Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does health benefits justify work?
1  2  Next

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 11:57 am
Hello everyone,
I have a 4 month old baby...I had been planning on staying home with her... However, my husband's job, which pays decently does not offer health benefits! I have been COBRAing a student health plan that got me maternity coverage for this baby, but that is running out soon. I am thinking about going back to work pretty much just for the benefits since childcare will probably eat up about 1/3 of my salary.
Worth it? I know someone now that could babysit for me until DD is a year old and then I could put her in day care. We have some excellent day cares in my area.
What do you all think?

dr pepper

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:10 pm
Health insurance is one of the most important things you can have for your family. If it's a matter of being uninsured or working, I would definitely go back to work. But make sure you explore all your options first, ie state health plans, private insurance, part-time work, etc.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:11 pm
Having a similar experience these past two years of not having proper health insurance with 2 pregnancies, and also not having options for dh to get some, I think it is seriously worth considering. It's one of the major reasons I'm also trying to go back to work a few mos after #2. IT's a hard decision, but after talking to some mentors, we need the parnossah/insurance. I also can't buy private health insurance to cover maternity bc it's considered a pre-existing condition here....Yeah, I feel dreadful about not being able to stay at home more, but my children need to have parents out of debt and the necessities. IYH dh will only be out of the house part time at first.

withhumor

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:22 pm
You should check the insurance plans in your state and find out what they cover. Then, when your job offer will tell you which plan they will give, you will know if it’s worth it. so far in NY none of the plans cover dental or vision so basically you’re on your own if your tooth hurts… and that’s’ because we have ‘fancy group coverage’. It’s a sham, it’s such a disappointment!

What’s worse, if you want to upgrade your plan to a dental add-on, you can only get it if the office group has it, you can’t add it yourself!

Make sure you know what they cover before jumping in.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:24 pm
I don't think its a matter of wants in this situation, I think you NEED medical insurance. You can't really live without it in the states, right? We are talking about matters of life and death, right?
So if there is no option for you to be home with your baby and still get medical insurance, then what are you supposed to do?
You could move to Canada and enjoy our universal medical benefits!

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:26 pm
I checked into private plans and they are HORRIBLE~!
First of all, if you are overweight, like my husband and I, you may not qualify. Also, in terms of maternity coverage, it is REALLY expensive and you need to be on the plan for like 2 years before it kicks in...I cannot say right now that I want to wait 2 years before even trying to get pregnant again. And of course there is the pre-existing condition limitations, so none of the prescriptions that my husband and I currently take would be covered. Just seems like a bad deal.
I don't live in NY, but a lot of the jobs I am looking at offer medical, dental, and vision.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:59 pm
I think being with your baby until AT LEAST a year is more importnat.

shayna82

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 1:01 pm
more important then what?? if the baby gets sick with even a plain flu or ear infection, do you know how much out of pocket expenses she will have ot pay, not to mention meds???

happyone

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 1:24 pm
Health insurance can run you between 10-20k a year... It's a big decision to quit a job that offers benefits.
Good luck with your decision.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 2:25 pm
shayna82 wrote:
more important then what?? if the baby gets sick with even a plain flu or ear infection, do you know how much out of pocket expenses she will have ot pay, not to mention meds???

Or CHV"S something worse....

I know someone whose insurance company just paid for life saving surgery that costs over $150,000.
Can anyone afford that out of pocket?

Hannah!

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 6:49 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 23 2007, 12:21 pm
depends. what kind of care will you have otherwise? you can't have nothing.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 9:54 pm
only1 wrote:
I don't think its a matter of wants in this situation, I think you NEED medical insurance. You can't really live without it in the states, right? We are talking about matters of life and death, right?

wrong

Quote:
The percentage of the nation’s population without health insurance coverage remained stable, at 15.7 percent in 2004. The number of people with health insurance increased by 2.0 million to 245.3 million between 2003 and 2004, and the number without such coverage rose by 800,000 to 45.8 million.

Definitely not a matter of life and death! Millions live without it or get govt. care. Thank G-d, millions of people without medical insurance are not dying in the streets!

shayna82 wrote:
if the baby gets sick with even a plain flu or ear infection, do you know how much out of pocket expenses she will have ot pay, not to mention meds???

Her health benefits won't be for free! She'll be working for them and paying for child care. Paying for a plain dr. visit and med. is a whole lot cheaper than paying for health insurance!

It's a hard decision shosh, with a 4 month old baby who you planned on staying home with Sad

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 9:58 pm
Insurance isn't for routine care . . insurance is for an emergency lo oleinu! If you G-fabid have an acident or real problem, you'll be wiped out.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 10:52 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Insurance isn't for routine care . . insurance is for an emergency lo oleinu! If you G-fabid have an acident or real problem, you'll be wiped out.

So that's the question - does she give up caring for her baby, something she counted on, and work for medical benefits just in case something awful happens?

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 5:35 am
Does she live with a 4 month old whom she won't take to the doctor unless it's a life and death situation because she can't afford the doctor bills?

My sister has been working for the past 23 years, through 8 children, ka"h, just for the medical benefits.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
only1 wrote:

wrong

Quote:
The percentage of the nation’s population without health insurance coverage remained stable, at 15.7 percent in 2004. The number of people with health insurance increased by 2.0 million to 245.3 million between 2003 and 2004, and the number without such coverage rose by 800,000 to 45.8 million.

Definitely not a matter of life and death! Millions live without it or get govt. care. Thank G-d, millions of people without medical insurance are not dying in the streets!

shayna82 wrote:
if the baby gets sick with even a plain flu or ear infection, do you know how much out of pocket expenses she will have ot pay, not to mention meds???

Her health benefits won't be for free! She'll be working for them and paying for child care. Paying for a plain dr. visit and med. is a whole lot cheaper than paying for health insurance!

It's a hard decision shosh, with a 4 month old baby who you planned on staying home with Sad

Wow, honestly I never thought there could be a debate whether one needs medical insurance or not. I guess I could expect nothing less from amother.
I'm sorry to say, amother, that you do not get health insurance so you can afford a bottle of antibiotics every once in a while. That is the least of it. I'm not sure what world you live in, but in the world I live in, there are serious diseases out there, not to mention, THE MACHLA. - and everyone and anyone is susceptible.
I know so many people who needed life saving surgery, all in the past 2 years. It's scary. Each of those surgeries probably cost tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket had they not had insurance.
All I have to say amother, is GOOD LUCK!

mumsy23

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 1:35 pm
only1 wrote:
amother wrote:
only1 wrote:

wrong

Quote:

shayna82 wrote:

Wow, honestly I never thought there could be a debate whether one needs medical insurance or not. I guess I could expect nothing less from amother.
I'm sorry to say, amother, that you do not get health insurance so you can afford a bottle of antibiotics every once in a while. That is the least of it. I'm not sure what world you live in, but in the world I live in, there are serious diseases out there, not to mention, THE MACHLA. - and everyone and anyone is susceptible.
I know so many people who needed life saving surgery, all in the past 2 years. It's scary. Each of those surgeries probably cost tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket had they not had insurance.
All I have to say amother, is GOOD LUCK!

I am bewildered at the thought of someone condoning living without health insurance.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 2:24 pm
Even before ch"v considering all the bad things that could happen, what about the good things: maternity and neonatal care is EXPENSIVE! Just the routine tests and delivery and first year or two of checkups for the baby can cost thousands, and that's not including ch"v c-sections or complications! If dh can't get the benefits, the choices are live a welfare life or try to get benefits yourself. Furthermore, if dh works enough that gov't help or state sponsored reduced rates are not possible, what should you do? He lies about income and steals, he gets crummier job so you will qualify, or you try to get benefits through your own job? I think of the three the last what I would try to do. There's a huge middle ground in income where you can't get gov't help and yet can't do it without both people working.

I don't know about the other mothers in the US, but even in NJ, the prenatal clinics are overcrowded and staffed by largely incompetent med students or residents--and you only have 1 option in yoru area for prenatal care--the hospital clinic. It's really really horrible. Furthermore, the only other way to get maternity coverage if there's been a gap in insurance coverage is to get group insurance--through a job, not privately! The stateI'm originally from doesn't even have so much state sponsored help, so I know it's even worse out of the tri state area.

Everyone needs health insurance, IMHO, kal v'chomer women in their child bearing years and children. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 3:06 pm
I also thought I'd be a stay at home mom! It was a rude awakening when I woke up ojne day and we had no money left!

It cost gelt to live in this world. I always carried our health insurance and I almost always worked full time!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics