Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Maternity Leave/Disability with American Job

Tekky

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 4:40 pm
Hi there,

I am due soon and I work for an American company. Anyone here know the procedure for how to apply so that I'll be able to collect disability for the 6 weeks I'm off (I'm a NJ resident, in case that makes a difference)

Liba

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 4:57 pm
I have never heard of it being law that they pay you, just that they have to keep your job open if there are over a certain number of employees. I never got paid for maternity leave, even when I lived in the US, have things changed?

A lot of things, like unemployment, you have to be a resident of the state you are claiming unemployment from and physically present there.

Google is probably your best friend on this. Maybe things have changed!!

asm712

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 5:13 pm
If you live in Israel and pay Bituach Leumi on your monthly earnings, then yes, you are entitled to paid maternity leave from the government through Bituach Leumi. If you do not pay Bituach Leumi, earn your money in dollars and do not report it in Israel you are not entitled to anything. You need to pay monthly in to the Bituach Leumi system to receive maternity leave compensation back from them.

It is possible to get set up as an atzmaii by an accountant and pay past amounts owed to Bituach Leumi. I recommend meeting with an accountant to find out how much this will all cost you and if it is worth what you will receive in maternity leave payment.

FYI - it is illegal to live in Israel, earn a salary abroad and not report it or pay Bituach Leumi on it. You won't go to jail, but if you try to get any benefits from Bituach Leumi you may be caught and fined.

Good luck.

Liba

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 5:22 pm
I assumed she was trying to collect money from the US government, not BL. You are 100% correct though, she should be paying BL and getting maternity leave paid through the Israeli government. BL doesn't generally pay for 6 weeks, it should be three months...

I wonder how that works when most US companies won't keep the job opening for three months? Can you collect BL for six weeks?

lst

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 5:27 pm
I work for an American company and get paid through a payroll service here. I pay BL, taxes, etc. I get an Israeli paystub. I was entitled to a full maternity leave here (though I didn't take it for other reasons).

greenfire

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 1:17 pm
you have to have an actual disability reason

http://www.disabilitydollarsan.....s.asp

saw50st8

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 2:50 pm
NJ has paid family leave. However, I don't know if you have to actually be in NJ to be able to collect though. Your best bet is to call directly.

Marion

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 4:44 pm
Liba wrote:
I assumed she was trying to collect money from the US government, not BL. You are 100% correct though, she should be paying BL and getting maternity leave paid through the Israeli government. BL doesn't generally pay for 6 weeks, it should be three months...

I wonder how that works when most US companies won't keep the job opening for three months? Can you collect BL for six weeks?

Yes. If you go back to work before the 14 weeks are up you just tell them and they [happily] stop paying you.

theotherone

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 7:58 pm
if you are eligible for FMLA in America (google it to see exact terms), your company legally has to hold your job for 12 weeks though they don't have to pay you.

tizunabi

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 2:28 am
Marion wrote:
Liba wrote:

Yes. If you go back to work before the 14 weeks are up you just tell them and they [happily] stop paying you.

but your husband can take paternity leave from 6 weeks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions