Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Dd's report topic no good

amother

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:46 am
so my dd (age 15 1/2) has to write a report from history. the topic she chose was "hope in the holocaust" as in 'where did people find hope and courage to survive rather than just give up'

well, the teacher took the girls to the local library to get books on their different topics. now, at least 4 days later, the principal decides that my dd cannot use her topic-its too graphic!! my dd said she would not make her report graphic. principal said the teacher will want more information, and then you wont get a good mark!?!?!?

can s/o please explain to me the problem w/ this topic? other topics include spying, 9-11, jfk's assasination.......

why is my dd's topic bad? why is this principal taking away from my dd, who is not overly scholastically inclined, a topic that really interests her?

I am so annoyed w/ this principal!!

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 3:14 pm
That sounds SO frustrating!

I don't think it's great for teenagers to sense discord between parents and school - but is there a way that you could speak directly to the principal about your dd? Perhaps he could hear your concerns about making sure that your dd remains interested in school and doesn't feel discouraged, and he can express any specific concerns about the topic. Maybe this is something that can be addressed through some explicit guidelines instead, or maybe the topic can be tweaked instead of rejected altogether.

BTW - it sounds like an amazing topic to me!

withhumor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 3:16 pm
Amazing is the word. I wonder if this principal has a specific mental block to the holocaust, maybe she’s a child of a survivor?

ssbarnes

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 5:14 pm
I think that it is an excellent topic. I don' t know why the principal and teacher disagree. It is a shame that something she would be so interested in researching, she won't be able to persue.

What was the exact assignment?

I don't think that she should give up on doing a paper on that topic though. Maybe she can contact Yaldah to see if they would consider publishing her paper.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 6:34 pm
I am going to be the mean one heere- but I dont honestly think its a good topic for a history paper. it sounds likea good topic for a hashkafa paper.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 7:59 pm
How frustrating for your daughter - I think that it's things like this that cause some children to give up on doing the work altogether - I hope your d does not have this problem ...

amother

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:
I am going to be the mean one heere- but I dont honestly think its a good topic for a history paper. it sounds likea good topic for a hashkafa paper.

I would agree w/ u if it was the teacher who had a problem w/ her topic. but the teacher loved her topic. it was the principal who decided it would be too graphic.
the pricipal has control issues, and though I love her as a person, the way she runs her school is beyond my understanding.

Quote:
What was the exact assignment?

to write a report about an event in history that interests her.

Quote:
I don't think it's great for teenagers to sense discord between parents and school - but is there a way that you could speak directly to the principal about your dd?

too late, she knows my frustrations, but they are hers too. she also knows I will stand behind the school if dd is in the wrong

she is still looking for another topic.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 11:46 pm
It sounds like an excuse to me. It can certainly be done as history and not hashkafa. personal anecdote sources abound. I would be much more bothered by the choice of JFKs assasination as a frum teacher.

Here the Holocaust is taught from gan on. Graphic or not, it is something Jewish 15 yr olds should be coming to terms with. And it can be told w/o being overly graphic.

I would certainly challenge this one to the top.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 10:33 pm
and now, another girl is not allowed to do her topic-a history of the state of israel!!!!
her books were unacceptable to the principal.

meanwhile, the girl doing the assassination of JFK is reading aloud how jfk's brain ended up in his wifes lap, but I guess that is not too graphic for this principal. AAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics