Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Your input wanted! cheapest place to shop in Boro Park
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:16 pm
Please Help!

Where is the cheapest place to shop
groceries
veg/fruits
papergoods - foil pans plates tissues [I know some use dishes - I cant for various reasons]
pharmacy items

in Boro Park

If you have six children what is your approximate monthly or weekly budget on these items?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart

I am going through very rough financial times and am trying to help ourselves embarrassed

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:19 pm
I think Rosner's has very low prices. You can get good deals at KRM, too. The main thing is to comparison shop, since many stores have good prices on some items more than others.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 9:53 pm
If you need one stop shopping with overall best value for you money, KRM is the place to go.

If you want the absolute cheapest, and you're happy to buy whatever is on sale (they have great stuff every week, no worries, and you're willing to pay cash (they don't accept credit cards), then Rosner's is definitely the best place to go. You can fill your house with food for very cheap.

For best prices on meat/chicken, shop KRM sales. Best thing is that in order to purchase sale items from the meat department, you don't need to buy the minimum regular price items.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Aug 11 2013, 11:49 pm
Thanks for the responses keep them coming

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 9:01 am
I found Gourmet Glatt to be all round better quality and prices than KRM.
Of course there are always some things which are cheaper in one place than the other but as a whole, for meats, vegs and special offers, GG has great quality, prices and experience.

There is appetizing plus which is really cheap but no vegs or meats there.

centurion

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 9:38 am
groceries- shop the sales and plan menu accordingly. for standard pantry items I'd recommend krm. dairy- krm or paperific. meats and poultry- this will vary by sale, though off sale I'd stick to krm or gourmet glatt (they have good prices on family packs).
veg/fruits- circus fruits- generally inexpensive, they have cheaper produce on the corner of 59th street. sometimes the stuff is gross, sometimes it's only lightly damaged and great for use the day of purchase. gourmet glatt has decent prices as well.
papergoods - foil pans plates tissues [I know some use dishes - I cant for various reasons] certain paper goods are cheapest by rosners, the caveat: they take cash only or benefit card. krm has decent prices on foil pans, as does paperific. paperific sells an off brand of tissues that is softer than most, a bit more pricey than others but cheaper than kleenex. they also sometimes have good sales on cleaning products.
pharmacy items- for these, coupons can help out a lot so it's worthwhile to shop chain stores for these. I'd also include cleaning products in this category. whenever it doesn't matter, you can usually buy the store brand for cheaper. experiment with cheaper brands, they may surprise you.

kudos for seeking practical solutions for your tough financial times. I hope things will turn around for the better very soon.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 12:13 pm
Is KRM the cheapest option if I don't have a car and need to use their delivery service which is only available for a fee?

centurion

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 3:15 pm
amother wrote:
Is KRM the cheapest option if I don't have a car and need to use their delivery service which is only available for a fee?

That depends on how much you're buying. If your purchases will equal less than three dollar savings (their charge for 5 boxes, $1 for each additional 5), it might be worth to make your order at gourmet glatt, who offers free delivery. Circus fruits also has free delivery. I don't know about paperific, as I have never gotten deliveries from them, but it's worth asking.
in my previous post, I wrote that the least expensive dairy is from KRM or Paperific. I think that rosner's also carries charges less for dairy. can't vouch for that because I very rarely shop there, but when I have been there, they had unadvertised specials on many products.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 8:27 pm
centurion wrote:
amother wrote:

That depends on how much you're buying. If your purchases will equal less than three dollar savings (their charge for 5 boxes, $1 for each additional 5), it might be worth to make your order at gourmet glatt, who offers free delivery. Circus fruits also has free delivery. I don't know about paperific, as I have never gotten deliveries from them, but it's worth asking.
in my previous post, I wrote that the least expensive dairy is from KRM or Paperific. I think that rosner's also carries charges less for dairy. can't vouch for that because I very rarely shop there, but when I have been there, they had unadvertised specials on many products.

Yes, Rosner's has very cheap dairy products, I shop there often.

Reality

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 8:36 pm
centurion wrote:
amother wrote:

Paperific charges $5 for delivery with I think a $75 min not including sales. Not worth it in my opinion if you need to get deliveries.
If you are a healthier shopper I would go with gourmet glatt. The fruits and vegetables are well priced and GOOD quality. Chicken and meat is also well priced. I like that they have a full selection of imported meat that is grass fed as opposed to grain fed. KRM also has the grass fed meat. I think their snacks/junk maybe cheaper but I don't buy too much of that.

The one down side for gourmet glatt if you like to bake, their baking items, ingredients are more expensive. But that is something you can buy at KRM (along with grape juice) and it lasts for a while.

I used to go to circus for fruits and veggies before I went back to work. There stuff was pretty good but their prices have also gone up. Don't know if its that much cheaper than gourmet glatt and its an extra trip in the opposite direction

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
For me it is the cheapest option, because of the meat/chicken - I buy the meat sales each week.

sleepyhead

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 11:27 pm
Which Rosner's are you all referring to? The tiny store on 14 Avenue?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 12 2013, 11:28 pm
sleepyhead wrote:
There are 3 locations. 14th Ave, 16th Ave, and McDonald.

ewilner1727

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 9:20 pm
check out this site http://brandnamedistributors.com/
my friend works for this company and you can order anything from here if you can get a few friends to join and they will deliver for free

Grandmama

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 10:49 pm
Check out appetizing plus on 18 th Avenue. They have great sales on paper goods, and weekly specials on lots of things. They are also very cheap on many items, but don't sell fresh fruits or vegetables.

rydys

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 11:15 pm
The absolute cheapest paper goods I have found are at 14th avenue hardware.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 1:00 am
What types of pharmacy items do you need? No one offered advice about budgets with 6 kids, and tough economic times. I would like to know how I can help you out in an anonymous way. What would help ease your budget? How can amothers be helped by other amothers, either with donations of money, food clothing or other needs? I was unable to sit in shul and concentrate on my davening, knowing one of my fellow amothers was struggling and no one was offering to help in a substantial way.
Maybe we can figure out a way to help those of us that need the help. No questions asked.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 1:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
sleepyhead wrote:
There are 3 locations. 14th Ave, 16th Ave, and McDonald.

Same Rosners from 14th ave has a store on 16th Ave? Where exactly on 16? TIA

amother

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 1:13 am
corner of 55 Street

amother

Post Mon, Sep 16 2013, 1:17 am
OP here

Wow amother that is sooo thoughtful.

It is very difficult for me to swallow the thought that I might need to accept financial help from others so I don't even consider it.

Fancy thinking that a fellow Yid was actually thinking about me on Yom Tov - that is so touching!

In either case I believe that there are rules on this site about donating to people - I gather that on such a public forum unscrupulous people maybe take advantage of kindhearted souls like yourselves.

I actually was thinking about starting some type of fund for families where one parent suffers from a mental illness but in today's economic times I'm unsure if I can ever get such a thing off the ground.

I will say though that when a family has one parent who is medically diagnosed with a mental illness and is medicated it truly affects the whole family and in many cases the family will end up struggling financially as is mine.

I hope I was written down to be blessed with a lot of everything I need.

If someone knows of a legit way to give accept donations on this site maybe I should just go that route?
I will let the One Above figure it all out because I am tired of trying to get it all together.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics