Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Costco
1  2  Next

SS6099

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:42 pm
What DO people get there? I went for the first time and I'm soooo overwhelmed....

bananasplit

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:45 pm
Fruits and veggies, grape juice, water,seltzer, soda cans, paper goods, cleaning supplies, food, detergent, toothbrushes, toothpaste ......pretty much anything and everything!

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:47 pm
We're new members there too, and I usually just get the basics. Laundry detergent, Bounty paper towels, Kleenex tissues, sandwich bags, silver foil, diapers for baby, office supplies, etc. I sometimes check their health and beauty section if I have a use for big bottles or packages.

I only went through the entire store the first time, so that I could see what they offer and where it all is. Now I know which sections to go to.

I got a beautiful planter with flowers today. My first of the season, and it made me so happy Smile

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:47 pm
At least half our shopping! Salad, veggies, fruit, chumus, nosh, cereal, drinks, condiments and sauces, staples like flour, sugar, or oil, laundry stuff, paper and plastic goods. It can be overwhelming, though.

chilled

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:48 pm
baby wipes, diapers, garbage bags, oil, ketchup, fruits and veggies, sliced and shredded cheese, lemon juice, coffee, grape juice, brooms, bulbs, albums, drinks..... Lotsa stuff!!!

SS6099

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:54 pm
Wow! Great suggestions! I guess I need to go through the store slowly and familiarize myself with the stuff...

proud mom2

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:57 pm
Did u just get me started? Im ADDICTED to that place!!
Diapers, wipes, makeup, deodorant, clothes, paper towels... why I am even bothering to list their stuff is beyond me.. Ill never end! Just BEWARE. you end up spending 12 times the amount u thought you will. Hope your bank account is prepared Smile

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:18 pm
I go with a list. And cash. So I can only buy what I really need Smile

Here is just some things that come to mind that I like to buy there

honey
olive oil
batteries
Cetephil
Claritin
tampons
shredded cheese
cold cuts

Don't buy huge bags of items just because they are cheap. You will just end up using more of that item than you usually do. Only stock up on things you constantly are restocking on.

Know your prices before you go. If you're in Brooklyn, things like papergoods are more expensive at Costco than elsewhere.

Jughead

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:36 pm
In Lakewood, many items are cheaper in Shoprite

amother

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:45 pm
Don't do it Smile
it's very rare to save money, it's convenient and fun but unless ur disciplined it's gonna cost you big time.
It's a big psych game and you are the pawn, sorry to be so negative but it's not for most people.
But have fun if you decide to anyway Smile Smile Smile

tooperfect

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 10:08 am
we buy soy milk there, and its worth the cost of membership just for that

amother

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 10:20 am
Am I the only one who buys CLOTHING at Costco? Not all the time, but I often see some things we need-bathing suits (for the kids), shirts (for me, my husband), socks (husband), underwear, t shirts. . . I also always buy my phones and some other electronics there-they have a great return policy. . .

Their eggs, cheese, frozen pizza, franks in blanks, salmon, yogurt are all cheaper than Shoprite's! Their produce costs way more but is gorgeous!!!!!

Viennese

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:32 am
Paper goods, fruits and vegetables, coke, juice, maple syrup, batteries, lightbulbs, plastic cutlery, detergents, pampers, tylenol and motrin, and many pharmacy items.

And most of my electronics come from there: phones, printer, fax machine, keyboards/mice, camera, as well as some real big purchases like my air conditioner.

I can spend hours in that store!!

mandr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:18 pm
My parents: Whatever Costco sells that our family normally uses, we get from Costco.

Fruits, vegetables, canned goods, pasta, clothing, beauty aids, OTC drugs, shampoo, Always, detergent, fabric softener, nuts, coffee, candy, water, drinks, tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, cutlery, napkins, cups, plants, office supplies, glue sticks, business checks, albums, medication, tires, photos, TV monitors (for my father's business), pretzels, black and whites, cheese, fish every week...

I can go on and on Wink

SS6099

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:55 pm
And for all of you who shop there, do you find that you save $ in the long run?

mandr

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:57 pm
My parents don't shop there to save money. They go because there's nothing else like it, where you can buy in bulk like that. That's the part they like. You don't save TONS by going there.

CatLady

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:52 pm
I love Costco. It's my happy place! I get fruits and veggies galore, bread, cleansers, laundry soap, housewares, paper goods, vitamins, dairy (milk is $1.50 less than in the supermarket!), fish, condiments of all kinds, almond butter (the huge jar is the same price as a miniscule jar from the supermarket), jam, honey, tea, coffee, oil, clothing, books and magazines, dark chocolate, salmon (fresh or smoked), etc., etc. And when my TV needs replacing, guess where the replacement will come from!!

perquacky

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:59 pm
Milk and eggs are much cheaper at Costco--at least in the NY area.

And toilet paper--the Kirkland brand, which is their best-selling item.

Laundry detergent

Challah--packaged, not from their bakery (Beigel's, I believe. It's MUCH cheaper than the kosher bakeries, and a good option when I can't bake on Fridays.

Sheet cakes for birthdays--our Costco has a kosher, but dairy, bakery. So good!

Flour

Spices--not necessarily cheaper, but of excellent quality

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:40 pm
SS6099 wrote:
And for all of you who shop there, do you find that you save $ in the long run?

yes, esp if I use the optical services. my glasses in places like lenscrafters cost close to $500, half that at costco (and I'm talking prada frames from $99). while the selection isn't huge, this alone is worth the membership.

oh, and the giant mangoes.

mom2be1

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:41 pm
I x think anyone mentioned thier coupons yet. They add up to gr8 savings. Some of my favorite things from Costco is cases of water Kirkland brand paper towel Kleenex tissues garbage bags-BEST quality ever! An the vanilla extract. Holiday time you can get good toys in the spring you can get nice flowes. I develop pictures there oh and also a fountain soda is .59 with free refills and you can score some free samples so its fun!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics