Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to prevent clumps of powder detergent after wash?

Mevater

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:38 am
Often I end up with unused clumps of this powder on laundered items, after the wash is complete (powder never dissolved). I have a Maytag stackable Washer /Dryer.

What's the solution?

dr pepper

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:47 am
use less detergent? also, do you add the detergent to the water first, and then add the clothes? if not, try that.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:59 am
use liquid detergent?

mannyzmom

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:23 pm
momof3 wrote:
use liquid detergent?

exactly what I was going to say. thats what I did bc I couldn take it anymore.

happymom

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:32 pm
first put the powder, then the WATER, then the clothes. or at least some water so the powder gets dissolved!

Ima'la

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:36 pm
Liquid detergent is intended for machines where you put the detergent directly into the machine and powder is meant for machines that have a separate compartment for adding detergent.

However, in E"Y, liquid detergent is not always available (and when it is, it's often expensive). Letting the detergent dissolve in the water before adding the clothes helps, as previously suggested. But cold water does not always dissolve the detergent well, so if I'm doing a cold water wash, I dissolve the powder in hot water in a netilas yadayim cup before adding it to the machine.

When all else fails, after the fact, try an extra rinse!

su7kids

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 1:28 pm
I would strongly suggest using less detergent, and maybe dissolving it hot water first.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 3:55 pm
is it a front loader? for that, you have to use special HE stuff.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 3:59 pm
Actually I just use liquid for the more delicate wash - dd uniform or shabbos clothes. You need to put the powder in while the water is running - mix a little if needed - then add the clothes.

withhumor

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 5:13 pm
Supposedly they advertise the powders to work in all temperatures but it really only dissolves well in warm or hot water. It’s important to put the powder in first and wait until it fills about ¼ before adding the clothes. If you use it in cold water, then put less than normal clothes into the washer. Also, in the middle of the cycle, open the machine and rearrange the clothing so that it shifts throughout the wash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry