Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach non processed Brisket ideas
1  2  Next

LubavitchLeah

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 8:02 pm
This is my situation. I make a brisket during the year with a mixture of fruit chutney, some ketchup and coke, maybe a bit of wine. The sauce is great and its easy to warm up, with the meat pieces inside later.
Now for Pesach, my brisket was a disaster because we dont use processed things so I tried a recipe from Spice and Spirit and it did not taste so great. Any ideas how I can make my own chutney for the sauce?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:01 pm
Pesach food is takeh a "taste"....

LL you CAN make your own ketchup/tomato sauce...we make one with wine and some orange juice, I think... but it's true that the taste is VERY different than during theyear!

shayna82

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:07 pm
I dont get what chutney is, but ill tell you what I do, and maybe youll like this idea:

firstly, last year was my first pesach making the sedarim and everything at home. so I was freaked out in the beginning, but everything came out great.

I heard that deckel roasts are the best roasts. so I got a couple bags of those. I sort of followed a recipe in the pesach cookbook.. not sure which one, but I got it new last year. I put the roast in the middle of the pan with squeezed orange juice, and wine, carrots, onions, potatoes,and salt, and pepper (we got a pepper crusher and whole peper corns or whatver its called), and put orange slices on top of it. cooked for like 2 hours and was AWESOME. sliced it and warmed it up with the liquid from the pan which I kept in a seperate container. we and the guests devowered it, there wasnt a scrap left. I am confident that it will come out great again.

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:09 pm
why not just stick to onions garlic carrots potatoes and whatever spices you use ... that's how I cook to begin with - simple and delish...

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:30 pm
Green, for ppl who are used to something else, it's very hard.

Flowerchild

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:38 pm
this is what I do with my brisket on pesach:

first I salt and pepper the brisket then put in a pot with water and onions, bring it to a boil then simmer for about 2 hours. then take it out put it into a oven pan, take pineapple slices and arrange them over the brisket securing them with toothpick. in a pan mix, pinapple juice, honey, sugar, let it heat, while its heating in a small cup mix potato starch with some water until smooth and add it the mixture, let it boil then lower heat and let it thicken a little bit. pour over the brisket and roasy, basting occasionally for 30 min.

su7kids

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:53 pm
Pesach Brisket:

Bed of onions on the bottom, very thick
Then I take the "usual' vegetables and put them in a blender: Tomatoes, YAM (for sweetness) or sweet potato; zucchini, more onions, tomatoes. Make as liquid as you can in the blender.

Pour that and a bottle of red wine over the meat and let it cook for the "usual" length of time.

Its DEEEVINE.

I think the yam and the tomatoes are great. If you want a fruit flavor like chutney, then use your different fruits, some of all, and maybe blend that and pour it over.

The thick bed of onions on the bottom will stop it from sticking to the pan, and also creates a sweetness of its own.

shayna82

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 9:58 pm
yum that sounds sooo good, so hows it different then just puttin gin the vedgies cut up?

like how does it taste different?

su7kids

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 10:20 pm
Blending them gives them more of a juice/sauce.

You can still do potatoes and stuff with it, but its for flavor.

Also, turn it in the middle of cooking.

shayna82

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 10:23 pm
yum thanks for that!!!

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 10:54 pm
Hey - I have never been accused of not being able to cook - and with all the "restrictions" I would think that you are used to cooking being dif on pesach.

Estee2

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 10:56 pm
Question:

Quote:
I heard that deckel roasts are the best roasts. so I got a couple bags of those. I sort of followed a recipe in the pesach cookbook.. not sure which one, but I got it new last year. I put the roast in the middle of the pan with squeezed orange juice, and wine, carrots, onions, potatoes,and salt, and pepper (we got a pepper crusher and whole peper corns or whatver its called), and put orange slices on top of it. cooked for like 2 hours and was AWESOME.
Question Question

When you say COOK, do you mean cook in pot, or bake in oven,
for two hours ?? Question Question

Thanks !

LubavitchLeah

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 11:57 pm
Su7kids- im printing out your recipe. Think ill use it. THANKS all of you for advice, its all good,will try others' advice too, add a little here and there.

mumof1

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 3:17 am
I put 3 sliced onions and fry them til they are soft I add the brisket brown it on all sides. I salt and pepper it . I add boiling hot water to cover half way. put on a low flame and cover. I cook 1/2 hr. per lb.
its delicious and so easy.
the meat is always so soft and buttery.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 3:30 am
If you are still interested in making Pesach-dik chutney give this a try. I have made this recipe during the year and it is a hit.

5 cups peeled fruit (any or all of apples, pears, peaches, plums, etc.)
1 cup water
1/4 vinegar (if you don't use vingar you could probably substitute lemon juice but check the flavor balance)
1/4 cup sugar (recipe says packed brown but I think I have made it with white and you could use boiled white)
1/4 teaspooon salt
If you use the following you could add:
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
hot pepper, hot paprika or hot sauces to taste.

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and then uncover and let simmer about 30 minutes until the ingredients are all very soft.

If this recipe employs a lot of things you don't eat on Peasch I am really not trying to be insulting or pushy, just helpful.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 4:56 am
you can make your own ketchup, its pretty easy. I've done it and it came out tasting like the israeli osem ketchup (a little sweeter and slightly diff from heinz). if you want the recipe let me know. also you can google "homemade condiments" and get recipes to make all your own condiments.

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 11:59 am
I put in apples and lemon juice for the sweet and tangy and sticky part. Then we put red wine and thinly sliced kohlrabi. Last year I cooked like 10 kohlrabies with onions in my roast and we devoured them to the last piece. It becomes soft and creamy and tastes a bit stronger than fried onions. Along with the sauce from the meat it’s exquisite! (we don’t use pepper or garlic. Only salt.)

LubavitchLeah

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 6:04 pm
wow, such balabusters on here. YYE THANKS!!!
Will try it with lemon juice , sugar and no spices. (you think without the spices will still be ok?

That ketchup recipe would be great to have too.
Appreciate all the feedback. Im copying out some stuff here. I get anxious as Pesach gets closer, feels like ill never ever get there.

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 6:13 pm
Gosh you people are really starting to scare me, I thought nothing about Pesach especially the food.

Again the only suggestion I can give is making your own ketchup by boiling down tomatos and adding sugar, lemon juice and salt to it.

For my brisket for Pesach I usually add wine and fry some onions and put some salt with it. saying that, that seems to be my general and only ingredience that I use. Wink Oh yes and lemons and orange juice. Don't we all love Pesach food.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:21 am
Ketchup recipe:
tomato sauce (about 800 grams)
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 c vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (I just used mustard)
1 1/4 t cinammon
1 1/4 t salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper (I used black pepper)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (experiment with the sugar, 1 1/2 cups is alot).

basically you just mix it all, this recipe doesn't call for boiling it but most do and I think it comes out better if you boil it for a bit. then I cleaned out old ketchup bottles and made a funnel with a baking sheet and filled them up. anyways, you can cut out or add whatever you want, since you'll be cooking with it and not eating it straight up with your macaroni.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics