Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What English textbook/workbook does your 9th grade daughter
1  2  Next

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 7:09 am
My daugher is entering high school in Israel. She will be the only student in the entire (very small) school who in on her level in English.

I'd be happy to order materials on her level. They need to be appropriate for a Beit Yaakov type school.

In the past, when there was no English class on one of my children's level, I created my own curriculum. I could do that, but my daughter is interested in a standard published workbook that other kids use.

A fun book would be appreciated!

She is more or less on grade level.

morah

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 7:38 am
Artscroll has an excellent literature textbook specifically designed for bais Yaakov type school. I can find out for you what it's called. It has lots of short stories and poems all screened to fit BY standards.

morah

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 7:49 am
Also, forum schools in 9th grade: Dickens is typical (I'm personally not a fan, lol), 12 Angry Men (this would require some background info on the American justice system), I personally love Catcher in the Rye, though I don't think that would be acceptable for a BY girl. Possibly Of Mice and Men, though its been awhile since I read that, so you'd want to look it over for yourself.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 7:51 am
morah wrote:
Artscroll has an excellent literature textbook specifically designed for bais Yaakov type school. I can find out for you what it's called. It has lots of short stories and poems all screened to fit BY standards.

Is that the one with two Ruchoma Shain stories? One of my daughters used that one in her Bnei Brak high school, which had a class for English speakers on a pretty high level.

Is it still in print? I can't find it online. I may have it somewhere in the house.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 7:57 am
morah wrote:
Also, forum schools in 9th grade: Dickens is typical (I'm personally not a fan, lol), 12 Angry Men (this would require some background info on the American justice system), I personally love Catcher in the Rye, though I don't think that would be acceptable for a BY girl. Possibly Of Mice and Men, though its been awhile since I read that, so you'd want to look it over for yourself.

These might be questionable to the school (but fine with me personally for teens).

I have created a curriculum with essay questions, vocabulary words and spelling words using Permission to Believe by Lawrence Kelemen, and Footprints in the Sand by Bracha Goykadosh. If need be, I can do this with another frum book.

Now I'm looking for an already existing workbook.

morah

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:07 am
I don't teach in a BY, but the artscroll book is specifically things you'd read in a typical American high school that are deemed completely appropriate for BY. They may have some frum writers too, not sure. It may be you can't find it because you get it through school curriculum oriented websites. I don't think you can get it on artscroll.com.

morah

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:10 am
The vocab workbook I use is called Classical Roots. It doesn't just teach words, it explains the Greek/Latin roots too. I'm thinking it would be really good for a native Hebrew speaker who is used to thinking in terms of shorashim.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:10 am
Look into Mosdos Press:

http://www.mosdospress.com/

Specifically designed for BY, but with quality content.

morah

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:13 am
HappytoHS wrote:
Look into Mosdos Press:

That's it! That's the artscroll book I was talking about. Mosdos is their education subsidiary.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:22 am
HappytoHS wrote:
Look into Mosdos Press:

This looks to be high quality. Expensive, but Amazon lists secondhand sellers too.

The problem is that without the ability to "look inside" there is no way for me to know whether my Israeli 9th grader needs the unit designed for 6th grade, 7th grade, 8th grade or if she is beyond that.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:28 am
You can see samples of each book. Click on any level book and in the bottom-right quadrant of the page you will see, in tiny letters: "Sample Selections from the Student Edition." Click on those.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:38 am
HappytoHS wrote:
You can see samples of each book. Click on any level book and in the bottom-right quadrant of the page you will see, in tiny letters: "Sample Selections from the Student Edition." Click on those.

Trying that right now!

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 8:54 am
6th grade level too low so far, and a little boring.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:07 am
It's like this. The 8th grade level isn't far off, but it's not that engaging.

My daughter doesn't know all the sophisticated words, but she can figure them out from the context.

This is basically just busy work.

Maybe I'll build a curriculum based on the series that appeared in Hamodia, This Is America, about a teenage girl whose family immigrated, and their struggles with keeping Yiddishkeit. Was that published yet? I'm going to check.

HappytoHS

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 9:43 am
It's a literature curriculum. There is some high level literary analysis, writing skills, and lots of critical thinking skills (inferencing, deductive reasoning). Not busy work at all.

If your daughter is a creative writer, look into Wordsmith (2 levels) and use it with The Emotion Thesaurus (best serious writer's tool ever!).

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 10:06 am
It is busy work in the sense that although my daughter won't recognize every word, she is basically beyond this level, and the stories are too boring to engage her interest.

That's not to say that the series isn't technically professional.

September June

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 1:03 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
It's like this. The 8th grade level isn't far off, but it's not that engaging.

My daughter doesn't know all the sophisticated words, but she can figure them out from the context.

This is basically just busy work.

Maybe I'll build a curriculum based on the series that appeared in Hamodia, This Is America, about a teenage girl whose family immigrated, and their struggles with keeping Yiddishkeit. Was that published yet? I'm going to check.

This is American is out in book form.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 2:27 pm
Who is the author of This Is America?

September June

Post Thu, Jul 04 2013, 2:29 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Who is the author of This Is America?

Henye Meyer

Here's a link.

spinkles

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 7:44 pm
Mosdos Press and Artscroll's TextWord Press are NOT the same company at all. I used to teach high school English. I HIGHLY recommend the TextWord Press 10th and 11th grade anthologies (more so than the 9th and 12th).

But if you are raising a very Israeli daughter, it may not be for her. The selections are from non-Jewish authors, with objectionable content removed, but it's still not Jewish writing. The taam is different. I used the selections as springboards for discussion/critical thinking/essay writing so it was always interesting to hear how the girls responded to the various things we read.

http://www.textword.com/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics