Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Calling all bird enthusiasts! Did someone say EGGS?!
1  2  3  Next

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 1:59 pm
My lovebirds have been mating and nesting like crazy. I put a nest box in their cage. 3 weeks go by, nothing. They would just play in the nest box as if it was a tree house. Today as I was cleaning their cage and feeding them, I peeked into their box and saw an EGG! I've hand fed finches, cockatiels, parakeets, conures, macaws, crows and other wild birds, but I have to admit I never dealt with lovebirds before.

Is there anything you can tell me about them? Are they good parents?

chani8

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:07 pm
Fun for you! It's my understanding that they make good parents. Obviously keep an eye on them, as things can go wrong.

Also, if you want them to be tame, then you don't have to hand feed them, just take the babies out to play and be held every day.

This is what I have read and what I plan to do, if my love birds would just make some eggs already!

I put ten select love birds in a cage, and they paired up so sweetly . . . same zex couples. I have only one real couple. And am trying to pair up two new eye rings (black masked). It's not going as well as I had hoped.

But the one real couple, when I introduced them to each other, they must have fell in love at first sight, because once I opened the two cages, they ran at each other with open wings and kissed and have been inseparable since. Wow, was that cute.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:16 pm
Awe they sound so cute. I love the black masked! Mine are a pair of peach faced. Have you seen how they make their nests? It's amazing! I can sit and watch them for hours. They rip up the newspaper and stuff the scraps in their feathers. (I tried to put bedding in their cage, but they literally tossed it out.) It's a relief to hear that they are generally good parents. The cockatiels I had in the past were awful parents. This is very exciting. I hope these eggs are fertile!

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:52 pm
my mother's sunshine birdy lays eggs all the time - alas she has not found a mate [probably because nobody made a shidduch]

she guards the eggs and hides them and is a little more moody when they are there

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 3:09 pm
Tell your mom about dummy eggs. You put them with the female and it makes her think it's her egg. It usually stops them from laying egg after egg. Also add some egg shells to her diet, because all the egg laying is depleting her calcium.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 3:44 pm
how do you get a bird to eat egg shells ???

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:41 pm
Hard boil the eggs, and take the shells off the egg. You can grind it up or use large pieces. I also give some of the egg too. Some of my birds love it, while others don't think much of it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 4:43 pm
sounds like sunshine will benefit from the calcium [she had an accident last summer] so I'm definitely going to tell my mother - thanx

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 9:16 am
Another egg is in the nest box! This time I got a picture Very Happy

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:03 am
Cool!

We had two mourning doves make a nest right outside our window and we watched them build it from scratch it was so cool, she laid two eggs.
One day at lunch time I saw her siting on the eggs, that night dh went to take a look and the birds and the eggs were GONE!

Still cannot figure out what happened there, we never even got to do shiluach haken....and no one else did because it is in an impossible to reach area.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 10:27 am
That's so sad! Mourning doves are very docile and skittish birds. Another bird or animal could have gotten to the nest. Birds don't get discouraged though. They probably upped and built another nest at a new location.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:01 pm
MrsDash wrote:
That's so sad! Mourning doves are very docile and skittish birds. Another bird or animal could have gotten to the nest. Birds don't get discouraged though. They probably upped and built another nest at a new location.
I know!
Either that or my son plain and literally scared them away, but then how did they take the eggs?!

MrsDash

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 12:45 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
MrsDash wrote:
I know!
Either that or my son plain and literally scared them away, but then how did they take the eggs?!

They might have knocked them out. Sad

On a happy note, I realized that I miscalculated when she laid her first egg. Today I found 4 eggs in the nest box! Tongue Out

MrsDash

Post Sun, Apr 28 2013, 1:36 pm
4 eggs!

greenfire

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 1:31 pm
kool pictures

[p.s. my mama already give her calcium as well as knew about the eggshells]

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 10:42 am
greenfire wrote:
kool pictures

[p.s. my mama already give her calcium as well as knew about the eggshells]

Mamas know best Wink Wink

MrsDash

Post Fri, May 03 2013, 10:43 am
Forgot to update - mama lovie has laid another 2 eggs! That makes 6 EGGS = (hopefully) 6 BABIES! Very Happy

MrsDash

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 8:57 am
**UPDATE**

The first of the eggs have hatched! Welcome to the world baby lovebird #1 Cheers

greenfire

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 11:00 am
wow ~
mazel tov Drunken Smile

chocolate chips

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 2:06 pm
omg that is so cool!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets