Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Eggs - episode TWO! (pic included)
1  2  Next

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:11 pm
For all those who've been following my other post -I just wanted to inform you that we have indeed a new baby bird today! Just like the first batch, we didn't plan on this. I found an egg on the bottom of the cage so I put a nest box in there, and now there are 5 eggs and 1 hatched baby!

Enjoy! (this baby isn't even an hour old yet!)

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:58 pm
Aw cute!
Youre a really busy mama!

rachel91

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 6:59 pm
So cute :-)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 5:03 am
I missed the first post, what kind of birds are these?

How exciting!

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 3:23 pm
They are lovebirds.
If the rest of the eggs are viable, then I'm really going to be a very busy mama Wink

Here's a picture of the parents:

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 3:26 pm
I guess they're really in love ... mazel tov

[how can you tell if they're boys or girls?]

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 3:31 pm
Thanks! Unfortunately the only way to know their gender for certain is to get a blood test.

chani8

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 3:38 pm
Mazal tov!! The parents are beautiful!

Do you find that the hen gets very raggedy after laying and sitting on her eggs? I've got two mamas and two papas, and the one mama laid 4 eggs, but no babies yet. I think their not viable.

The other mama just laid one egg. Seems she should've laid another one by now.

happyone

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 3:44 pm
Ok. so now I'm tempted to get lovebirds. Wow! They are beautiful... and I think my children would love them.
are they a lot of work? do you keep them in their cage or clip their wings?

MrsDash

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 4:27 pm
Yes, very raggedy! The first time around, the mama lost all her face feathers. She looked like an amish man. LOL

Lovebirds are very sweet, but extremely territorial when it comes to other breed of birds (unless they grew up together) They are a good size, -larger than a parakeet/budgie, but slightly smaller than a cockatiel. They're a little stockier than cockatiels. They are fairly easy to maintain. A cockatiel sized cage is fine for them. I use newspaper to line the bottom of the cage, and it works as a toy as well, because they love shredding the paper. Fresh food (mostly pellets) every day. Fresh water everyday, but more times if the water gets soiled. They like fruits and veggies. But never give them chocolate or avocado. It's toxic for them, and will most definitely make them ill, and kill them.

I clip all my birds wings, and keep them in cages. I take them out several times a day, and sometimes let them play outside of the cage for a while if I'm in the room.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 22 2013, 4:50 pm
now I'm upset because you clip their wings

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 23 2013, 10:11 pm
I clip their wings to keep them safe, and prevent them from injuring themselves. It doesn't hurt. It's like us getting a hair cut. My mother worked for an avian vet, and she was very pro clipping. Most of the injured birds who came in were those that were not clipped.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 2:42 am
MrsDash wrote:
I clip their wings to keep them safe, and prevent them from injuring themselves. It doesn't hurt. It's like us getting a hair cut. My mother worked for an avian vet, and she was very pro clipping. Most of the injured birds who came in were those that were not clipped.

This. My mom always had parakeets, and clipping wings is exactly like clipping your hair. You're only cutting dead cuticle, no where near any blood vessels. Clipping a dog's toenails is far more traumatic, and more likely to cause injury.

Your birds are absolutely gorgeous! I would love to have birds, but my migraines get too bad. All that chirping makes me stabby. Confused Also, totally not a morning person. Nothing should be that cheerful before noon and a cup of coffee! coffee Yawn

wispalover

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 7:33 am
They are so cute.. I do have two questions though:

1) Are lovebirds known as budgies in the UK?

2) Does the flapping of birds over your head not make you feel like you are in some Alfred Hitchcock movie?! I hate the flapping around and flying. Perhaps I am not cut out to own birds although DS is dying for a pet.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 24 2013, 7:59 pm
wispalover wrote:
They are so cute.. I do have two questions though:

1) Are lovebirds known as budgies in the UK?

2) Does the flapping of birds over your head not make you feel like you are in some Alfred Hitchcock movie?! I hate the flapping around and flying. Perhaps I am not cut out to own birds although DS is dying for a pet.

Parakeets are budgies, or budgariers. http://www.parakeetcare.org

Lovebirds are larger, and I think they're members of the parrot family (or at least close cousins).

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 8:54 am
That's why I leave all the morning energy and spunkiness to the birds LOL Some birds are quieter than others. Parakeets NOT being one of them. Of all the birds I have, my little keets are the loudest in the house! They bicker, chirp, and "sing" non-stop all day, every day.

In the US, English Budgies are a slightly larger breed than the regular parakeets. In other countries like in the UK, regular parakeets are known as budgies. Lovebirds are in the parrot family. They are on the smaller side of the parrot spectrum. (Larger ones being African Greys, Amazons, etc)

When you clip their wings, you don't hinder their ability to fly. They are just not able to soar or gain height. If you're going to get a bird for the family, and it would be your first bird, I would get a hand fed cockatiel. They are the sweetest, and mild tempered. You can get a hand fed baby for $50 - $100 depending on where you live and the color variation. I would go to a breeder, because pet shops tend to overcharge.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 5:43 pm
Baby #2 has arrived!

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 1:02 pm
Baby #3 has arrived! Cheers Happy Birthday

happyone

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 1:56 pm
I'm really enjoying these posts, as are my children. What do you do about hand feeding on Shabbos?

MrsDash

Post Sun, Jul 28 2013, 3:41 pm
Thanks! It's nice to know others are enjoying the babies. Very Happy Shabbos I feed them just like any other day. The babies rely on me for sustenance.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets