Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Medical billing questions

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 7:05 pm
Does anyone do medical billing and find that this works as a work from home or set your own hours position? I see lots of medical billing courses advertised and I am curious if these are valuable and help hire-ability or if it is best to learn this in an apprentice type way where you work closely with someone experienced in the field?

I became especially interested in this type of work because I know of a woman who does the billing for several homebirth midwives and this is a niche that interests me. I don't know her well enough to ask for her help though. I also have found myself fighting, appealing, and learning a lot about insurance coverage because we've been through several providers as a family and while I don't love the frustration of these issues being personal and the free time they take up I do see how working with medical billing as a career choice would be something I am well suited for.

INSPIREME

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 7:25 pm
I've been in this field for about ten years now. Best way to learn is on the job - course is not worth much. I think it has a lot of potential as a Parnassah though.

infj

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 7:43 pm
Starting its not work from home but after being trained in it could be

mommyof2cuties

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:06 pm
I was actually interested in taking a course for medical billing myself. I asked my pediatrician for an opinion on it and she said that all the billing will have to be computerized by 2017 so there's not many places that will need to hire anymore.

amother

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 9:17 pm
Thank you for your replies.

I think much of medical billing is currently computerized, but unfortunately someone working for a doctor or patient advocacy group still has to put a lot of effort into making sure legitimate claims are paid and not denied. I have found sometimes that my family's claims are denied without thought or effort by the insurance company - almost as a matter of routine like they want to pay as little as possible and only pay what is required after a patient or biller has put significant effort into something the insurance company is being paid to process correctly. I find I often need to provide proof that I followed their pre-approval requirements, that the procedure was covered by our contract, or that legally they are required to pay for the service.

I've also been double billed or incorrectly billed by hospitals and insurance fraud is rampet so I am assuming insurance companies are paying a billing expert to investigate or flag these things.

Am I wrong to think that with or without computers this industry is hiring?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers