Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Best "I can't believe it's Pesachdik" recipe?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 12:33 pm
Wow, thank you, mom22. I think I will make your apple crumble for my seder. And the kugel sounds beautiful too. How many people do they serve?

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:27 pm
I made kishka from a cookbook but don’t have exact 

Also, we stock up on –

cucumber salad (with lemon)

carrot salad (grated carrot, sugar, lemon, and orange juice)

fruit salad

and the favorite: chicken cutlets!
You coat the cutlets with an egg mixture of eggs and spices. You can also coat it with p. starch first if you use it. so starch, eggs, then NUTS. Groundnuts.!

It’s so yummy, I mix nuts into the crumbs all year round because A – it’s healthier and B – the fat in the nuts retains moisture so the meat doesn’t dry out and it’s really delicious!

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:29 pm
Stir fry chicken:

‘marinate’ chicken strips in wine, oil, spices.

Prepare stir-fry in a pot, whatever you use: Onions, mushrooms etc.

Stir fry with oil until sea-through then add the chicken with marinade. When chicken is browned on both sides, add a bit of chicken stock or water and cook on med. For half hour.

Perfect for chol hamoed when you come home exhausted and you need to whip up something fast.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:31 pm
Family Favorite: sounds strange but is amazingly tasty!

Mix equal parts of Cortland apples and sweet potato, chopped into cubes. This does not mean 6 apples = 6 sweet potatoes. I mean chopped up quantities should be equal so let’s say 4 sweet potatoes to 6 apples.

Then, toss with oil, sugar, and orange Juice. Bake in the oven until soft. This is an amazing and colorful side dish! I did it in a pot one year when I didn’t have an oven.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:52 pm
withhumor wrote:
\
and the favorite: chicken cutlets!
You coat the cutlets with an egg mixture of eggs and spices. You can also coat it with p. starch first if you use it. so starch, eggs, then NUTS. Groundnuts.!

It’s so yummy, I mix nuts into the crumbs all year round because A – it’s healthier and B – the fat in the nuts retains moisture so the meat doesn’t dry out and it’s really delicious!

I tried the chicken cutlets 2 years ago. I put it in the egg and then the ground almonds but it didn't seem to stick to the almonds very well. What's your trick? I don't use potato starch. Should I be using different nuts?

MOM222

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
Wow, thank you, mom22. I think I will make your apple crumble for my seder. And the kugel sounds beautiful too. How many people do they serve?

For the apple crumble- it makes 1 9x13 or 2 round.
And the kugal I can't remember. I think It goes in a 9x13 or 3 loaf pans.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:58 pm
Yes, try finer ground nuts. Also, you can try making jam from apples (cook apples and tons of sugar for hours until it’s mushy, then refrigerate) then use the apple jam as one layer coating, it’s really sticky.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 4:07 pm
I don't think DH would appreciate apple jam but he said he liked the schnitzel go figure. Maybe I'll try filberts this time.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 4:23 pm
Apple jam is really easy to make and it’s yummy. We make ‘sandwich cookies’ from it with lady fingers and for the little ones, we smear it on the matza with butter, mmmmmmmmmmm. You can also make a think sponge cake recipe and roll it up like a jelly roll.

BP MOM

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 5:14 pm
With humor, your recipes sound yummy!
I think im inviting myself to you for a meal or two!!

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:25 pm
Okay, you clean – I’ll cook. Anyone else? I don’t mind cooking for an army, if you’ll clean for my small family…

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:42 pm
I don't know what I'd do with the jam as I don't use lady fingers on Pesach (although erev Pesach I do! Yum! It sounds yum too.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:47 pm
Wouldn't it have made more sense for this thread to be restricted to recipes and not discussion of preferences of what to do in preparation for Pesach? Confused

RedVines

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:03 pm
thank you all...I hope to use some of these!!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 7:57 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
My kids liked it, my Pesach fare is very basic so they considered it a treat.
6 chicken breasts -ground
3 potatoes
carrot 1/2 onion
2 eggs
salt

you grate the vegetables, and mix with the ground chicken and eggs. It will be a sticky mixture, but do not add potato starch, it will only make the mixture more gummy - so it says in the recipe. (I don't use potato starch anyway, unless I take the trouble to make it myself, which I don't!)

shape into balls, put into boiling water, or cook inside the soup.

This recipe is from the purple Spice and spirit Pesach cookbook, it's called chicken dumplings.
I was trying to edit, and clicked on the wrong button Surprised Edited to add that the chicken is supposed to be ground, and the mixture shaped into balls.

sarahd

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 2:37 am
These recipes sound fantastic! I think I'm going to try the apple crisp instead of our usual apple kugel (if the troops allow it, that is. LOL )

MOM222

Post Fri, Mar 09 2007, 11:04 am

Last edited by MOM222 on Mon, Feb 04 2008, 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 12:37 pm
MOM222 wrote:
Raisin wrote:

For the apple crumble- it makes 1 9x13 or 2 round.
And the kugal I can't remember. I think It goes in a 9x13 or 3 loaf pans.

ok, 2nd question - what sort of squash? Would butternut work in taste and size? 3 butternut sounds a lot.

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 1:58 pm
For Tzena Rena:

Here's my mother's falshe fish recipe (basic proportions; obviously we make a bigger recipe):

1 lb. ground meat (we use a combination of chicken and veal)
1 medium onion
1 cooked potato, riced or mashed very well
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. potato starch, dissolved (I know you don't use it; it can be left out with no major harm done.)
water

I process the onion with the eggs, salt and starch, then add to the meat and potatoes. Mix very, very well, adding water as you mix. The water makes the "fish" softer, but too much and it'll fall apart.

We make balls and drop into the same broth we use for year-round gefilte fish.

This also makes great meat loaf, hamburgers, etc.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 6:05 pm
thanks sarahd! it sounds like a good main dish for chol hamoed.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics