Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools in Lakewood

amother

Post Mon, May 27 2013, 11:54 pm
We are moving to Lakewood possibly. I am so overwhelmed by this news and don't know what to do first but I told dh he can't accept the job until we have a school for the kids. My sister in law lives there and I've heard my fair share. My daughters are 1st grade, 3rd grade and 4th grade. My boys have a yeshiva to go to (related to husband's job)

Our girls are currently in BY of BP and Vien (my oldest two are in BY and youngest in Vien) we consider ourselves 'heimish' but my side is all litvish and I'm a BY girl through and through. Can you tell me what you like about your daughter's elementary school and how it would compare 'type wise' to BY?

thx for all your help!

amother

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 12:00 am
What type of boys school are you looking at and I'll tell you the comparable?

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 12:50 am
Just curious. I'm a BT, know nothing about lakewood, consider myself modern Orthodox because I use the internet and watch tv and my husband says that nobody in our neighborhood would consider me modern Orthodox because he wears a black hat and learns kollel dirshu--- clearly I'm clueless about all the labelling. Smile ....

what does it mean that you consider yourselves "heimish"? In our neighborhood, they refer to "the heimish block" as the block that the frummies live on. The "heimish" grocery store is the kosher store as opposed to the regular grocery store. So...... EVERYONE on imamother isn't "heimish"? I just wonder what it means. Thanks.

I'm sure you'll get answers here.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 2:15 am
OP....as I an numerous other posters have said on these types of threads it's irrelevant what the school is like unless you have a signed guarantee they will take your child in
Unless you are very wealthy or have a lot of pull, the odds are that the school you are least interested in will be the one that accepts you if any do.
That's ths facts Sad.

lkwdmommy

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 2:14 pm
It seems that your DH will be working/teaching in a boy's school. Some boy schools have parallel girl schools, or they have an understanding with a girls school. Maybe talk to the school your DH will be working for and see if they can help you. Then, at least you have a starting point and you can see if that school would work for you.

There are a number of schools that you might fit into. Some are mixed crowd, but leaning more towards heimish and others are mixed with many heimish but leaning more towards BY/litvish. Hard to know which kind you go for. If you know people in Lakewood, maybe discuss it directly with them.

P.S. - Notwithstanding all the kvetches and L"H you read about Lakewood here and other places, it's a really nice place to live!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 3:14 pm
P.S. - Notwithstanding all the kvetches and L"H you read about Lakewood here and other places, it's a really nice place to live!

Even with severe diabetes and heart disease, eating a tub of ice cream and ten chocolate bars is geshmack!! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics