Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Iraqi beetroot soup kubah recipe

londoner

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:38 am
Looking for a good one. Happy to skip the kubah part.

wispalover

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:53 am
I use this one:

http://myjerusalemkitchen.word.....soup/

londoner

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:57 am
Thanks

baba

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:59 am
No, with the kubbe!
Always with the kubbe!

wispalover

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 10:16 am
baba wrote:
No, with the kubbe!
Always with the kubbe!

My (half kurdish) DH says the same thing. He claims the thing I am missing out on the most, by being a vegetarian, is real kubbeh Smile

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:34 am
wispalover wrote:
baba wrote:
No, with the kubbe!
Always with the kubbe!

My (half kurdish) DH says the same thing. He claims the thing I am missing out on the most, by being a vegetarian, is real kubbeh Smile

feh.

we are lacto/ovo. which means we can have CHEESE all the time. and have made pareve versions of things like dumplings or thanksgiving stuffing that would entice even the most of the meat-eating people I know.

so, how can we change this recipe to make it pareve?

wispalover

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 2:51 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
wispalover wrote:
baba wrote:
No, with the kubbe!
Always with the kubbe!

feh.

we are lacto/ovo. which means we can have CHEESE all the time. and have made pareve versions of things like dumplings or thanksgiving stuffing that would entice even the most of the meat-eating people I know.

so, how can we change this recipe to make it pareve?

I think using morningstar crumbles/ ground up mushrooms/ something resembling ground meat would be the way to go. I am so nervous of doing all the work and then hating the result though- maybe you can go first Wink

My DH also says the kubbeh adom is his least favorite. He prefers kubbe humusta (sour) or kubbeh bamiya (with okra).

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 3:28 pm
Maybe a bit late but I think there's a recipe in Linda Dangoor's cookbook.
As for kubbeh, am I the only one to use ground rice (available at tesco) instead of fine bulghur?
It's not too labour intensive if you mix it with chuck mince & seasoning, instead of making the shells and stuffing (ok admittedly not as authentic). Also they swell up during the cooking so keep it on a smaller size.

I'm also not sure how vegetarian mince would hold--you do need ground meet so it doesn't crumble and fall apart.

baba

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 5:06 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Maybe a bit late but I think there's a recipe in Linda Dangoor's cookbook.
As for kubbeh, am I the only one to use ground rice (available at tesco) instead of fine bulghur?
It's not too labour intensive if you mix it with chuck mince & seasoning, instead of making the shells and stuffing (ok admittedly not as authentic). Also they swell up during the cooking so keep it on a smaller size.

I'm also not sure how vegetarian mince would hold--you do need ground meet so it doesn't crumble and fall apart.

Oh please share a recipe!
My grandmother always made it with rice, we ate it on pesach. It was a red one and I loved it.
I would love to try and make it.

sunny90

Post Thu, Aug 22 2013, 1:41 am
I actually much prefer kubbah with rice, I LOVE my mother's Pesach kubbot! They're much softer and just melt in your mouth...yum...

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:11 pm
For kubbeh:
1lb lean minced beef
1 cup ground rice
a handful chopped parsley leaves

* divide meat into 150g (for shell)/300g (for filling).
* In a blender, whizz 150g meat, 2-3tbsp lukewarm water and ground rice in pulses to make smooth dough.
Mix the remaining meat with parsley, season with a bit of salt & pepper.
* Roll shell into balls the size of walnuts, spread thinly and place a teaspoonful of filling, seal and gently pinch.
(Make sure you have a bowl of water to rinse hands. Place filled kibbehs on a plate and cover with clingfilm).
(To be honest, I just whizz the whole thing and make into quasi-meatballs. I use slightly less meat and
more rice. Also this recipe does not cook the filling, but I've seen other recipes where you brown the meat
filling first.)

For stew:
8 medium beetroot, scrubbed and cleaned, topped/tailed
1 onion finely chopped,
1 tbsp. oil
1 small tin chopped tomato
1 heapful tbsp. tomato paste (concentrate)
juice from 2 lemons (I like it tart, you may reduce this)
1 litre water
1 tablespoon sugar
a handful mint leaves, finely chopped

* wrap beetroots in foil, bake for 1hr at 180C oven. Let cool, chop into small pieces.
* sautee onions in a large pot (large enough to cook kubbe without overcrowding) with oil till soft and golden.
Add chopped tomato, tomato paste, water, season with salt & pepper and simmer for 15min.
* Add cut beetroots, lemon juice and sugar. Check for taste--it should be combination of sweet and tart.
* Drop kubbeh and cook for 20min over a very low heat.
* Turn off flame, add mint leaves.

The recipe calls for 6-8 servings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics