Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Miniature foods for MM
1  2  Next

challi

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:00 pm
I was thinking of making miniatures for my MM. Has anyone ever made them b4 or knows of a way I could get instructions and recipes of how to do it? I looked on google but I don't think they are actually called that since I can't find anything on them. If this isn't what they are called what are they called? Confused (in case you don't know what I'm talking abt they are usually served at fancy simchas on a buffet, are small and hand held nad are really pretty)

Any ideas????

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:04 pm
You mean hors deouvres?
Like franks n' blankets and little potato puffs?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:08 pm
Are you talking about 'petit fours'? (sp?) little pieces of cakes that are decorated separately. They're verry pretty and cute but a big 'patchke' Smile

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:25 pm
you can get mini muffin cups.
but you are describing petit fours as xyz said

challi

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:28 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Are you talking about 'petit fours'? (sp?) little pieces of cakes that are decorated separately. They're verry pretty and cute but a big 'patchke' Smile

I think that's what I'm talking abt embarrassed I know they're patchke but I love doing artistic things like that. Have any ideas abt where to find instuctions/ recipes?

Defygravity, I was actually thinking more along the lines of desserts, but those ideas are good too.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:36 pm
How small are youplanning for them to be? You have to send a kevayis, you know.

challi

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:42 pm
If I do it, Big if, I was planning on making a few diff kinds and putting a few in each persons mm WITH simpler/ larger things too. I dont think it will be a prob.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:52 pm
can you send foods that's eaten hot, that isn'[t hot? it mean, it has to be ready to eat, right?

challi

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:54 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
can you send foods that's eaten hot, that isn'[t hot? it mean, it has to be ready to eat, right?

The petit fours aren't supposed to be eaten hot. Confused I'm not sure I understand your question.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:32 pm
challi wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

The petit fours aren't supposed to be eaten hot. Confused I'm not sure I understand your question.

She was prob. refering to the hors deouvres like frank n blanks.

Anyway about the petit fours, you can google it and get many recipes.

mali

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:38 pm
cream puffs
petit-fours (2-layer cakes, cut with a round cookie cutter and frosted)
cookies
cupcakes
truffles
crispy treats
peanut brittle

challi

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:31 pm
yum mali thanx for all the suggestions. I already made peanutbutter and choc bars, which I'm going to decorate and choc covered pretzels. Those are easy to freeze so I'm making them well in advance. What other things freeze well? I'm already having so much fun! How much in advance can I make the petit fours? Do you have a recipe for the cream puffs? I was also thinking of putting in a drink as well. Any Ideas?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:33 pm
be careful with penuts there are too many allergic kids out there

amother

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:07 pm
for petit fours you can bake a plain flat cake, two of them, and then frost one on top of the other and then take any cookie cutter and cut them into the shape that you want. Afterwards roll out fondant, either colored or white and put it over each miniature. Then you can decorate the top in many ways, for example you can buy already made gum paste shapes like pretty flowers and hearts or you can make your own if you have the fondant tools. It's a shame bec. I bought about $300 worth of fondant tools for this kind of stuff and my husband hates anything fondant so I don't use them. But I took a fondant class, it is fun to work with and so easy once you know how.
Also, there are videos on-line that you can watch that teaches you how to do these things. My friend watched one last year and then made it for mm.

S.Shcwartz

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:54 pm
How about plain old fashioned peanut chews, then cover it with chocolate, and cut them with cookie cutters! They look very pretty and are delicious! You can also do it with a patchke: When chocolate is still hot, melt a diff color chocolate and make a marble design with it. This is how you do it: make lines across one after the other, take a fork right away, and make lines the other way, vertically. The design is gorgeous. Pm me if this wasnt clear enough.

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:19 pm
Mali - I love the double layer cake cut with a round cookie cutter. I'm wondering how to wrap it, since it's frosted.

Squash

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:43 pm
I bought a pan with really miniature bundt cakes - all different shapes (not the cupcake size, the size is more like chocolate truffles). All you do is make a regular cake recipe and then glaze it.

Good luck.

Emuna

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:56 pm
But how do you wrap it?

mali

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 7:09 am
Place them on a plate, and place the plate in the middle of a strip of celophane. Lift both ends of the celophane, and tie them with ribbon or tape. The celophane should end pretty high, so that it doesn't touch the cakes. Tuck in or staple the open sides of the celophane.

Emuna

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:18 pm
Great! Thanks Mali Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics