Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
How to bake a fish WHOLE?

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 10:30 am
Exactly how do I do this?
I have a ‘whole’ baby salmon and I want to bake it in the oven and serve it on a platter Purim by day.

I was thinking that if I put a bit of water, it will become soggy, so I was thinking of putting the fish in a silver foil pouch, and drop it into a pan that already has some water so that it bakes in the steam. What about the spices, do I put that directly on to the fish? Is spices enough?

How long do I bake it, and on what temperature?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:00 pm
please check one of your own posts telling us all how your own mother makes it every year.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:01 pm
DUH I know what she does, I don’t know how long. I also was wondering if there’s a better, more tastier way. I want to hear from amothers Wink

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:54 pm
I've roasted whole snapper and tilapia before, never salmon.

I squeezed lemon onto it, added olive oil, sliced black olives and green onions, S&P, some herb or another. It always came out great, and if you marinade it in the lemon and oil for 2 hours or so, it's even better.
Dunno if that would work for salmon, but I cant see why not? Wink

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:57 pm
It’s on 350 already for an hour and it’s still rubbery looking! I’m losing my brain here because I know that fish doesn’t need more 20 than 20 minutes, however this is one big Mr. Fishman and perhaps he needs more time?

happyone

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 1:11 pm
one 5 pound whole dressed salmon
to taste salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
2 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
for garnish: lemon baskets and fresh parsley

PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
The whole salmon with the head and tail should be fresh or completely thawed, cleaned, scaled, and washed under cold water. Pat dry. Sprinkle the cavity of the fish with salt, pepper, and dill. Brush skin with oil.
Use the largest baking sheet that will fit in the oven. Line the baking sheet with heavy foil, extending over sides of baking pan.
Measure the salmon across at its thickest part. Place the salmon on the foil in the "swimming position". Pour white wine over. Fold long edges and ends of foil over fish, making a double fold to seal.
Bake 15 minutes per inch thickness. When the salmon is done, remove from the oven.
Pull back foil on upper side. Peel away skin on both sides of the fish. Scrape off the dark fatty layer adhering to the flesh.
To transfer the whole salmon on a serving tray or platter, use two or more wide spatulas. Slide a spatula under the entire length of the fish to make certain it does not adhere to any part of the foil. Slide spatulas under the head and the tail end and higher.
Lift off and transfer the whole salmon onto a serving tray or platter. Cover the fish with foil.
Strain the pan juices in a small, heavy saucepan. Reduce the juices to one cup. Pour and strain over the salmon. Garnish the platter with lemon baskets and parsley.
PRESENTATION
Starting at tail end, use a fish knife and fork to loosen fillet. Cut into serving size portions. Slide knife between the fillet and bone to remove the portions. Arrange each portion in the center of warm plates. Before serving the bottom fillet, lift off tail and pull backbone away from flesh, removing the head all in one piece. Bottom fillet is now boneless and easy to lift into serving size portions. Spoon the sauce over salmon. Serve with small parsleyed potatoes, and vegetables

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 2:34 pm
and who wants to look at a whole fish - what are you going to do with the eyeball - what if it stares at somebody

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 2:37 pm
Greenfire, don’t forget – I’m putting an apple in its mouth too…

Ok nuff said, happyone thank you so much, it’s already done! Cant wait to decorate. I am going to make sable & lox ‘roses’ around it, on a bed of romaine.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 2:59 pm
yeah yeah - I won't be there for the "wake"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics