Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School for learning disabled child

themom

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 12:20 am
I am a P-3 provider working in a boys yeshiva. One of my pre-1a students is severely learning disabled and has multiple overall delays. He is not learning to read in a mainstream classroom and really needs a good special ed setting. Problem is, all Jewish special ed schools that I know of are quite expensive. This child comes from a very large family and his parents cannot afford a special ed tuition. Anyone know of any special ed programs in the NYC/Brooklyn area that are affordable? Any ideas of a good school for a really sweet child who is extremely well-behaved, albeit a bit slow?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 12:24 am
can the parents go back to the IEP team and ask for placement in a more appropriate school? If public school doesn't have an appropriate placement for his needs they'll have to provide an appropriate placement--- of course it might not be Jewish, but it would meet his educational needs.

themom

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 11:59 pm
I should specify that the parents would only consider a frum school for him. Public school may be free but is not something they would be interested in. They are concerned about his social opportunities also, which makes them a bit wary of special Ed altogether. He is holding his own socially in his mainstream class in yeshiva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics