Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Poll of all Polls
1  2  3  Next

Which one are you?
Modern Orthodox LW / Liberal  
 7%  [ 18 ]
Modern Orthodox / Somewhere in the middle  
 7%  [ 18 ]
Modern Orthodox RW / Machmir  
 8%  [ 19 ]
Modern Yeshivish  
 8%  [ 21 ]
Yeshivish Affiliated  
 9%  [ 22 ]
yeshivish  
 12%  [ 29 ]
Chabbad  
 10%  [ 24 ]
Chassidish  
 21%  [ 52 ]
Charedi  
 3%  [ 8 ]
None of the above  
 10%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 237

robynm

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 12:52 pm
Pick one

*Disclaimer, I had a bunch of other options but you can only submit a certain amount.
*Not in order of observance.

robynm

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:05 pm
Is it me? Should I have posted as amother Wink
C'mon, I know you are looking. What's so hard about voting?

busydev

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:40 pm
it is erev shabbos... and people in Israel are mostly not available right now I would think...

give it time LOL

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:48 pm
What if I am a yiras shamayim, eved Hashem, shomer mitzvos person? Why do I have to be one of those? How can we create achdus and ahavas yisrael when we have so many subdivisions? What about just frum?

robynm

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
What if I am a yiras shamayim, eved Hashem, shomer mitzvos person? Why do I have to be one of those? How can we create achdus and ahavas yisrael when we have so many subdivisions? What about just frum?

I think that's a beautiful outlook. Unfortunately there are labels and we do tend to try and fit into them.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:21 pm
I am such a cholent, I have no idea how to define myself.

My mother is a BT via Lubavitch and Bobov, so I went to a chassidish school. My father is a BT via Ohr Sameach, so we belonged to an OOT Yeshivish shul. Both my parents went to an Ivy League school, and have always been pro-education, pro-secular literacy and music, pro-science.

I married a guy who went to Lakewood and the Mir, but eventually left kollel for a Phd in the hard sciences. He would define us as MO ("as soon as you go to college, you become MO" is his belief), but I really, really have a hard time limiting myself to just one box!

And within communities, there is such cross-pollination -- think of how upsherin is becoming standard for Litvaks, or Sfardim who've taken on wearing black jackets and fedoras. Do you identify by whatever derech includes the majority of your practices? What if there is no majority?

Especially for the lifestyles that place a large emphasis on externals, how much does it matter? If you wear a shpitzel but watch Top Chef on your laptop, are you excluded because you don't fit the mold? What if you learn in the Mir but wear a blue shirt? Do you beliefs or practices "count" more? Not in shamayim, but for how you categorize yourself.

I'm kinda rambly, hope this makes sense.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:23 pm
heimish with some chassidish minhagim

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:39 pm
How about if I look one way and people think I am that, but I think/act as another way? Which do I choose?

robynm

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
How about if I look one way and people think I am that, but I think/act as another way? Which do I choose?

Up to you m'dear.

I would say to pick the one that you feel you are.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 3:51 pm
what is modern yeshivishe

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 4:09 pm
How about sefardic?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 4:12 pm
I am just Jewish, aren't we all?

cs1

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 4:23 pm
Thank you robyn!!!!!

I was hoping someone would make this poll.
Please vote!! I'm always curious to where the imamother come from. This would be so helpful!!

mirror

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 4:57 pm
cs1 wrote:
Thank you robyn!!!!!

I was hoping someone would make this poll.
Please vote!! I'm always curious to where the imamother come from. This would be so helpful!!

It explains why on every thread you will have people intent on bashing anyone more religious.

cs1

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 5:51 pm
Which is ironic since it looks like most are more religious....

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 6:05 pm
cs1 wrote:

To me the point of the poll would be related to the debating one. Many chareidim believe that they are in the minority, in debates the MO are more verbal and vocal. However, results seem to say that chareidim are in the majority yet remain silent for the most part. Leads us to wonder why that is the case.

My opinion? MO debaters come across as confident and so sure of themselves while chareidim are usuallly less so. MO debaters don't hesitate to mock or put down customs they are not familiar with or they don't "believe" in while chareidim are usually more respectful of holy stuff. There's more to say, but I think I've said enough to get a pound of tomatoes aimed at my beautiful red head and green body....

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 6:07 pm
in the 6 years I've beenhere, we have discussed this plenty. it's not a new topic

cs1

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
cs1 wrote:

To me the point of the poll would be related to the debating one. Many chareidim believe that they are in the minority, in debates the MO are more verbal and vocal. However, results seem to say that chareidim are in the majority yet remain silent for the most part. Leads us to wonder why that is the case.

My opinion? MO debaters come across as confident and so sure of themselves while chareidim are usuallly less so. MO debaters don't hesitate to mock or put down customs they are not familiar with or they don't "believe" in while chareidim are usually more respectful of holy stuff. There's more to say, but I think I've said enough to get a pound of tomatoes aimed at my beautiful red head and green body....

This.

You are right..but since I am pretty New here (a year or two...) I don't remember seeing this poll come up. In any case..all topics here are usually recycled

amother

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 6:31 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
in the 6 years I've beenhere, we have discussed this plenty. it's not a new topic
I'm not here six years, but I've heard from other chareidim who (have mentioned this publicly and) feel that this hasn't always been like this. The chareidi voice used to be more heard on imamother.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 26 2013, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
cs1 wrote:

How very respectful of you Rolling Eyes

MO follow the rules and post under their own screen name when having a debate such as the one you have started.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics