Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Gmail is now Open for anyone

su7kids

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 10:46 am
Gmail for Everyone

As Google is saying, "it's a Gmail party and everyone is invited!" Ever since Google introduced the Gmail e-mail program to the public back in 2004, it has been an invitation only service. This meant that you either had to be invited by someone who was already using it or you could sign up using your mobile phone. If you wanted an account, you could give them your phone number and they would text message you a code and "invite" you to create an account. What a pain!

Well, all of that is over now. This past Wednesday (February 14, 2007), Google announced that anybody and everybody can now get a Gmail account, no invitation required. Signing up for Gmail is now as easy as creating an account with, say, Hotmail or Yahoo! All you have to do is visit mail.google.com and create an account. You'll just need to fill in a couple pieces of information, agree to their terms and click on the "I accept. Create my account" button. You'll then be all set.

With your Gmail account, you will have a whole 2 GB of space for your e-mails. You can also use Gmail to chat with other users, so be sure to tell all of your friends about this new and exciting discovery. One more thing: if you use Outlook Express or another desktop e-mail client, you can still get your Gmail messages through that. Everything's covered here! So, either way you look at it, this is a great deal.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:14 pm
Wow!

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:52 pm
Google is smart, they have fabulous marketing tactics to help them research the industry before offering things for nothing. With their invite only, they got only interested parties and they were able to monitor stuff that you never knew they can do!

lotte

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 12:58 pm
what's so special about gmail?

su7kids

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:16 pm
What I like about gmail is, firstly, no untznius ads along the side. Secondly, the search feature is wonderful. They have a great storage ability. I like the fact that emails are in "conversations", I.e. under one "title" if they're replying back and forth.

Its fast to upload, relatively plain and no frills. But the main thing is no untznius ads like yahoo and hotmail have along the side.

There is a chat feature which is nice. I use it with my kids. Its free. Every download is scanned for viruses.

Quite a lot of other features, but my favorite has become the search feature.

Basya

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 1:23 pm
I love the chatting option!

Its soo much easier than AIM. And you can chat with many ppl at the same time and you can pop it in and out of your inbox.

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 4:05 pm
I also love the chat, emails in "conversations, search.... Also like the context-sensitive ads. Some people feel their privacy is invaded but I have actually used a couple of thingst that have come up in the ads.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics