Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
NICU BIKUR CHOLIM

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 3:23 pm
Has anyone had a preemie in bikur cholim... chizzuk needed!
I am anticipating it and am only at 30 weeks.

What can I expect? how is it? is 30 weeks to early?!

jerusalem-girl

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 3:27 pm
30 weeks is too early. Anything before 37 weeks is. What does anticipating mean? What does your doctor say?

I had a good experience in Bikur Cholim's NICU, but I don't think it's from the best in the country. I wouldn't have planned on having a baby there if I knew he would need some help. (b"h, just a minor incident, and all is well now).

Laniado's NICU is supposed to be excellent, and I've heard of people travelling there because of premature labor or complications.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 3:32 pm
my cervix is extremely short and my doctor is anticipating labor at any moment. I have had the steriod shot and am on strict bedrest in hospital. its tough, and I know 30 weeks is too early, but I have heard its better then earlier... etc.

Liba

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 3:36 pm
Bshaa tova!! I hope you are able to gestate longer and your baby is doing well once it is born.

Are you talking about Bikur Cholim hospital in Yerushalayim?

Unless things have changed since I looked into it last, they don't have a high enough level NICU to support a preemie who needs high level care. The two options in Yerushalayim for early or sick preemies are Shaarei Tzedek or Hadasah Har Hatzofim (which I do not recommend, from personal experience).

If you do end up delivering early I have a preemie gemach, lots of little clothing, books on preemies and some chizzuk.

Liba

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 3:41 pm
I would insist on being transferred to Shaarei Tzedek now. The two hospitals are owned and work as one. If you get transferred now you are less likely to be separated from your baby after delivery if your baby has to be transferred without you chv"sh. Transfer is also really really hard on an medically unstable new little preemie.

Please ask about the risks of transfer if the baby is chv"sh born at this point and what the other options are. Find out what level NICU they have in Bikur Cholim and found out under what circumstances they have to transfer. Can they keep a baby there who has to be ventilated and will likely need ventilation more than 24 hours?

Ask to speak to one of the doctors in the NICU now.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 03 2013, 3:56 pm
I think things have changed... I was sent by my dr for the NICu here. ill def ask though.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 8:12 am
Amother how are you doing?

I agree get to Sharie Tzedik if possible. We had a good experience all around with the NICU there.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 10:10 am
BH same as before.

I went down to the NICU today, and aparently the staff ratio and a few other things are better at BC. What specific reasons would you recommend their nicu over BC (also know staff is the same as ST)

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 10:20 am
Amother, just make sure they are the same level. NICUs are divided by level, and you want the child at the highest level if you are 30 weeks. If BC can handle it, great. Things might have changed since they are not a part of sharie tzedik. My twins were in the NICU in sharei tzedik but that was 9 years ago and my information is not exactly current.

B sha tova!

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jun 04 2013, 10:22 am
The other thing to do is check into the visiting policy. It is probably the same as ST (24/7) but do check. I got a nasty surprise at HEK when I was locked out between 8 & 12 daily :-(

karen berzon

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 8:12 am
My son was born in bikur cholim - 26 weeks. He was in the NICU for four and a half months. The care was SUPERB. He developed many different issues as time went on and the staff was incredible shlichim to keep him alive. You are in the best of hands. We are still in touch with the staff. We stop by there with our son from time to time. Dr. Gur, the head of the NICU is amazing and he has set up a wonderful, caring and professional staff.

Liba

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 8:24 am
karen berzon wrote:
My son was born in bikur cholim - 26 weeks. He was in the NICU for four and a half months. The care was SUPERB. He developed many different issues as time went on and the staff was incredible shlichim to keep him alive. You are in the best of hands. We are still in touch with the staff. We stop by there with our son from time to time. Dr. Gur, the head of the NICU is amazing and he has set up a wonderful, caring and professional staff.

I am sorry your son had such a tough start but glad the care was so good!

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jun 05 2013, 9:01 am
OP, I can't speak to the choice of hospitals but while the issues are obviously more complicated for a 30-weeks baby, there are so many advances in medical support that the baby will be in my h better hands than even a couple of years ago. You'll need strength then for visits and to lend your baby your strength. Focus on what you know you can offer --and get the best medical care you can for you both.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics