Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Macintosh anyone?!

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:36 pm
I love my imac and am just curious if a/one else works on a mac (And despises Windows like me.....)LOL

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:42 pm
oooh I love my Mac Smile

Do not understand the draw of a PC

livalittle

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:57 pm
I'm a mac user! I bought it bec. I loved the 20" screen of the imac and the fact that it was all in one piece. I took it for its looks (I likepretty electronics) but I also enjoy its features. Only annoying things is that Ihad invested so much money in windows programs and now they are useless.

cassandra

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 5:19 pm
Here too! We got an imac a few months ago and I love it. It is perfect for the things I use the computer for at home- e-mailing, videos, etc, and it is much easier for my kids to use also. My three year old son has become a computer expert since we got our mac!

When I saw the Vista thread I was thinking of starting a Mac thread. Now that I've switched (and I use a PC at work) I have no idea why anyone would have a PC if they didn't absolutely have to. (our imac can run windows-- does yours?)

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 6:50 pm
because all the yummy software is for windows! I love my buggie windows!

queen

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 7:04 pm
I'm a mac user all the way!!!!!

youngmommy

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 9:19 pm
Mac user and loving it!!!!

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:03 pm
Mac here! I love to eat 'em, I love the technology of 'em.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 10:26 pm
Can someone please explain to me the diff bet. a Mac and the other thing? What's a pc? What's windows got to do with Mac?
I'm so clueless!
Can someone list the pros and cons of each? Confused

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:38 am
I gotta post some hysterical MAC commercials that only 'insiders' will get.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:43 am
Watch some of these http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/[/youtube]

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:27 pm
I'll make a pc users difference list and let a mac user put up her equally "complimentary" list.

1) Even though Windows was very buggy it is getting more stable and has a lot more software. In addition it can be tweaked a lot to suit the user.

2) PCs are modular. Everything in them can be replaced by a child. Its like doing Legos. Repairs almost never need a technician. Parts are dirt cheap.

3) Because it isn't all in one if one part goes the rest of the machine can be used immediately after the guy on the scooter brings you a new part to plug in.

4) You can have any sized screen of any resolution, including huge plasmas that do HD TV if you are into that to something you can hold in your hand, like a cell phone.

5) It does not run macOS, which I find less stable than Windows and always needing patches.

bashinda

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 8:20 pm
actually mac os seems much more stable than windows because it's based on BSD unix and BSD meeans BeSyata D'Shmaya so obviously Apple must be doing something right!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 9:56 am
bashinda wrote:
actually mac os seems much more stable than windows because it's based on BSD unix and BSD meeans BeSyata D'Shmaya so obviously Apple must be doing something right!

So why not use the real thing? I actually enjoy using my Linux OS Smile

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 10:32 am
I used to run linux in the '90s with no gui even. I'm a tad bit rusty now but I used to be conversant in sunos, sco (I worked there in the pre-caldera years) and what can I say? I'm listening to my artsy fartsy side and I like the Mac now. It's just yummy to use.

For instance I was able to make a calendar of my trips with little effort on my part using my datebook and my photo management software. Given that I don't have time to do this on my own I throughly enjoyed it. I like that using a mac has put me more in touch with my creative side. Using linux put me in touch with my creative programmer side I suppose but I found that I'm not much of a programmer as a result!

Linux is a great option but it's no longer for me.

Btw, someone really thought (a non Jew) that when I put BS"D at the top of my mail that it stood for Berkeley Standard Distribution.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 10:38 am
btw, dh is the real geek of the family & he agrees with you about linux.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 10:57 am
bashinda wrote:
I used to run linux in the '90s with no gui even. I'm a tad bit rusty now but I used to be conversant in sunos, sco (I worked there in the pre-caldera years) and what can I say? I'm listening to my artsy fartsy side and I like the Mac now. It's just yummy to use.

For instance I was able to make a calendar of my trips with little effort on my part using my datebook and my photo management software. Given that I don't have time to do this on my own I throughly enjoyed it. I like that using a mac has put me more in touch with my creative side. Using linux put me in touch with my creative programmer side I suppose but I found that I'm not much of a programmer as a result!

Linux is a great option but it's no longer for me.

Btw, someone really thought (a non Jew) that when I put BS"D at the top of my mail that it stood for Berkeley Standard Distribution.

Lol.

Now, Linux is supported by enough diverse software to do what you want. There are some really cool programs out there besides the typical image editors and openoffice package. I find it's very convenient to install whatever I want -- for free Wink --and my KDE is a great GUI.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 11:25 am
I'm sure Linux has programs (ironically, this is the excuse most people use why they prefer windows over mac!) but I like my mac and it's a good fit for me. It has the aesthetic appeal (I think the only thing I would like from a Linux windowing environment is virtual windows) and it's a good fit. It's a good ratio of appealing design and geekiness that fits me. I'm geeky enough that if OS X starts acting weird (a few times it wouldn't let me delete a file saying it's "in use") I just whip out terminal and sudo as root and kill -9 to my heart's delight, but it's got

I'll leave Linux for people like you and my DH
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics