our post crossed in the cyberspace -

I want a picture of that.

Now, to make sure that you will not be kicked out of your community Twisted Evil , I'll tell you that we don't do too many holes b/c where we live only weirdos do it.

The truth is, I associate noserings w/ cows (sorry, but if yo udo it, I want a pic Twisted Evil )

Belly ring is plain impractical & will be very uncomfortable during pregnancy Tongue Out

With a nose ring yo won't be able to blow your nose w/out pain if you get a cold.

Did I manage to stop you or will I get a pic? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Tongue Out Tongue Out

Sunshine

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:18 pm
Freilich where does it say this? What book and page and what is his source for it? I have never heard of this before!

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:30 pm
Oz and Sunshine it is in Advice from the Rebbe one of five soft paperback series, put together by Chaim Dalfin. When I get a chance I will find exact volume, page, and quote! Maybe tommorrow ia"h

And Oz if you are thinking of a belly ring why not whilst you are at it get one in your eyebrow and tongue Tongue Out

Ozmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:37 pm
fy I've seen plenty of respectable looking people with second earings, just not frum ppl. My question is why?

freilich I don't fancy earings in the eyebrows they look gross and no thankyou to the tongue I like to speak clearly thanks.

I always wondered that about nose rings. seeing them makes me wanna sneaze.

now belly rings........well whose gonna know besides me and hubby?

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:40 pm
Quote:
now belly rings........well whose gonna know besides me and hubby?

Twisted Evil And the mikveh lady and, and your Dr and and and......

Ozmom

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 9:42 pm
mikvah lady?
only if she notices the hole.
but I assure you, our Timmy dearest wont care.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics