Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Anyone else dislike Purim? Am I the only one?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:00 am
I am reminded of what I heard R' Blumenkrantz say about how his mother, was always excited to prepare for Yomim Tovim, and was always thanking Hashem out loud for giving her the Koiach to do things for Yom Tov, which was her greatest pleasure in life, which made all the children see and feel the happiness and Kedusha of Yom Tov.
I've also heard R' Paysach Krohn say that our attitude while preparing for Shabbos and Yom Tov gets engrained in the kids and is very important in their Chinuch.
As an older Amother, I wish I could have done things differently. Both of the above Rovs are 100% right.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:16 am
miri123 wrote:
I hate dead lines not the Yom Tov
Now Pesach is lurking around haven't done a thing.
LOL LOL

cl

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:34 am
Killy im so with u - I LOVE PURIM!!!!
u know - I dress up an it makes me feel so much more INTO purim, I think im the only one in our 'crowd' who dresses up properly (like not just a silly hat) an I have so much fun, its like being a kid again an I made seuda this year n last an I was CRAZY busy trying 2 get e/thing done but at least I felt part of the hectic-fun of the day.
an altho I give out healthier MMs its still fun receiving MMs full of nosh an I love going thru all the baskets at the end of the day an sorting all the chocolates into one container, cookies in another etc
And with some of the extra stuff that I dont need or want I put it together an take it to my co-workers and sons' daycare teachers the next day.

Younger Me

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 12:43 pm
Quote:
Killy im so with u - I LOVE PURIM!!!!

hey CL, I knew I had you on my side!! I remember the good old days, even back then, we used to get so into it...

Here, everyone dresses up in my family, so it's tons of fun. but even if they didn't dress up, I still would, it just makes purim more fun...I guess, I'm still a kid![/quote]

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 7:17 pm
Happyone, you might wanna kill me for this one, but I just wish that Purim would last for two days. The only thing I dislike about Purim sometimes, is the feeling of being overwhelmed by having to do so much in so little time. I wish we can have one day for megillah reading and seudos, and another day for mishloach monos and tzedakkah. Trying to get all these into one day is what drives me bananas!
I think that all those people who feel pressured to keep 'up' are their own worst enemies and sorta' 'deserve' to suffer. I know I sound like a bigshot, but I just DON'T get upset or intimidated by what society pressures us with. You do what you CAN do and you do what you GOTTA do.
No offense to anybody's suggestions nor actions, but even the mm cards, and giving up the traditional mitzvos of the day and exchanging them for other mitzvahs is also sort of a copout. This yom tov has its special mitzvos which cannot be done on any other day of the year. There is no reason to twist, change, exchange, or do away with the 'regulalr' mitzvos of Purim.
I just heard this gevaldiga vertel re: the hypocrisy of some on Purim. 'Many people go to Uman for Rosh Hashanah cuz they want to observe the Yom Tov in an atmosphere of simcha, and some people sit in shul all day Purim and cry over their tehillims cuz it's a very heiliga day and you can 'poil big yeshuos'. Get the drift?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 7:39 pm
Downsyndrome, there's an expression you must have heard for that: " a gantz yor shikkor un Purim nichter" Wink I agree with what you're saying. But there IS a big pressure to fit everything into that one day. To say nothing of the monetary pressure.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 8:56 pm
About the suggestion to just toss the junk:
Please don't do that! What a total waste of money and effort.
Find a good cause to give it away to...I think in CH, someone collects Purim nosh for machon Chana girls' lechaims.

One of our neighborhood shuls had a drop box for unwanted nosh, to be used throughout the year for poor families or something like that. I dropped off a huge bag and felt so relieved, and glad to do a mitzva with all that candy.

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 9:12 pm
I can't throw out all those packages of candies, chocolates, cookies, and who knows what else. It feels like Baal Tashchis since people spent money on them.
I wish someone would go shopping in my cabinet. I would gladly give it away if I only knew where.

raizy

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 9:23 pm
candy that is right send it in with your kids to cheider the rebbies use it for bribes for the kids. they dole it out very sparingly. like once a week. etc.

mm- I only give to who I have too, and with 14 teachers and the rest like grandmas 3 and neihbors 3 and dh ravs 3 and dh only cousin 1 and my sissies 3 and our adopted grandma 1 . she has no kids so we kids my family adopted her. etc. and my 3 faverite friends and that all equels to 31 that we have to give . and most of these pple we have to troop in to make a lchaim etc.and sit with them and farbrieng. the kids have to go to rebbies house and eat something with hubby. and after all the grandmas etc. the whole day is practicly gone. so no I can not leave out mm.

and the noise and the dirt and the rushing to megillah leinineg which I arrived late. so I had to stay for the second reading.

and the fact that my baby wasnt feeling well.

and the fact that my almost 3 yrs old had to go make in the car . by the time I opened him up he pished all over ME and my coat and the door to the car was open and the poor kid saw a wolf costume and he got scared and his p. went all over the place.while I was trying to put him on a pamper.

and that my dears were the best day of the life of my 5 kinderlech so they claim . but for me it is pure HELL

case closed. now whose house is pesach cleaned already???

bashinda

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:21 pm
I have no problem throwing out the pure sugar candy. Nobody needs it. Chocolate on the other hand I'll give to an organization but does an organization need laffy taffy and winkies?

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 11:51 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
Happyone, you might wanna kill me for this one, but I just wish that Purim would last for two days. The only thing I dislike about Purim sometimes, is the feeling of being overwhelmed by having to do so much in so little time. I wish we can have one day for megillah reading and seudos, and another day for mishloach monos and tzedakkah. Trying to get all these into one day is what drives me bananas!
I just heard this gevaldiga vertel re: the hypocrisy of some on Purim. 'Many people go to Uman for Rosh Hashanah cuz they want to observe the Yom Tov in an atmosphere of simcha, and some people sit in shul all day Purim and cry over their tehillims cuz it's a very heiliga day and you can 'poil big yeshuos'. Get the drift?

If purim were 2 days, it would most likely make it alot easier.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 12:28 am
Whilst we are still on the topic of Purim u want to have a look and perhaps vote for mine . Once u click on the link u will realize why I had to be amother.

Please click each of the link and vote. Thanks fellow amothers. Smile
http://www.chabad.org/go.asp?p.....90714

http://www.chabad.org/go.asp?p.....90712

http://www.chabad.org/go.asp?p.....90710

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 12:32 am
I already voted for them! amother, I've seen those pics somewhere Scratching Head Wink

ltlesmartmom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 1:35 am
I love purim its time for family and friends we get time to spend with ppl we dont usualy have much time for

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:25 am
NY2434 wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:

If purim were 2 days, it would most likely make it alot easier.

You need to live in Jerusalem. Then you'd have a 3 day Purim every so often. When Purim falls Friday (like it did 2 years ago) then we had megillah reading with the rest of the world Thursday night/Friday morning, matanot l'evyonim Friday (so they'd have for Shabbat too), al hanissim on Shabbat itself, and mishloach manot and the seudah on Sunday.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 9:04 pm
Quote:
I already voted for them! amother, I've seen those pics somewhere

So you probably have Wink
Thanks, nice to know there is one Imamother member who botherd to look and vote Wink

raizy

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 11:14 pm
f I voted for u too. I gave top scores for all your kids.
what your new name again. its too late to remember.my brain cells are dieing on me.

mannyzmom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:55 am
purim is the best. it is one of my favorite holidays. the mitzva is to just give 2 mm so if tis too much for you to give to everyone in the community, dont care what others think and just give a lot less! its hectic and crazy but its also a day to take it easy, everyones drunk, noone cares. I just dont like when ppl dont get into it and dont dress up...

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 4:31 pm
I don't like it for 2 reasons..

1. the mess and noise as happyone said, it's just too much.

2. with all the noise, I'm still dead bored on purim..

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 5:59 pm
Thanks Raizy your avatar has changed too, have you LOL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics