Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to handle very shy kid

newmommy1

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 10:52 am
My ds3 is very shy. It takes him time to warm up and feel comfortable in a situation. He plays well with other children but is especially shy around adults. Sometimes we get into awkward situations where he won't respond to adults, ie, when someone at shul offers him a lollipop, he'll put his head down and turn away from the person (and I'm right there) or a parent of one of the other kids in his class says hello to him and ds won't respond. Should we, as parents, say something to the effect of "DS is shy" or should we answer for him as in "Thank you for the lollipop" or "Good Morning". I don't want to embarrass my son or make him feel that there's something wrong. I'm just not sure what's the best way to handle this. Any advice/experience welcome

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Jun 11 2013, 10:59 am
My daughter (5) is the same way, though she used to be much more shy and is slowly coming out of it - by the way, I'd prefer a child who's shy to one who talks to everybody! I used to tell people she's shy but I think it was a mistake because now she uses it as an excuse when she's feeling antisocial - "I don't want to talk to them because I'm shy." I would answer for him when appropriate or try to engage him in conversation with yourself in front of the other person, just to help get him used to such situations. He'll probably outgrow this phase in a couple years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers