Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Legally changing the baby's name

3mitzvos

Post Thu, Jun 06 2013, 11:13 pm
Has anyone given in the birth certificate form in the hospital after giving birth and then decided to change the name? My daughter was born a couple days ago and we signed the birth certificate form with a certain name. Today we decided that we want to name the baby a different name. Any ideas about how to go about changing the baby's legal name? (the name would have to be changed on the birth certificate, social security card, and insurance card)

smilingmom

Post Fri, Jun 07 2013, 12:06 am
If you live in NYS go to
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/.....shtml
It costs 65 dollars and all the forms are free online.
You will have to go to court to finish the process.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 8:11 pm
My parents did it 6 weeks after my brother was registered 2 days before his brit! Call the council office

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 8:25 pm
I just did it for my baby, and it's actually a long and annoying process! We had to go down to the courts 3 times till we got it right and that was just to change his name. Then we had to change the social security card (that part was easy) and the birth certificate.

My advice is do it fast before you start putting her name down on different records. Also, talk to your hospital, they may have some program to help with it.

One last thing, is this a complete name change, or change of spelling or adding a name. If its spelling/addition, do it fast before 30 days, the process is way way simpler and I think free.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 8:50 pm
What about changing the spelling after 30 days? Is it just as hard as changing the name altogether?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 9:03 pm
If I remember correctly, you could do a spelling change on the birth certificate up to 12 months through the hospital. But then you would have to take care of all the other documents, such as social security cards, by yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics