Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is there any way to get out of an ebay sale?

smss

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:45 am
I won an auction on ebay for something and emailed the seller to tell him that ebay is calculating the international shipping as $25, but I will be sending the item to a U.S. address, so can he please recalculate the shipping for me. he wrote back that the $25 is U.S. shipping... I really don't want to pay that much. is there any way to get out of this now???

fiddle

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:24 am
message him, say you made a mistake and you apologize but dont want the item, can he please relist it. if hes an avid user, and has many positive ratings he will do it no problem. make sure you give him a positive review, and mention that to him.

Marion

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 12:54 pm
Probably not. Technically you're supposed to check the shipping BEFORE you bid. You can ask him to be nice about it, but don't necessarily count on it.

SJcookie

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:03 pm
Well, there is a way, but it's not the nicest thing to do. Just don't pay. You'll only receive a warning from ebay and probably a negative review from the seller, but it won't affect your account because ebay will only delete your account if you haven't paid for something like 3 transactions within a year. And if you have many other positive reviews, then that one negative review won't impact much.

I once had to do this several years ago because I purchased a watch, and for some reason, the paypal transaction wasn't going through. I contacted the seller, and she said that she's been having some issues with paypal and would like my credit card info instead. Being that my CC info is private, I said no way. Well, she reported me and gave me a negative review, but what's one negative review next to over 100 positive reviews?

aniri

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:04 pm
One I had a buyer on eBay who bought an item from me but never paid. I tried to open a case on eBay but nothing really happen. I had to relist an item

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 1:28 pm
Email the seller and nicely ask to cancel the transaction.

There is one more thing I should add as someone who sells on ebay all the time... check out usps.com or the postal service website from wherever your seller is shipping from. Sometimes, a shipping price might sound high, but it's just the real price that the postal service charges and there is nothing a seller can do about it. If you know that you can get your item shipped to you somewhere else for cheaper, then cancelling the sale is the smart thing to do. If this is something that you want to buy, you should investigate the shipping costs involved... your idea of what a reasonable shipping cost is might not be in line with the reality of the situation.

smss

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:00 pm
ewa-jo wrote:
Email the seller and nicely ask to cancel the transaction.

There is one more thing I should add as someone who sells on ebay all the time... check out usps.com or the postal service website from wherever your seller is shipping from. Sometimes, a shipping price might sound high, but it's just the real price that the postal service charges and there is nothing a seller can do about it. If you know that you can get your item shipped to you somewhere else for cheaper, then cancelling the sale is the smart thing to do. If this is something that you want to buy, you should investigate the shipping costs involved... your idea of what a reasonable shipping cost is might not be in line with the reality of the situation.

thanks, everyone. I emailed him and will see what he says...

ewa-jo, I tried checking usps.com before emailing him. I don't know the dimensions of the box so I couldn't get a price quote from there. the item weighs 15 lbs, he's charging $25 for domestic shipping. I really don't know prices to be able to say, but it sounds very steep to me....

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:09 pm
Whenever you buy on ebay, it says clearly that buying is a legal transaction and you are committing to buy.
Although you can "not pay" IMO it is dishonest.
The way to work things out is try communicating with the seller and see if he is open to letting you cancel.

Also, $25 doesn't sound so exaggerated for a 15 lb box.
It could be you can ask him to use a cheaper service but that is probably relatively standard.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:16 pm
$25 sounds reasonable for a 15pound package.... unless maybe it's something very small that could fit into a small or medium flat-rate box.

If you had it shipped to Israel, it would be more like $80

I think the big question is 'can you get this item elsewhere?" If you could buy it from some big-box website that gives $5 shipping or free domestic shipping, then great. I dunno, you might actually have the best deal all around by buying it on ebay.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:16 pm
smss wrote:

ewa-jo, I tried checking usps.com before emailing him. I don't know the dimensions of the box so I couldn't get a price quote from there. the item weighs 15 lbs, he's charging $25 for domestic shipping. I really don't know prices to be able to say, but it sounds very steep to me....

I also sell on ebay Smile

With ebay's discount, usps charges $23 for cheapest method of sending a 15lb item. Ebay charges a 13% fee on shipping costs. After ebay fees, the seller is not making any $ on shipping.
Is it a small item? Can it fit into a priority mail flat rate?

smss

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
smss wrote:

I also sell on ebay Smile

With ebay's discount, usps charges $23 for cheapest method of sending a 15lb item. Ebay charges a 13% fee on shipping costs. After ebay fees, the seller is not making any $ on shipping.
Is it a small item? Can it fit into a priority mail flat rate?

wow! I'm really surprised - I guess I'm just used to amazon free shipping ;-)
it's not small, so I guess the shipping really is pretty reasonable then...

it's not something I really need, that's the truth, I kind of bought it impulsively and felt silly afterward, and now feel even sillier paying an extra $25 on top of what I already feel like I wasted.... Sad
well, I'll see what he says...

Skippy!!

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 7:35 pm
I had 2 incidents where buyer's asked me to cancel their purchase and I agreed to do it for them. Lately, I bid on an item and only realized it was the wrong size after I won it. I contacted the seller and she cancelled the transaction for me.

srbmom

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 7:46 pm
as a seller on ebay, I'd much rather have the buyer ask me to cancel the sale than have them not pay for it. An unpaid item is a big annoyance to the seller. Just be honest and most sellers will accommodate you.

spring13

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 9:38 pm
Just going to echo the others, as an ebay seller - don't just not pay. Send a message asking nicely if you can return the item or cancel the transaction. Just not paying is obnoxious, and forces the seller to open an unpaid item case against you, which can mess up your ratings as a buyer and is generally a waste of time. Cancelling the transaction/refunding money isn't a big deal as long as you get in touch before the item ships.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 9:48 pm
I had that once where the item was just not what I had wanted and had already bid on it by mistake. I won it(of course) and emailed the seller gently with an explanation. He was very kind and agreed to let it go. I did give him a good rating. I also got an email once that the person that won something that I bid on changed her mind and if I am still interested in that item. I guess it's not that uncommon. Let us know what the sellers response is.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 09 2013, 10:47 pm
I once did an impulse bid on an item a second prior to closing. I won the item and regretted the impulse purchase.
I emailed the seller, explained that it was an impulse bid, that I don't generally engage in impulse bids, said I regret it, and asked if it would be possible to re-list the item. I offered to pay the re-listing fee.
I think when you communicate human-to-human one is more likely to be met with a satisfactory outcome.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 12:14 am
The seller cannot leave negative feedback for you if you don't pay. I have a 100% positive rating and didn't pay twice. Once it was because of the confusion about the price in british pounds and the other was a best offer that I had not realized was accepted and by then I had purchased it elsewhere. I asked very nicely of both sellers to please cancel and both ignored me. They didn't want to lose their fees that they have to pay Ebay so they wouldn't cancel. The first cancellation did not affect me at all. The second has only affected me in that I cannot make best offers to certain sellers who have blocked buyers with two or more unpaid transactions. Fortunately this will only stay on my record for a few more months (It only counts against you if it's twice within a year). I have heard that going to 3 unpaid transactions though, may cause Ebay to cancel your account or severely limit it so I hope it doesn't come to that again. I have no trouble with not paying if there's a legitimate reason for doing so and you have communicated that to the seller. The worst is a seller who refused to sell to me because she didn't like what a great deal I got with my winning bid. That was her fault for not listing it at a higher price not mine. I even offered to pay her more but she refused to negotiate so I left negative feedback which really brought down her rating. I felt it was important to do so, to warn other people that she will not honor a winning bid if it doesn't suit her.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 8:56 am
(There is no such thing as free shipping. The shipping costs are built into the pricing. Delivery people have to eat too. Free shipping is a harmless pleasant fantasy.)

Liba

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 9:03 am
When I pay $2.73 for a book off of Amazon, which has a list price of $3.99 and get free two day shipping, it is free. Amazon is certainly paying, but I am not.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 10 2013, 9:22 am
As an eBay seller I will tell you that I have never lost money on fees because of a cancelled transaction, especially before payment. I did have one time where the buyer paid and then asked for the transaction to be cancelled (wife thought it was a stroller, husband realized it was a stroller cover!) and the refund discrepancy to my account is several cents off, but it is worth it for my reputation to absorb that cost.

I much prefer that to chasing down non-paying buyers where I have no idea if I will ever get paid, if I should offer a second chance, if I should relist.

Opening a case eventually helps, but I can't leave feedback. I have a suspicion that someone who won an auction of mine either got severely sick/injured or worse because she had 100% positive feedback and all of a sudden right around when she won my auction there was a lot of feedback for her as a seller not answering emails or shipping out items, etc. I think she just couldn't pay and not that she did not want to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics