Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
From NYC DOC: measles update
Previous  1  2  3  4

tissues

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:33 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Away from crowds doesn't mean locked up at home. You can go for a stroll and pick up a pack of chicken without necessarily exposing them to anything dangerous. That's what I consider common sense.
Me too.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm annoyed.

I had to give my 2nd son his MMR at 13 months bc a mumps outbreak was going around. 6 months later he developed autism and all the natural geniuses blame it on that. So whenever I'll have another child IYh I'll have to start worrying about giving the MMR again at a year or under and be scared of autism again? ugh.

My son's neurologist recommended pushing of vaccinations as long as possible. She's not a "natural genius", she just doesn't hold by the methods used in the research that debunked the "myth".

In any case, I would think that the recommended measures for early vaccination are of a temporary nature. So iy"H with your next, you hopefully won't have to worry about this.
Thank you for another voice of reason among the hysterical masses.

Was this serious or sarcastic?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm annoyed.

I had to give my 2nd son his MMR at 13 months bc a mumps outbreak was going around. 6 months later he developed autism and all the natural geniuses blame it on that. So whenever I'll have another child IYh I'll have to start worrying about giving the MMR again at a year or under and be scared of autism again? ugh.

My son's neurologist recommended pushing of vaccinations as long as possible. She's not a "natural genius", she just doesn't hold by the methods used in the research that debunked the "myth".

In any case, I would think that the recommended measures for early vaccination are of a temporary nature. So iy"H with your next, you hopefully won't have to worry about this.
Thank you for another voice of reason among the hysterical masses.

Was this serious or sarcastic?

Serious

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 3:49 pm
Well that depends on how long the current measles outbreak continues....

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 7:20 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Your whooping cough example is not a great example, because most adults no longer have immunity from childhood vaccines. For adults, whooping cough is just a bad cough. Adults don't even realize what they have. The problem is when kids get it- then it is more severe.

I know a baby who had whooping cough- caught it from her mother who gave birth while she had it, but the mother didn't realize what kind of cough she had until the baby started turning blue and was diagnosed.

it's not just a "bad cough." an adult friend of my got it--very athletic, very hygienic, lives in the suburbs and is never on the subway--and she was sick for months. the cough can last for months.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 7:44 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My neighbors whole family and their kids don't believe in modern medicine, vaccinations, and doctors. One mom had a miscarriage due to the measles. A few kids had it too including a little toddler. A few newborns who live near them had to get some treatment in the hospital because they were exposed. The mothers were mad. Its not right.

Are you my neighbor??!!? I know the eaxact same sit.

paperclip

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 10:41 am
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:
My neighbors whole family and their kids don't believe in modern medicine, vaccinations, and doctors. One mom had a miscarriage due to the measles. A few kids had it too including a little toddler. A few newborns who live near them had to get some treatment in the hospital because they were exposed. The mothers were mad. Its not right.

She didn't miscarry from the measles, she miscarried from dehydration., But how many woman miscarried from the flu shot and nobody even blinks. Thousands of woman are miscarrying from the flu shot and everyone is talking about 1 woman miscarried, and they believe its from the measles. Its unbelievable, how people are afraid of the viruses Hashem put into the world. Would you be scared if your child has a fever and your doctor says its a virus? but doesn't specify which one? there are so many viruses out there , just because a few of them have a vaccine, we are afraid of these . Fifth disease is a virus that is going around, and looks like a terrible rash , but there is no vaccine so no one is afraid of this virus. Hmm.. sounds interesting.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 11:11 am
chanees wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

She didn't miscarry from the measles, she miscarried from dehydration., But how many woman miscarried from the flu shot and nobody even blinks. Thousands of woman are miscarrying from the flu shot and everyone is talking about 1 woman miscarried, and they believe its from the measles. Its unbelievable, how people are afraid of the viruses Hashem put into the world. Would you be scared if your child has a fever and your doctor says its a virus? but doesn't specify which one? there are so many viruses out there , just because a few of them have a vaccine, we are afraid of these . Fifth disease is a virus that is going around, and looks like a terrible rash , but there is no vaccine so no one is afraid of this virus. Hmm.. sounds interesting.

Actually, that's really not true. My son (just turned 1) had a fever of 105 a few week ago on shabbos. Well actually I didn't take his temp until right after shabbos cuz he slept most of the day. I was terrified. I called the sic and he said bring him in in the morning. I gave him a warm bath with the phone next to me bec I was scare that I might make it too hight and then he might chas v'shalom have a seizure. (Bh he didn't) Anyway, when the sic told me it was just a virus, I was almost in tears- "but what does that mean? Could it be dangerous?" Of course there were no answers and bh by Monday he was fine.
In regards to 5ths disease it's not nothing to worry about. From what I understand its very dangerous for pregnant women, but you don't know you have it until he rash comes out, which means you are exposing others to it before that. What's there to do about it? I don't know, but ya not as simple as you are making it out to be.
One more thing- you mentioned the flu shot. I don't take it and I don't give it to my kids. I have three kids, and none of them have ever had a flu shot. I also don't vaccinate for a few others, and I only do one vaccine at a time.

21young

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 11:18 am
chanees wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

And Chanees is back. Nope, the woman who miscarried due to the measles miscarried due to the measles. You may know a woman who miscarried due to dehydration, but that has no bearing on the one who miscarried due to the measles.

And let's bring on the false information. Thousands miscarry due to the flu shot? I haven't heard of one. Source, please.

paperclip

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 12:14 pm
interesting article regarding vaccines
http://preventdisease.com/news.....shtml

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 12:21 pm
chanees wrote:

There were way too many words in there for me to understand it. If the decline in infectious diseases is not due to vaccination then what is it due too? (A serious question, by the way)

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 12:21 pm
chanees wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

Do not take the bait. Do not take the bait. Do not... Oh well, I've always been a sucker.
1. Most people are pretty private about their miscarriages. I'm not at all convinced you know better than the doctors what caused this one, or that the one you think you know about is the one being cited in the current statistic.
2. I have read about miscarriages associated with the flu shot, and therefore have only taken it either before or after but never during a pregnancy. There are people blinking about it, too, though somehow they have yet to gain traction. But I fail to see how that has any bearing at all on the current conversation.
3. Um, yes G-d puts scary things in the world, including many viruses.
4. Yes, the last two times my children had high fevers, both well before the current measles situation, we worried a whole lot. Once we ended up in the ER and once we almost did but the baby suddenly perked up in urgent care so they didn't send us further. But you better believe they took it seriously. The ones that you can't vaccinate against are in some ways more scary because there's really nothing to do for them. No one is afraid of fifth disease? I beg to differ; I was TERRIFIED when I was pregnant and a kid in my school (not even my class) was sent with a doctor's note that he was exposed to it. I know someone whose baby was born prematurely with serious issues that they suffered from for years due to exposure to fifth disease. The most terrifying part is that it's most contagious before the signature rash, so you would have no way of knowing that you have to stay away. Scary stuff! And that's even with the disease itself being relatively harmless to the one who actually has it. Kal vchomer measles, mumps, and rubella which have dangers (albeit not so common) to live people as well as fetuses.

21young

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 12:52 pm
chanees wrote:

I asked for a source citing that flu vaccines have caused thousands of miscarriages.
1) This articles does not mention the flu vaccine, let alone its relation to pregnancy
2) An article that uses subjective adjectives such as 'brilliant study' blatantly declares itself as anything but brilliant. The first rule of good reporting is to keep the language as objective as possible.
3) Rule of thumb when looking for upstanding, quality sites: A web page that is mostly ads with some text squeezed into the center never bodes well.

Keep trying...

busydev

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 4:44 pm
chanees wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

definitely sounds interesting...

and absolutely ridiculous.

since when arent pregnant women afraid of getting fifths disease? or shingles? im always nervous when my son has a virus. dr almost never says which one- except for a spring virus etc. I had miscarriages. I had a flu shot... (the flu shot was after the miscarriages and before my so far perfectly healthy pregnancy bli ayin hara) please stop spewing your garbage without a source. you are giving a very bad name to all anti vaxers (I am not anti, but just saying, at least many of those on here have solid arguments that I may disagree with, but you have yet to give one solid argument.)

amother

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 5:19 pm
busydev wrote:
you are giving a very bad name to all anti vaxers
this

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 5:26 pm
chanees wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

She didn't miscarry from the measles, she miscarried from dehydration.,
But how many woman miscarried from the flu shot and nobody even blinks. Thousands of woman are miscarrying from the flu shot and everyone is talking about 1 woman miscarried, and they believe its from the measles. Its unbelievable, how people are afraid of the viruses Hashem put into the world. Would you be scared if your child has a fever and your doctor says its a virus? but doesn't specify which one? there are so many viruses out there , just because a few of them have a vaccine, we are afraid of these . Fifth disease is a virus that is going around, and looks like a terrible rash , but there is no vaccine so no one is afraid of this virus. Hmm.. sounds interesting.

I don't whether her miscarriage was from the measles or the dehydration,but the dehydration was a DIRECT casue of the measles, (She was actually in the hospital due to the dehydration..).
So if you want to get nitpicky, you can say the miscarriage wasn't from the measles, but rather was caused by a direct cause of the measles. (Although, I don't know if that was necessarily the situation.)

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 5:27 pm
busydev wrote:
chanees wrote:
chocolate chips wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

definitely sounds interesting...

and absolutely ridiculous.

since when arent pregnant women afraid of getting fifths disease? or shingles? im always nervous when my son has a virus. dr almost never says which one- except for a spring virus etc. I had miscarriages. I had a flu shot... (the flu shot was after the miscarriages and before my so far perfectly healthy pregnancy bli ayin hara) please stop spewing your garbage without a source. you are giving a very bad name to all anti vaxers (I am not anti, but just saying, at least many of those on here have solid arguments that I may disagree with, but you have yet to give one solid argument.)

This and this again.

LALA2

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 10:08 pm
to the pregnant amother- better safe than sorry! who cares if vaccines work or not?! your baby is too precious - stay away!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 6:22 pm
Just wondering: so did we have a full fledged epidemic? how many ppl died from this measles outbreak? was the hysteria justified?

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
Just wondering: so did we have a full fledged epidemic? how many ppl died from this measles outbreak? was the hysteria justified?

Nobody died.
One miscarriage occured.
A bunch of people including myself were quarantined by the DOH until immunity was proven.
This caused a lot of inconvenience. Some of us have jobs, are in school, etc...
I personally missed a very important meeting and am still suffering the consequences because of that.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics